Forgot to order priming suger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingwmelon

Reaction score
So I have a batch of strawberry blond ready to bottle but I forgot to order the prepackaged priming auger with it. Can I just use table suger or try to find corn suger at the store? Thanks

I have never seen corn sugar in any grocery store or farmers market. You can prime with table sugar, honey, corn syrup, etc. Figure out what you want to use and then you have to figure out how much. It is not exactly the same amount.

I've done that a few times, I personally just order the priming sugar and let the batch go a few more days in the fermenter while waiting on the shipment. A few more days in the fermenter can only help your brew, thats how I look at it.

+1 for order it and just wait.
Its not going to hurt your beer to sit for a couple of days, it will only get better

With the small amount of priming sugar in the brew, using table sugar is not going to give any noticeable off flavors. I always use table sugar when I prime, as do many others.
But don't take my word for it, see http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-3.html and if you look at the next page, there's a nomograph for calculating the right amount of cane sugar.

-a.

+1 to table sugar. No off flavors, but it can take a bit longer "sometimes" to carb up. The yeast do have to invert the sugar first.

I haven't used dextrose as priming sugar in a long time, I now use table sugar. There is no noticeable taste difference to me. I did use too much recently and had super-heady beer (all head) and a few explosions. Make sure you pay attention to the amount, I use 1/2 to 2/3 cup table sugar per 5 gallon batch.

I would just say to use pure cane table sugar, and not anything like powdered sugar (because it has cornstarch in it), or that beet sugar that's often the really cheap table sugar at the store.

Latest posts

Back