FotD Secret Santa Beer Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a pretty nice list of everyone who's participated in FOTD. Just wanted to recognize that. I might save this post for reference.

I combined the lists of participants in the FotD tracker from the past 5 rounds.

Makes an effective call-out when I can’t yell at someone for not sending the template!

Anticipation is killing me
500_F_121843713_r8oCKgZpmuyBX9cbNSF9hwJ7m0z6qdkY.jpeg

Aaaaaand emails have been sent! If you didn't get an email with the subject "FotD Secret Santa" check your spam folder (I didn't get any bouncebacks). If you still don't see it, PM me here directly.

As always, if you have any problems, shoot me a PM and I'll get it taken care of!

just got mine, should we alert Just got mine, should we alert our recipients that it has been sent or is it supposed to just be a surprise?

just got mine, should we alert Just got mine, should we alert our recipients that it has been sent or is it supposed to just be a surprise?

Excellent question!

I have no idea. Anyone have an opinion on this one? There's three options, the way I see it:

1. No. It's a secret to everybody (and if a porch pirate steals your beer, you'll know after the shipping window closes)
2. Yes, but it's a secret to nobody. (Santas PM their giftee with tracking info)
3. Yes, but it's a secret to everybody except me (Thorrak). Santas PM me the tracking info for their recipients, and I act as a proxy & pass it along.

I kind of like #3 even though it's more work, as it will help keep track of the shipping status of things.

I like #3 as well but there’s a good amount of people who I’ve traded beers with. If I get a tracking number I can see who the shipper is or where it’s from. That would take the surprise away some but I understand why to do this too.
Do many people have issues with porch pirates?
I can’t say enough that I’m super excited for this! I won’t look at the tracking number to help keep the surprise so #3 I think is best.

I live in a secure building so I don't have a issue with porch pirates. What if Thorrak just sent a pm saying your package has shipped? Then that way no one gets a tracking number but they can be on the lookout for a package?

Fine with me. I can always keep the tracking number handy/quickly check it to see what date it's likely to arrive as well. It's a bit more work, but honestly it will be spread across two weeks, so I'm cool with it.

I like #1 , maybe we drop a post here on the day our giftees are supposed to get a delivery? That way it's a surprise until the last minute. And @Thorrak will be just as in the dark as the rest of us.
Unless @Thorrak already knows who his santa is from sending emails. Then, #3

I like #1 , maybe we drop a post here on the day our giftees are supposed to get a delivery? That way it's a surprise until the last minute. And @Thorrak will be just as in the dark as the rest of us.
Unless @Thorrak already knows who his santa is from sending emails. Then, #3

I don't know who my Santa is, but I also am fine with my Santa just not sending me tracking info. We've got someone downstairs who receives packages, so I'll get the beer regardless of when it comes (and can always look at the list myself if nothing arrives by the end of the shipping window)

I like #1, keep it a secret for everyone. I don’t know if any boxes that have gone missing in these trades. But majority rules.

Edit: Got my email

I like #1, keep it a secret for everyone. I don’t know if any boxes that have gone missing in these trades. But majority rules.

Edit: Got my email

I agree with this statement.

Just to clarify, we also wait to ship until the designated shipping timeframe, correct?

I don't think boxes have gone missing, but there have been a number of confiscated boxes. I won't name names...

Yeah, and I think they weren’t really confiscated as much as they were undeliverable due to bottle bombs, if we are talking about the same cases. Not that I have first hand knowledge mind you, [emoji4]

This is definitely the only shopping I enjoy. I’m just about done. @Thorrak, Did we decide to stick to the shipping dates, or is shipping early allowed? I don’t want to ruin the surprise for anyone.

This is definitely the only shopping I enjoy. I’m just about done. @Thorrak, Did we decide to stick to the shipping dates, or is shipping early allowed? I don’t want to ruin the surprise for anyone.

I think the plan is to stick with the shipping window but I could be wrong.
This shopping is fun for sure!

I would say unless anyone can’t ship or receive during the window that sticking to the dates is preferable.

Latest posts

Back