Fishing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I have a mission for you fisherpersons if you choose to accept it.

I am going to see my inlaws at their summer place in Presque Isle MI at the end of the month (he grew up in Michigan a bit further South). My father-in-law is the opposite of f-i-l stories you have heard... he's one of the kinder, more welcoming, saner, interesting, generous and thoughtful people on the face of the planet. I thought one small thing I could do to show him I care is make a fish dish that is traditionally Michigan from whatever we caught. Any ideas? Keep in mind we will have little control over WHAT we catch...

Hey I have a mission for you fisherpersons if you choose to accept it.

I am going to see my inlaws at their summer place in Presque Isle MI at the end of the month (he grew up in Michigan a bit further South). My father-in-law is the opposite of f-i-l stories you have heard... he's one of the kinder, more welcoming, saner, interesting, generous and thoughtful people on the face of the planet. I thought one small thing I could do to show him I care is make a fish dish that is traditionally Michigan from whatever we caught. Any ideas? Keep in mind we will have little control over WHAT we catch...

You could catch perch, trout, walleye, pike, crappie and fry it. That's always good :)

Awesome thread!

My other hobby! Fishing!

Ling Cod out of Ucluelet British Columbia and a couple of Coho out of the waters in front of Sekiu Washington.

lingcod.jpg

20130816_095758.jpg

Muskies in a canoe. Must have been crazy. I've had muskies pull fishing boats.

It was actually a 12ft plastic jon boat. Not much of an upgrade from a canoe but a little bigger. We have an electric motor on the bow. It's hard to tell by the pic but the wind was unreal that day. I could make a cast and then put the motor on full blast so we didn't get pushed to the bank.

I just bought a 14 ft aluminum jon boat because I don't want to deal with the small one anymore. We'll still use it though. It fits nice in the bed of the old truck. We cannot get a trailer into some of the lakes. It's just tough to stand in all day casting big lures.

For that Michigan recipe try some walleye fillets with the y-bone removed and then slice the filet in half lengthwise. Cut each piece twice into smaller pieces. Whisk two eggs together then add half a bottle of Michigan homebrew. In another container mix 1 1/2 cups Drakes Fry Mix and 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs). Pat the walleye dry with paper towels. Dip the fish in the egg/beer then into the fry mix. Drop them into hot oil and after a few minutes they'll look like this:

Results from jigging on the Canadian side of the Detroit River.

Had a trip of a lifetime with my high school fly fishing buddy. We went to Mongolia to hunt taimen!

We both managed to hook one but failed to land the sly foxes. Whilst barbless hooks are mandatory over there to protect the species, I have no good excuses. They're just smart and tough fish. We landed tons of grayling and lenoks though. Try double-hauling a taimen streamer in the wind! That should be a new discipline by itself.

The only person to land a taimen was our guide! He's a kid from Wyoming and must have been like 19 yrs old. Bast@rd!
IMG_0248.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0276.jpg

Although they are an invasive species, we have some massive northern pike up here in parts of Maine. I pulled a big one out of a hole ice fishing once.

But mostly I like throwing dry flies on the Kennebec for trout or salmon.

We have size limits on pike around here, like 21" or 24", something like that. Hard to get one that size or more without a boat. Toothy buggers ate right through my steel leaders too! Those were at what we used to call "hot waters" over in Lorain by the old electric plant.

Although they are an invasive species, we have some massive northern pike up here in parts of Maine. I pulled a big one out of a hole ice fishing once.

But mostly I like throwing dry flies on the Kennebec for trout or salmon.

How good is the trout and salmon fishing up there? I talked to a guy once that said it was terrible fishing and bad management. Sounds like that may not be true?

I thought there are no Atlantic salmon really that came up the rivers there anymore?

I'd love to get up there some day to do some trout or salmon fishing. Online resources that I've found are very limited on what kind of fishing opportunities are up there.

Latest posts

Back