First Cider Brew - Water Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasd9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How important is it to boil all the water that will be used to make my first Apple Cherry Cider? The instructions say to boil 1 gallon of water and dissolve 2 lb of dextrose, add to fermenter once it is cooled then top up to 6 gallons. Should the top up water be boiled also? I'm using RO water. Thanks

As far as I'm aware the boiling of the first gallon is just to help the sugar dissolve much more easily so you don't have to stir / shake your FV like crazy when you add it so I don't believe the top up water needs to be boiled but hopefully somebody a little more experienced can chime in here too in case I'm totally wrong!

I see no need to boil anything. In my opinion boiled water tastes rather flat and lifeless. The only reason to do so is to sterilize it and your RO does a great job at that. Honestly the RO water may remove some flavor as well and some of the micro nutrients that our yeast appreciate. (I use purchased spring water for all my ciders if adding water.)

If you are concerned about the dextrose dissolving then add some water to a pan and just warm it and mix your dextrose in until dissolved.

Agree with Cortex and CKuhns, could just use hot water to dissolve the sugar ( and or any concentrate). I would just use tap water that I added some sodium metabisulphite to as a means to remove the chlorine.
Not sure of a water profile for cider as I just used tap water, the wine kits just use tap water.
Beer a totally different ball game with water but we aren't making beer.

Thanks for the replies on this subject. DuncB, I like your statement "we are not making beer". That kinda puts things in perspective.

Latest posts

Back