First batch - Accidentally added Corn Sugar to Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coinbird

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time here, this seems like a friendly and very active community. I am new to the hobby and look forward to experimenting with new things.

As the subject suggests I added 4 oz of Corn sugar that came with my kit at the start of a 30 minute boil.

The beer I am making is a "light wheat ale". Since it had minimal ingredients I thought it would be a beginner friendly brew.

I had started the brew without doing any background research (my fault) and just followed the directions. I got confused at the beginning of the boil where the recipe (i believe it is a general template for several brews) required me to add "hopping additions listed under (the) Ingredients (section)". Not knowing any better I added the sugar along with the Saaz.

I guess my question is, did I ruin it by adding 4 oz of Corn Sugar at beginning boil? And is there any recommendations to minimize any damage done?

No need to boil the corn sugar of course, but your brew should be fine.

Nope - you are good. Lots of beers call for corn sugar as part of ingredients. Makes the beer a bit drier as it is very fermentable. You will need to get some new corn sugar though for when it comes time to bottle your beer - that is what it was probably for (I assume).

Your beer will not be impacted by the sugar.

Your beer will be higher ABV than the recipe indicated. Might be 0.02% higher ABV. The beer will be drier, but will not be noticeable.
Use table sugar as a substitute for the corn sugar to carbonate the beer. Perfectly acceptable substitute.
Here is a good calculator to use. Words of advice, weighing the priming sugar is much more accurate than trying to use a volume measure.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Pat yourself on the back! You made BEER! :)

It'll just have a little more kick to it...

No your beer is not ruined. Go to your local health food store and pick up some "dextrose" (Corn Sugar) to replace the 4 oz you'll need come bottling time.

My local health food store sells corn sugar for $1.19/lb. which is much cheaper than any LHBS I've seen.

My local health food store sells corn sugar for $1.19/lb. which is much cheaper than any LHBS I've seen.

My local supermarket sells plain table sugar for 60 cents/lb. Even cheaper. There is no reason to use corn sugar.

Latest posts

Back