First Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainbrewdude

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am making my very first brew, I have a question, I used iodophor to sanitize before I started. Does this air dry or should I rinse it out with some boiled water or will a little left in the fermenter hurt anything? I am sure this has been asked but I cannot find the exact answer anywhere!!! Thanks in advance.

It depends. How strong of a concentration did you use? About 1/10 oz or so per gallon is fine to air dry. If you used too much more than that, you should probably rinse.

Iodophor is a wet contact sanitizer. If it's completely dry, it's no longer doing anything.

If you rinse, it's no longer sanitary because you have just reintroduced whatever bacteria or other microbes that may be lurking in the water or the vessel that you use to transfer the rinse water. Even if you boil the water you're just creating more work for yourself.

Just leave it slightly wet and you'll be fine. The Iodophor will not adversely affect the yeast. Search around on here and you can get a good idea of the best sanitizer for you.
Good luck!

Most homebrewers use too concentrated a solution of Iodophor. If you use the recommended dilution (1 teaspoon per 1.5 gallons of water), then you shouldn't rinse with water. What little solution is left in the vessel will be OK. However, if you make a dilution that's over twice the recommended concentration....you're solution becomes a disinfectant and needs to be rinsed with water then.

Also, I know you are supposed to keep the lid on during the boil, but my 3 gallons is taking FOREVER!!! Since it is not all grain, is this still true?

You can use your lid to bring your wort to a boil, and remove it once you get it boiling... you shouldn't have trouble keeping the boil on a 3 gallon batch....

Your beer will come out a bit darker and you may not get slightly less bitterness out of hops although there's a few who say they haven't noticed a difference...

You can also leave the lid partially on the pot as a second option...

Is your stove gas or electric? I have a gas stove and it really helps to get things boiling if I put the pot so that it is partially on top of two burners (both on high) at once.

Back