fix a bitter beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srmcnaughton

Reaction score
hey guys I've searched this but didnt find much relevant.

so I kegged a finished wort in a bag kit, but it's to bitter for my taste. is there any way to fix this? add sweetness to it?
it's not a bad tasting beer, just not my taste
thanks

How long was it conditioned? Flavors will generally mellow with age.
I'm not familiar with "wort in a bag". What is the recipe and process?

The hop bitterness will fade with time. You'll lose about 25% of that bitterness in about 2 months.

Depending on what style you made, I've also cut perceived bitterness in short order by adding about a capful of vanilla extract per 5 gallons, swirling it in gently to avoid oxygenation. The vanilla covers it quite well.

I've also heard of people cutting perceived bitterness by adding coffee. Just make about 4 cups of strong coffee in the coffee maker, cool it a bit, then add to 5 gallons, swirling it in gently to avoid oxygenation.

If either one of those two flavors will compliment the brew style you made, those will help nicely. Obviously you don't want to use these if vanilla or coffee wouldn't work with the brew style.

Good luck!

If there is still a lot of yeast in suspension (ie young or 'green' beer) you could be tasting the harsh bitter yeast/hop particulates that are in suspension. Let the bottles sit and settle for another week and give them a shot.

what style of beer is it? What's your process?

Back