FotHB XVI: Fireworks & Beer, What Could Go Wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love me some beer trades! I am going to have to pass on this one- we recently were relocated to SC for work and I am in the process of getting my brewery set back up. All of a sudden temp control has become a priority.

I'm coming to the realization these batches of brews are not really good enough for sharing. Thought maybe aging would help but unfortunately it's not the case. Definitely not up to @Pianoman standards!

Along with that my work schedule is back in flux and I may end up on night shift again real soon.

Since I don't have plans on brewing in the immediate future, I'm going to bow out of this round. Have fun y'all!

If the draft is Aug 23, when's a reasonable ship date?

I'll have 3 different kegs ready by labor day and could probably get a 4th ready within a week of that.
I’d say most folk ship within 4 weeks from the draft but I’ve taken as long 6-7 weeks. People are pretty chill in the thread and as long as your honest and upfront, no one seems to mind

Last edited:
I’d say most folk ship within 4 weeks from the draft but I’ve taken as long 6-7 weeks. People are pretty chill in the thread and as long as your honest and upfront, no one seem to mind
@murphyslaw @Dgallo is right. Just be upfront and honest about it and keep the person who picks you posted as time passes. I personally don’t care how long it takes, it’s only beer (family, work, etc are more important) but an occasional PM checking in goes a long way.

Great, thanks. I'd love to join in on this. I don't think I meet the iTrader requirement, though.

Not sure how to prove I'm not a flake, haha.

I mean, I can prove that I take my brewing seriously, lol: Basement Bar and Brewery
I’m with @RCope you're welcome to join! New blood is always good to have and you have to start somewhere.
If there’s any objections please speak up but as the one running this round (not that it means anything), welcome! 🍻

Great, thanks. I'd love to join in on this. I don't think I meet the iTrader requirement, though.

Not sure how to prove I'm not a flake, haha.

I mean, I can prove that I take my brewing seriously, lol: Basement Bar and Brewery
Well....if you are really serious, you would've updated your fantastic thread that left me hanging since may. 🤣 Seriously though, this is gonna be a fund round as this is my first once of these HB trades as well.

If only I actually had a basement...🤔

No pressure and a friendly reminder, offers due next week. I already received one offer last night.

Now I need to get off my butt & brew so I can put my offer together. 😬

Well....if you are really serious, you would've updated your fantastic thread that left me hanging since may. 🤣 Seriously though, this is gonna be a fund round as this is my first once of these HB trades as well.

If only I actually had a basement...🤔
That last post has the finished pictures!

I use a grainfather so there’s no big kettles to see ;)

Here’s an action pic taken a few minutes ago of what will eventually be one of my 4 to share.

Attachments

• 85F5727D-6EC8-4AB7-9224-80AAAD3B0987.jpeg
    85F5727D-6EC8-4AB7-9224-80AAAD3B0987.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Just wanted to provide an update to the group... After getting my first two brews ready, I came down with a case of COVID. I'm finally almost back to normal so I'm hoping to get the last two brews done ASAP. That said, I'm also being extra cautious so I'll let you guys know if anything changes.

Side note... This is the first beer I've had in a while that actually tasted good. HB Hazy DIPA. Hopefully it'll make it into this trade.

Cheers all!
PXL_20220807_211729772.jpg

Good morning all! Current update on participants and who has submitted offers. Remember the dates are as follow. Does anyone have any obligations with the dates below? I plan to leave late morning on the 19th to take my kids camping for the weekend, so I will be offline most of the day Friday, all day Saturday and Sunday morning. I'll be back Sunday afternoon to run the round Sunday night.

Important Dates and Times:
August 17th - Offers due
August 18th or 19th - List of offers, pick order, and pick times posted once all orders are in
August 21st (Sunday) - Pick Day! First pick is at 5pm PST (8PM EST)

Participants:

@pshankstar
@Dgallo - Offer received
@3 Dawg Night - Offer received
@TwistedGray - Offer received
@aharri1 - Offer received
@fourfarthing
@RCope - Offer received
@DrGMG - Offer received
@Section1 - Offer received
@MajorJC - Offer received
@CaddyWampus - Offer received
@wepeeler - Offer received
@Thorrak - Out this round
@JCasey1992 - Offer received
@LoneTreeFarms – maybe
@Noob_Brewer - Offer received
@murphyslaw

Last edited:
Good morning all! Current update on participants and who has submitted offers. Remember the dates are as follow. Does anyone have any obligations with the dates below? I plan to leave late morning on the 19th to take my kids camping for the weekend, so I will be offline most of the day Friday, all day Saturday and Sunday morning. I'll be back Sunday afternoon to run the round Sunday night.

