Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the latest Dev branch has a workflow that will try mDNS first to avoid the issue.

It does, hence why I'm a bit confused as to what could be going on :(

I just added some additional code to Fermentrack dev branch that causes it to prefer ipv4 addresses over ipv6 on networks that assign both. I have no idea if this is likely to be an issue, but it's the only other thing I can think of that might be going on here.

Hello!

Was trying to setup the push from Fermentrack to Brewfather. So far no success. Not exactly sure where to start to look for the problem. Here's what I have and what I've tried so far:

- Fermentrack is installed on a Debian VM inside Proxmox.
- From the CLI, i'm able to resolve log.brewfather.net
- I've tried using one of the online API testers to POST some info to Brewfather. That results in a successful display of the info I sent.

Hope I can get some direction on where to further search for the answer!

Thanks!

Hello!

Was trying to setup the push from Fermentrack to Brewfather. So far no success. Not exactly sure where to start to look for the problem. Here's what I have and what I've tried so far:

- Fermentrack is installed on a Debian VM inside Proxmox.
- From the CLI, i'm able to resolve log.brewfather.net
- I've tried using one of the online API testers to POST some info to Brewfather. That results in a successful display of the info I sent.

Hope I can get some direction on where to further search for the answer!

Thanks!
Are you using the dev or master branch? Is it installed directly on the VM or are you using a Docker install?

Are you using the dev or master branch? Is it installed directly on the VM or are you using a Docker install?
I'm on the dev branch but have also tried the master branch.

it's a docker install inside a debian vm. To keep it simple, i had just used the curl command in the documents.

I just booted up a Raspberry Pi with a fresh install of Raspbian. Following that, I installed using:

Code:
curl -L install.fermentrack.com | sudo bash

My push still doesnt appear on Brewfather. I'm seriously puzzled..

I just booted up a Raspberry Pi with a fresh install of Raspbian. Following that, I installed using:

Code:
curl -L install.fermentrack.com | sudo bash

My push still doesnt appear on Brewfather. I'm seriously puzzled..

How do you have it configured? Are you using the Custom Stream API, with the full URL pasted in (begins with http://log.brewfather.net/stream)?

How do you have it configured? Are you using the Custom Stream API, with the full URL pasted in (begins with http://log.brewfather.net/stream)?
Yup. I copy and paste the full custom stream url on brewfather into the "Logging URL" and select my brewpi device and click "Add Push Target".

I've also just used cURL from the RPI directly to post to the brewfather URL. It shows up almost immediately on Brewfather.

What's the best way to shutdown fermentrack and the Pi when done brewing? Do you need to login via ssh and do a shutdown? I read just unplugging the Pi is not a good idea.

Sorry to hijack, I can't figure out how to PM people...

Thorrak, can you connect a Tilt hydrometer to Fermentrack and use the Tilt thermometer as your primary thermometer rather than using a thermowell? I know that you can hook up the Tilt to graph the SG, but can't find info on using to replace the thermowell.

Hi everyone, I have been building my controller box over the last few weeks but have hit a hurdle I can't seem to overcome and it's starting to annoying me. I just want to brew some beer.

No matter how I connect my temperature sensors they fail to be recognised by the fermentrack interface. The sensors and wires are all confirmed working as I can connect them to an arduino uno then to my pc with a temperature sensor test script over serial monitor they all report back. However when connected to my esp8266 and 5v, gnd, pin D6 they never show up. Please can any one try and help me figure this one out. Many thanks

Sorry forgot to mention that. Yeah iv been using one of them. I don't understand why it works on my test arduino but not to the esp8266 with fermentrack on. Iv tried new esp8266 and reflashing them to.

On the arduino are you testing on 3.3v or on 5v. That could make a difference on some sensors.
And do not pull up to 5v on ESP, only to 3.3V.
Try the same test script from Arduino on the ESP, only change the data pin.

There is a test sketch for the ESP8266 in BrewFlasher. I recommend you use that, assuming you have an LCD connected to be able to see the test progressing. Note that the Project should be "Other." It will run through and test all of your electronics independent of the Fermentrack interface.

