Fermzilla Gen 3.0 doing away with the dreaded collection jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwill911

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Fermzilla 3.0 on sale, should have bought the Gen 3.2 and paid full price as now I'm spending enough to make up the difference. The Gen 3.0 has a 3" - 2" butterfly valve. Now I've decided to do away with the dreaded collection jar. But to do so I need to buy the 3" - 3" butterfly valve to use the 3" to 2" elbow. Being in the USA I can't buy directly from Kegland, and even Aliexpress won't ship to California. I did however find most of the parts at William's brewing all but the 3"-3" butterfly valve. which Morebeer sells but they don't sell the 3"- 2" reducing elbow.
From William's website
This 3" to 1.5" Tri-Clamp Elbow is perfect for attaching to the Fermzilla Gen 3 in case you want a 1.5" Tri-Clamp butterfly valve instead of a yeast collection jar.
1 x R83 Tri Clamp Butterfly Valve
2 x R72 1.5" Tri Clamp Seals
2 x R82 1.5" Tri Clamps
1 x R69 1.5" Tri Clamp Hose Barb (for ½" tubing)
1 x R34 3" to 1.5" Tri Clamp Elbow
Below is a picture off what I want to do. PITA to have to jump through hoops to buy the parts. Kegland will probably include all of this in Gen 3.3.

Attachments

• fermzilla-elbow.jpg
    fermzilla-elbow.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
To add to my previous post, I bought most of the items from William's Brewing but they didn't stock the 3" - 3" butterfly valve or the three piece 3" tri-clamp, which I had to buy from Morebeer. So with luck I'll never have to use the collection jar ever again! Yea!

What do you hate about the collection jar? What do you do instead? Asking as someone that is about to upgrade fermentation vessels with Fermzilla an option...

Well several things I hate and a few I like. I had a Fermzilla 2.0 for over a year, sometimes the collection jar is nearly impossible to get off. I used a bunch of strategies to help; 1. put skateboard grip tape on the jar so the strap wrench didn't slip, 2. use keg lube on the o-ring and the thread of the jar, 3. never tighten it other than hand tight.
Then I upgraded to the Fermzilla 3.0 (should have bought the 3.2 in retrospect). The upgrade is one-half better, but you had to crank the hell out of the thumb screw on the 2" tri-clamp or it would slip when attempting to remove the jar. I did like dry hopping via the jar however, especially with a large dry hop. Once you got it off just clean/sanitize, dump the hops in, flush with co2 pressurize and open the butterfly valve.
So now with the jar gone I need to develop a new strategy for dry hopping, but I'm up to the challenge. I just received all the pieces and plan to brew tomorrow or Monday.

Attachments

• IMG-4262.jpg
    IMG-4262.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4261.jpg
    IMG-4261.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I did similar with my FastFerment conical. It's collection jar and the plastic ball valve with the threaded connection to the conical were a PIA.

I built a stand to get it higher so I could have a sight glass vertically underneath. Didn't know AliExpress couldn't ship to California. I got the adapter to go from pipe thread to sanitary fittings, butterfly valve, sight glass and more from them for quite a savings. Just have to be very patient as stuff sometimes takes weeks to go through customs.

Nice setup you have. Glad to see some one else got rid of the stuff that doesn't quite work like it should and found their own solution.

Very nice setup you have! I'm looking for an alternative to the collection jar on my gen 3 and found your thread, exactly something similar I want but also can't order from kegland. Unfortunately neither from morebeer or william.

Are you happy with 1.5" as the final size? I will probably buy a 2" elbow and then maybe a reducer to 1.5", or I might continue with 2" but then everything becomes a bit more expansive. Can't find a combined elbow and reducer on aliexpress.

Would be nice to have a sight glass as well but due to the hight of the stand it would have to be after the bend but I'm not sure how well trub and yeast would collect in it then.

Very nice setup you have! I'm looking for an alternative to the collection jar on my gen 3 and found your thread, exactly something similar I want but also can't order from kegland. Unfortunately neither from morebeer or william.

Are you happy with 1.5" as the final size? I will probably buy a 2" elbow and then maybe a reducer to 1.5", or I might continue with 2" but then everything becomes a bit more expansive. Can't find a combined elbow and reducer on aliexpress.

Would be nice to have a sight glass as well but due to the hight of the stand it would have to be after the bend but I'm not sure how well trub and yeast would collect in it then.
Too bad you can't order from Kegland, Morebeer, and William's, kind of limits your options. So I you have the Fermzilla 3.0 you have the smaller 2" - 2" butterfly valve. I had the same thing and bit the bullet andd bought the 3" - 2" butterfly the Fermzilla 3.2 uses and the 3" - 1.5" SS reducing elbow. I haven't seen a reducing elbow from 2" - 1.5". Good luck with you search.

Is there any advantage to keeping the Fermzilla butterfly? Couldn’t you go from the tank directly to the elbow?

I want to do this!! I can’t wait to get rid of the damn collection jar like I have on my gen 2.

Wi went through all the gyrations, eliminated the butterfly valve, but trying to dump the trub out the bottom was getting a lot of beer so now I’ve upgraded to the Fermzilla (a step at a time) and today is my first brew since the change. And I bought the hop bong too.

Latest posts

Back