First time bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todes

Reaction score
How long do I have to wait after I applied Star san to the bottles till I can fill them with the beer?

I used this device for applying the Star San.
The bottles are new.

Thanks

sanitizador-de-botellas-brewmaster.jpg

Only wait until the excess Star San solution has drained out of the bottle. Having a little foam in the bottle when filling is not a problem. Star San is a wet sanitizer. When the surface dries it is no longer being protected.

Ok, so they dont have to be in the fast rack?, or when do I use the Fast rack?

the fast rack is a nice way to keep the bottles clean while draining them. The fast racks are basically used after rinse and soak, and if I am not bottling right after (think 10-20 minutes) after sanitizing, i will use my fast racks then. (they also fit easily in a 5 gallon bucket, they get a sanitized rinse as well) but I always bottle within an hour of sanitizing.

Ok, so they dont have to be in the fast rack?, or when do I use the Fast rack?

I put my sanitized bottles in the FastRack to drain and take the bottles from the rack as I'm filling. I have 52 sanitized bottles on hand for a five gallon batch. The extra four bottles are put into the rack to drain after I have taken four bottles out.

I fill one bottle with beer with one hand, while pumping star san into the next bottle using the vinator with the other hand. The sanitized bottles never sit around, and it keeps the process simple. And it eliminates the need for a space to put the sanitized bottles.

I fill an extra, clean and sanitized fermentation bucket with clean water/StarSan solution and dunk as many clean bottles in the bucket as I can so that they're totally submerged (6 to 8 bottles). Pull a bottle out, dump all of its sani-water contents back into the bucket and simultaneously replace that bottle with another clean, empty bottle, totally submerged. I then immediately fill the first sanitized bottle with beer and cap. Repeat this rotation until I'm out of bottles. There's usually a bit of foam in the bottle I'm filling, but this gets pushed up and out as I fill with beer (using a wand). I'm no expert - at all - but this method has worked well for all 4 of my batches (5 gal. ea.). If any experts see a problem with this method, I'd welcome the tip.

I fill an extra, clean and sanitized fermentation bucket with clean water/StarSan solution and dunk as many clean bottles in the bucket as I can so that they're totally submerged (6 to 8 bottles). Pull a bottle out, dump all of its sani-water contents back into the bucket and simultaneously replace that bottle with another clean, empty bottle, totally submerged. I then immediately fill the first sanitized bottle with beer and cap. Repeat this rotation until I'm out of bottles. There's usually a bit of foam in the bottle I'm filling, but this gets pushed up and out as I fill with beer (using a wand). I'm no expert - at all - but this method has worked well for all 4 of my batches (5 gal. ea.). If any experts see a problem with this method, I'd welcome the tip.

Exactly what I do as well.

My method is to clean the bottles before hand and leave them in the dishwasher. The day of bottling, I run the dishwasher on high heat with no detergent. Then I dunk the bottles in a bucket of sanitizer. Once I'm done with all the bottles, I transfer the beer to the bottling bucket, and bottle. I fill all the bottles first, then cap. Anything I'm doing wrong?

I fill one bottle with beer with one hand, while pumping star san into the next bottle using the vinator with the other hand. The sanitized bottles never sit around, and it keeps the process simple. And it eliminates the need for a space to put the sanitized bottles.

Exactly how I did it, and once filled, set a cap on. Once you have 6 bottles, then cap and put away. Keeps the filling stations less cluttered and easy to work around.

I have found that the dishwasher works great as a bottle rack. I put 12 bottles at a time in a bucket of star San, drain and place upside down in the dishwasher, which I also spray down with star San. I then rack beer and priming solution in the bottling bucket, line my bottles up on a towel on the floor, fill, cap, and label.

My method is to clean the bottles before hand and leave them in the dishwasher. The day of bottling, I run the dishwasher on high heat with no detergent. Then I dunk the bottles in a bucket of sanitizer. Once I'm done with all the bottles, I transfer the beer to the bottling bucket, and bottle. I fill all the bottles first, then cap. Anything I'm doing wrong?

To me it would depend on how you "clean the bottles before hand". The dishwasher isn't good for cleaning bottles because of the small opening - water doesn't get to all parts of the bottle. But if you're giving them a good cleaning, it looks fine. Then running the dishwasher seems unnecessary, but shouldn't hurt.

I don't use the dishwasher for cleaning. Just sanitizing.
After I've used a craft beer bottle I immediately rinse them out and allow them to dry. That way no ick grows.
Then before bottling I pop them in the dishwasher on Hi temp scour to sanitize them.

Then I bottle over the door and use it as a drip tray.

After I've used a craft beer bottle I immediately rinse them out and allow them to dry. That way no ick grows.

Same. I keep a bottle brush under the sink for this very reason. Very small efforts to rinse and clean each time we enjoy the product. Pays dividends on bottling day.

Back