Important Dates and Times:
August 17th - Offers due
August 18th or 19th - List of offers, pick order, and pick times posted once all orders are in
August 21st (Sunday) - Pick Day! First pick is at 5pm PST (8PM EST)

Participants:

@pshankstar
@Dgallo - Offer received
@3 Dawg Night - Offer received
@TwistedGray
@aharri1
@fourfarthing
@RCope - Offer received
@DrGMG
@Section1 - Offer received
@MajorJC - Offer received
@CaddyWampus
@wepeeler
@Thorrak
@JCasey1992 - Offer received
@LoneTreeFarms – maybe
@Noob_Brewer
@murphyslaw
@BrewMan13 you should get in before it’s too late

Here are the offers (14 participants) for FotHB XVI. What an amazing array of beers to choose from!

@pshankstar's offer:
Half A$$ed Dry Hopped American Pilsner
Pilsner malt, Flaked Corn, Hopped with Opal hops with fermented Nottingham yeast, thus it being Half A$$ed. HAHA It's just an easy drinking dry beer that makes you want to go back for another sip.
4.8% ABV

Hard Lemonade (inspired by @ThirstyPawsHB and his recipe shared on here but slightly altered with ingredients I had on hand) - Not sure what fruit I'll blend with it yet for it's still in the primary.

Dry Hopped Kolsch - Brewing now (well the BIAB is draining while I type up the offers).
Pilsner malt, local flaked wheat from Murmuration Malts just down the road from my house, Farmer's Blend #2 Hops and Lallemand Kolsch yeast.

Full disclosure: Possible all Mosaic IPA with local malts only (from Murmuration Malts) with harvested yeast from a Treehouse IPA, may be brewed soon too. If I can make it happen, I'll toss that in the box as well. Given two of the three brews are recent brews, plus I leave for vacation in 10 days (give or take) for a week, I will not be shipping fast. Please be patient with me.

@3 Dawg Night's Offer:
Sammy the Middle Double IPA
8.5% ABV 200 IBU 6 SRM
Three 1st place awards in Double IPA category.
This is my Pliny the Elder clone. It's been my best beer in competition. It's named after my middle son, who loves the smell of hops. Cascade, Magnum, Simcoe, CTZ, & Centennial hops.

Screaming Eagle Belgian Pale Ale
6.3% ABV 26 IBU 12 SRM
This is a tribute to the 101st Airborne, who fought in Belgium in WWII. It's Belgian enough to be interesting, but not too over the top (if Belgian's aren't your thing). Fuggles & Glacier hops.

McCann's Irish Stout
4.3% ABV 32 IBU 36 SRM
Two 3rd place awards in Irish Stout category.
Just your standard Irish stout. Fuggles & Glacier hops.

GroB Dunkel Gutaussehend Munich Dunkel
5.3% ABV 21 IBU 20 SRM
My first lager, and I'm pleased with how it turned out. Good, clean malt backbone. "GroB Dunkel Gutaussehend" translates from German as "Tall, Dark, Handsome" (at least, that's what Google tells me). Hallertau hops.

The Drovers Arms Dark Mild
3.0% ABV 24 IBU 21 SRM
All of my English beers are named after pubs; some real, some fictional. This one is named after the pub in the books and TV series "All Creatures Great and Small." Fuggles hops.

Mosaic Rabbit American Pale Ale
6.4% ABV 48 IBU 8 SRM
My house pale ale is usually all-Citra. I decided to try it with all-Mosaic. I think it turned out pretty nice.

