First time kegging and have a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLewis15

Reaction score
Well I will be kegging my first batch of beer tomorrow evening and I just have a few questions before I start.

I have a standard pin lock keg setup from keg connection with a 5# tank.

I will be cleaning and sanitizing with Iodiphor solution. I will make sure to soak all connectors, valves and the dip stick too. I will then rinse in hot water.

My main question is as follows: The beer I am brewing requires the addition of different berry flavors and needs three weeks to mellow out after kegging/bottling. I was planning on doing natural carbonation. I understand that you use half the amount of priming sugar. If I decide to do natural carbonation, should I pressurize and purge after filling just to make sure there is a great seal? If so, what PSI should I bring it to before purging.

If I were to do force carbonation would I need to let it sit in the keg for 3 weeks then pressurize the keg fully? (No addition of priming sugar)

I guess my question is, what's the best way for me to go about this. Thanks! :mug:

Iodophor isn't a cleaner. so, use a cleaner like oxyclean and THEN rinse, and sanitize with diluited Iodophor, and don't rinse after the Iodophor!

After you fill the keg (yes, use 1/2 the regular amount of priming sugar), give the keg a big shot of co2 (like 30 psi) and purge a couple of times and do it again. Finish with a shot of co2. I like to take a spray bottle of soapy solution (like star-san, but dish soap/water is fine) and check for any leaks.

Then, you can set it in a warm place and it will be carbed up in 2-3 weeks.

If you're force carbing, you stick it in the kegerator at 10-13 psi for one to two weeks, and it'll be ready.

The guy at my local HBS told me Iodiphor is a cleaner. He also told me Oxyclean would pit stainless steel.

Haha that's what I thought!

After I do the purging cycle, you said finish with a shot of co2. What PSI should that be?

I have a really dumb question

After the last shot of c02, do I leave it in there for the 3 weeks? or let it out right away just so it seals

Oh wow. Just realized what I have done haha I'm so sorry.

Shouldn't have assumed you were "the man"

This whole thread seems so much worse now. Just go back and read it and keep in mind I thought you were a guy

Oh wow. Just realized what I have done haha I'm so sorry.

Shouldn't have assumed you were "the man"

This whole thread seems so much worse now. Just go back and read it and keep in mind I thought you were a guy

I know- that's why I was teasing you. :cross:

I'm a small middle aged woman, about 135 pounds, and a grandmother to boot. That's why I was laughing so much. I am hardly "the man"! And you probably WOULDN'T offer me a pick up beer. But I still had to tease you a little bit anyway!

Latest posts

Back