Bottling cherry cider.. Add yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brodkat

Reaction score
First time posting. I'm making cherry cider and have stored 1.3 gal in oak barrel for a little over 6 months. Beautiful color, tastes really good, SG=1.01. I expected SG would be no alcohol. I want it to be sparkling so I was going to add sugar to SG =1.01. My take is that the yeast died at some point in the barrel and didn't finish fermenting.
My question is: should I add a new batch of yeast and maybe yeast nutrient before bottling?

Yes - Add Yeast -residual sugars should plus additional yeast give you a nice sparkling mead.

First time posting. I'm making cherry cider and have stored 1.3 gal in oak barrel for a little over 6 months. Beautiful color, tastes really good, SG=1.01. I expected SG would be no alcohol. I want it to be sparkling so I was going to add sugar to SG =1.01. My take is that the yeast died at some point in the barrel and didn't finish fermenting.
My question is: should I add a new batch of yeast and maybe yeast nutrient before bottling?
First off—welcome!

Are you stating SG is 1.010 or 1.001? Without all three digits to the right of the decimal, I don’t know if this is a typo or you just dropped the zero at the end. I know I’m guilty of plenty of typos…

What was your OG? What yeast? There’s a chance you’ve already reached the alcohol tolerance and that’s why you were left with excess sugar. If the existing ABV exceeds the alcohol tolerance of your yeast addition, it might not perform well.

Back