Fermzilla question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowDogCider

Reaction score
Hey there,
I’m sure someone has done this already. What is the easiest way to attach a “picnic” tap to the bottom of the fermzilla? I guess the real question is what do I need to make the connection from the threaded connection on the collection container to the picnic tap?
Thanks for taking the time!
Jeff

Post on collection container, attach picnic tap and you are done, but the question is why? It would be much better to use the floating dip tube. Either way you would have to hook up gas at the top to let the beer flow (yes gravity would do it with the setup you mention, but then you would have to be letting air in to equalize the pressure and that’s far from ideal).

It would be for a testing port to get a hydrometer reading. The picnic tap looks like it has a “ball” lock on it. I found a male end on amazon. When that arrives I should be good.
I NV am thinking about the pressure kit... someday down the road.
Thanks for the reply!
Jeff

I don't think you will be able to get enough out for a hydrometer reading without adding gas or having oxygen get sucked in through the airlock. Pressure kit is cheap, i def recommend it sooner rather than later. I use a picnic tap to get the hydrometer reading with my fermzilla. The other problem with doing it through the collection container is that you will have a bunch of sediment in there to mess with your reading. your picnic tap is likely coming with the ball lock disconnect, you need to have the screw on cap like this to make use of it. Carbonation and Line Cleaning Ball Lock Cap - Plastic | MoreBeer for a little bit more you can get a second cap and the floating dip tube And can then draw a clear sample from the top of your fermenter. Plastic Pressure Kit for FermZilla | MoreBeer

Back