@Dgallo's Offer:
Hop’d Up and Funky - ABV: 6.2% - a 100% Brett fermented IPA conditioned on apricot purée and dryhoped with enigma

Forager - ABV: 5.9% - a spontaneously fermented farmhouse ale aged on handpicked wild black raspberries and dryhoped with Mosaic hops

Fiona - ABV: 6.8% - A blended Belgian farmhouse ale aged on white grapes and sauvignon blanc conditioned oak spirals

Jammm, She Thiiic! - ABV 7.2% - Dessert inspired Smoothie Style Sour with Strawberry, Blueberry, Raspberry, Tahitian Vanilla , and Cheesecake

Imposter - ABV: 12.6% - an American Barleywine fermented with a Belgian yeast strain, aged on orange zest and bourbon conditioned Oak Spirals

Don’t Blink - ABV: 8.4% - a DIPA hopped with Citra and Nelson

Capitán Mosaicoe - ABV: 8.1% - Double NEIPA massively dryhoped with Simcoe and Mosaic.

@MajorJC's Offer:
  1. Peanut Butter Nightmare - Backyard Laboratory - Untappd - Peanut Butter Porter
  2. You Sunk My Battleship! - Backyard Laboratory - Untappd - American IPA
  3. Sherri's Favorite Porter - Backyard Laboratory - Untappd - Coffee Porter
  4. Peach, orange, and cantaloupe melomel ~13% ABV - 2014 vintage
  5. Watermelon melomel ~13% ABV - 2018 vintage
  6. A possible SMaSH with 2-row and Huell Melon at 16 IBUs if I get to brew next week. American Pale Ale

@JCasey1992's Offer:
1) Better Than Bud [American Light Lager]

Pseudo American Light Lager brewed with Willamette hops and fermented with Lutra Kveik yeast.
ABV - 4.7%
IBU - 13
SRM – 2.5

2) Juiced! Hazy DIPA [NEIPA]
DDH Hazy DIPA brewed with Citra, El Dorado and Mosaic hops and fermented with Verdant IPA yeast.
ABV – 8.3%
IBU - 65
SRM – 4.4

3) Seventh Inning Schwarzbier [Schwarzbier]
Pseudo Schwarzbier brewed with Magnum and Hallertau Hops and fermented with Lutra Kveik yeast.
ABV - 5.2%
IBU - 26
SRM – 23.5

4) Seventh Inning Schwarzbier W/ Coffee [Schwarzbier]
Same beer as above with cold brew concentrate added at kegging.
ABV - 5.2%
IBU - 26
SRM – 23.5

@wepeeler's Offer:
1 Definitely going to have a Kolsch 4.9%. All noble hops, Omega Kolsch II yeast. Crisp, clean, touch of lemon up front. Fantastic beer.
2 Hazy ipa/NEIPA 7.5% - Simcoe Strata. New hop combo for me. Going into keg this week. Hoping for a dank, citrus bomb.
3 American Pale Ale 5.5% - Citra Mosaic. West Coast-ish. Strong bitterness, but nice malt backbone. 2 Row, Munich, Crystal 40L. Summer crusher
*4 Tentatively going to add in a German Pilsner 5%, but have to see how that turns out. First time fementing cold and slow for a month. Going into keg next week. Traditional German Pils - All Pilsner malt, 34/70 yeast, noble hops.

@Noob_Brewer's Offer:
Czech Dark Lager
– 5.5% ABV, 24IBUs. A more “traditional” brew that is velvety smooth with a little residual sweetness on the end.

Single Hop NEIPA – 6.5% ABV, standard simple NEIPA grain bill (75% 2row, 10% white wheat, 10% malted oats, 5% carafoam), clean yeast US-05. Intended to showcase the only hop used throughout – Nectaron.

Imperial Stout – 10% ABV. Been in the keg since July 2021. Beer has rounded out very nicely. Nothing special added, just a good ol standard imperial stout that is very smooth.

Blueberry Wheat Ale – 5.7% ABV. Basic wheat ale base (50% 2 row/50% white wheat & spelt) with WB-06 yeast.….then (truth in advertising) I cheated my ass off and added <1ml of blueberry extract (One-On-One flavors) to the keg. Wife loves it.

Double NEIPA 7.6% ABV. Hops: Moutere, Riwaka, & Nelson. Will be kegging this beer ~Aug 21st (draft day), but pre-dry hop hydrometer sample is promising. Aiming to send my offer out as soon as this is carbed and ready to bottle.

