Fg complete 3 weeks in.. Cold crash now? Or let thr yeast clean up for 1 week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtheroux

Reaction score
?
1.8 OG iipa, 3weeks in primary, pitched my dry hops yesterday... Was going to rack in five days. But it calls to cold crash it to 32 for a coulée days before Kegging...

Wait or cold crash?

You want to dryhop at room temperature. After the dryhopping is over, you could cold crash if you want to.

thanx yooper... thats what i needed to know about dry hoping

What about the yeast... it has stabilized on the FG... are the yeast done??? ive heard about "cleaning up after them selfs" and thats why you leave it in the primary for a month.

This is my first batch and i have been asking question at every stage, you guys kick ass

GT

thanx yooper... thats what i needed to know about dry hoping

What about the yeast... it has stabilized on the FG... are the yeast done??? ive heard about "cleaning up after them selfs" and thats why you leave it in the primary for a month.

This is my first batch and i have been asking question at every stage, you guys kick ass

GT

I'm not one to "leave it on the yeast cake for a month" but there is no harm from doing that. Once the beer is done, a couple of days does give the yeast time to clean up any diacetyl and other byproducts from fermentation, but it doesn't take nearly that long.

I usually ferment the beer until it's at FG, then add a few days. Usually that means 10-14 days or so. Then, add the dryhops for 7 days, and then package the beer. Most of my IPAs spend about 2.5-3 weeks in the fermenter.

I only package clear beer, so if the beer is cloudy it needs more time. But once a beer is clear and finished, it can be packaged.

Back