Filtering Adjuncts Before Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've got a saison in the fermenter that is full of orange peel, coriander, etc., and I am wondering about straining out that stuff before bottling. I typically syphon from fermenter to bottling bucket before bottling. If I try that with this batch, I foresee the syphon getting totally clogged with stuff. My first thought was to just pour it from the fermenter into the bottling bucket, using a mesh strainer to catch the chunks (sanitizing everything, of course). That's going to expose it to a lot of air; will that be a problem? Are there other issues I am not thinking about? A better way to do it?

Thanks, all!

If all the fruit stuff is floating in top, you should be able to siphon as usual, as the siphon tube will be a fair bit below surface.
If it has flocced to the bottom, also bussines as usual.
You could take some cloth and ghetto-rig a filter on the siphon.
Just pouring from the fermenter through a strainer feels like a really bad idea.

Yeah, I had the same instinct about just sloshing it from one bucket to another. I've seen narrow, cylindrical hop cages that are basically stainless steel strainers. I can slip one over the end of the syphon--should work. Hoping it won't strain out all the yeast, as I do need some carbonation in the bottles...

Back