First Batch Of 2019

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxTheSpy

Reaction score
I started 3 batches a month apart so that I could have a constant list of things to do rather than doing a lot all at once. My blueberry and blackberry mead was ready for tasting and I'm very happy to report that it is quite good. Below is part of the post I made on my website. If you want to read the full post please click here.

Its been a little over 2 months since I started my batch of blueberry and blackberry mead, and I was a little scared that It wasn't going to turn out. After just a few weeks in primary, the fruit was looking a little worse off than I remember in previous batches. I decided to let it run its course and after a few more weeks the SG leveled out and this batch returned 20% ABV.

I wasn't expecting the ABV to be so high, and I was a little scared that the alcohol taste wouldn't age out very well. Its been a few more weeks in secondary an the color has darkened to a nice red in the bottle or a dark pink in a shallow glass. To my surprise the alcohol taste has mellowed out a TON!

This was my first batch using blueberries and blackberries so I wasn't sure what to expect, when I poured a glass I was greeted by the sweet smell of blueberries and honey with just a hint of alcohol. Upon first sip, I noticed how dry it was similar to a dry wine with a tinge of sweetness. This batch does have more of an alcohol flavor than wine though its not bad.​

Back