first timer with some questions about fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Refrigerate or room temp?

• Total voters

billyogoat

Reaction score
Hey yall,

it's my first time brewing anything. I've got incredibly limited resources, but I believe I'm on the right track to making my first batch of wine. I added some bakers yeast to some grape juice after activating it and saturating the juice with more sugar for the yeast to eat and I've secured a balloon over the top of the bottle with a rubber band so the gasses can escape.

however, I've heard conflicting advice on whether I should keep the bottle cool or at room temp while the yeast ferments. I've kept the mixture in the fridge overnight, but it looks like the yeast has separated from the mix. I'm worried I've fouled up my batch, any advice on whether I should keep the batch refrigerated or take it out and let it ferment at room temp? Or have I fouled up so bad I should just ditch the jug and start over?

Bread yeast and grape juice...are you making a sandwich?

Seriously, get wine yeast, its less than a dollar a pack.
they didn't sell it at my local grocery store. The recipe I followed said it would be fine but the alcohol content would be lower, which I'm fine with, I'm really just in this for the fun of it. Next batch I'll try a little harder to get vintner's yeast.

What's the starting gravity? Bread yeast does not make a great wine but it can go the distance in terms of fermenting sugars brut dry... The distance , that is, if the potential ABV is typical and not rocket fuel. Bread and wine yeast (and beer yeast) are with few exceptions all the same yeast - Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The only difference being that wine yeast has been selectively cultivated to enhance fruit flavors and mouthfeel and the like whereas bread yeast is selected for its ability to produce good bread.

Bread yeast and grape juice...are you making a sandwich?

I have heard of PB&J wine....

they didn't sell it at my local grocery store

If you plan on continuing making wine, you would do yourself a favor by finding your local home brew store and exploring their equipment/ingredients. You will definitely make better wine with the right equipment.

Back