First Batch of Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
Okay so it has been 8 days since i put my brew into primary ferment. I was not able to get a OG reading because i forgot.

Today I transferred to secondary. I got a gravity reading of 1.011. Does this even need to be sitting in the secondary or can i go straight to bottles because of the low gravity.

I was originally thinking of putting it in secondary for another 7 days and then bottle the day after christmas.

Here are some pics of the brew and reading

47655_1796317832924_1389069637_32008724_649832_n.jpg

Gravity Reading

165751_1796318192933_1389069637_32008728_4713647_n.jpg

only way to really know is subsequent testing. if the SG remains stable over the course of several days, it is stable. if i were in your shoes, forget about the secondary. measure it again in 4-5 days, if the SG is the same then cold crash it for a day or two. bottle, condition, and enjoy.

Leave it in the secondary for a couple of weeks. Patience is a virtue. That extra aging time in the fermenter will allow the flavors to develop. Bottle it and after two weeks stick it in the fridge. After 1 week in the fridge you'll have a tasty brew.

You can have fast Irish Stout or you can have good Irish Stout. If you bottle it now, it will go through the cleanup phase in the bottle and won't be good drinking for a month or more plus you risk over carbing as the yeast really isn't quite done yet. (been there) If you leave it in the secondary (or primary) longer the yeast will clean up after itself and you'll end up with a smoother drink.

Back