@DrGMG's Offer:
Critical Hop Theory 10% IPA (gold medal winner)
Critical Hop Theory - Graco's Brewery - Untappd
Ode to Pliny the Younger, brewed with Simcoe, Centennial, CTZ, Amarillo, and hop extract.

Danksy With Wolves 7.7% IPA
Danksy With Wolves - Graco's Brewery - Untappd
DIPA made with centennial, Triumph, mosaic, Amarillo, and Florida grown Zeus. Fermented with Conan. Dank as hell.

Czech 1, 2, 3 6.8% Czech Premium Pale Lager
Czech 1, 2, 3 - Graco's Brewery - Untappd
Czech lager made with Saaz and fermented with Bohemian lager yeast.

*TBD I will be brewing a maple/blueberry imperial brown, a cold IPA, and a hazy soon. I also have an imperial rye stout with vanilla, aged in a rye bourbon barrel that I will be bottling soon and may be able to add it as well.

@TwistedGray's Offer:
• River Bugs - (session RRiver brett fermented saison)
• 'Merican Funk (strong saison)
• Fields of America (strong wheat beer)
• Smolnisky the Cossack (RIS)
• Lookin' for my Huckleberry (locally foraged huckleberry ale, session)

@Section1's Offer:
Slum Lord - Special Bitter. A malty and medium hopped English Ale. 5.3%.

Black Cat- Dark Mild. Light and easy to drink. English Fuggle hops. 3%.

Buried Treasure - Cream Ale. Lawnmower beer. Light and clean. 5%.

Take the 5th - Oatmeal Stout. First time making this and haven't tried it yet. It looks good though. Should be done in a week or so. 5.5%.

Possibly something else if it finishes by the time I ship.

@CaddyWampus's Offer:
1. Vienna Lager - made with 100% Epiphany Craft Malt Vienna Malt and hopped with hersbrucker and tettnang (not actually brewed yet, but hope to be brewed before the week is over)

2. Traditional Mead - made with honey from only a few miles up the road. This is somewhere between dry and semi sweet. I didn’t get a FG reading after backsweetening.

3. Dry Hopped Cider - dry cider hopped with citra hops added right after peak krausen.

4. I have a few other things in the works (and already completed) that I will communicate with whoever drafts me.

@fourfarthing's Offer:
ESB with Fuggles and EKG
Robust Porter
Brett IPA
**Maybe others.**

@RCope's Offer:

1660863474979.png

1660863495039.png

@aharri1’s Offer:
"Teepee for my bunghole!"
ABV 5.7% IBU 27.5

American lager with pilsner, flaked corn, and Wyeast bohemian lager yeast. I used Perle, hallertau mittelfrueh, and Mandarina Bavaria hops.

"Magellanic Comet Tails"
ABV 9.1% IBU 89

West coast double IPA with golden promise as the base and a dash of C40.
First wort / bittered with some homegrown comet whole cone and pellets. Whirlpooled with 6oz of equal parts comet, azacca, and El Dorado. Dry hopped with 4oz Azacca and 4oz El dorado at terminal. Escarpment labs Cali ale yeast was used.

"All Barke No Bite"
ABV 5.6% IBU 38.6

German pilsner with 100% barke malt, double decocted, and step mashed. I used perle for bittering plus hallertau traditional and mittelfrueh for aroma. Imperial harvest yeast was used at 50° and it was spunded at 8psi of pressure.

"Blossomberry"
ABV 13.8%

1.5 year old melomel mead with 50/50 orange blossom and wildflower honey. Fermented with Oslo kveik and fruits were added in secondary post fermentation. I used one whole pineapple, 1 lb strawberries, and 1 lb blueberries. Semi-dry and back-sweetened with wildflower honey.

"Extra Crispy Juicy"
ABV 8% IBU 68.3

Cold IPA with Triumph, Idaho Gem, and Galaxy hops. 70% pilsner and 30% corn. I used Imperial harvest L17 at 60°. Whirlpooled with Idaho gem and triumph, then bio hopped with those plus a large dose of Galaxy hops.

Of course some extras will be thrown in from my collection of local beers!

Last edited:
Back