1623758245405.png

There is a test sketch for the ESP8266 in BrewFlasher. I recommend you use that, assuming you have an LCD connected to be able to see the test progressing. Note that the Project should be "Other." It will run through and test all of your electronics independent of the Fermentrack interface.

View attachment 732431
Ooo, never knew that was there! Think i might build something just to try it :cool:

It does. Fermentrack eats whatever the controller sends it - the controller firmware (the business end anyway) is largely the same between ESP8266 and Uno.

But if these sensors worked on an RPi using a "standard" one-wire sketch it is unlikely they are ds18b20-par sensors...
True, the Pi will not keep up with the power needs in a parasitic setup. That said there are a lot of opportunities to mess things up, and testing in situ is one of the best we've found to assure success with the BrewPi derivatives.

Many thanks for all your replies. I thought 5v on the esp was exactly that. I will try with powering the sensors from my dedicated 5v supply. Can't test on the 3v as I don't have any 2.2k resistors. Also thanks for the Brew flasher idea. Never heard of it. I have a screen connected so should work.
Thanks again I will report back when I have time To Test.

As was mentioned earlier, the ESP requires using a 3.3V pull-up as the interface cells are all powered by 3.3V and you risk popping an IO cell using a 5V pull-up resistor.

If you have two 4.7K resistors you can wire them in parallel to create a 2.35K resistance. You can still power the ds18b120 from the 5V rail, just wire the data line pull-up to 3.3V and all will be legit...

Cheers!

Thanks. Just so I'm understanding you correctly. By saying the 3.3v pull Up do you mean wire the data line to pin d6 then 2 resistors 4.7k resistors in parallel to the 3.3v source? And power the probe using 5v source. Thanks

So after your advice I uploaded the test sketch to a wemos mini. And it failed To See any devices. Having read a little More and just to rule anything out. What size resistor do you think I should use with roughly 2.5 to 3m cable to the probe from the esp? Running on 5v? Would 4.7k be incorrect?

You MUST use 3V3 and a 2K2 resistor to pull up the data line like this (5V0 power shown):

1623935794921.png

If you choose to power the device with 3V3, you may switch what's shown on pin 3 to connect to the 3V3 source.

Last edited:
Thanks for the diagram. I will try to copy it tonight. I have been connecting the gnd pin on the probe to ground on the wemos with a resistor between 5v and data. Maybe that's why it won't work.

From that diagram are the data and gnd wires connected or just passing over each other? Thanks for your help and time.

Hi guys. is there a way to sue Fermentrack without a Raaspberry Pi? Eg Install Docker on a Windows Pc?

Hello, had my new Tilt set up and working fine, and sending to brewfather. now it isn't showing up at all. I am using a rpi3 with the latest buster image I think. I went as far as to Re image the pi and reinstall fermentrack but now the tilt wasn't really added back and there is nothing being sent to brew father.

Could it just be connectivity based? The tilt is in my spike flex in a mini fridge, and the pi is on top of the fridge. My phone can get to the tilt just fine in the location.

Also tried some of the troubleshooting in this thread with no avail, and the tilt troubleshoot page says all the pieces are good. It does say python 3.8, do I need to get 3.7 instead?

So the Tilt is not showing up in Fermentrack either?

If that's the case, then yes, I would guess connectivity. The antenna on the Pi is not what you'd call "optimized." You might try moving it around to see if you can get it to read in a different place. Alternatively, using the phone app, pick a spot with the strongest signal (-57 is better than -70):

1624559144650.png

Yeah I guess the signal strength isn't the greatest. I think I'll try to get that tilt repeater.

Is there a log file somewhere that I can check to make sure there isn't some other error happening?

What's the best way to remove and re add the tilt? Could that change something? I'm assuming the pi is just looking for whatever signal comes off a blue tilt no matter what right? It doesn't get specifically paired to the tilt
Screenshot_20210624-152431_Tilt 2.jpg

The Tilt should not need to be removed and re-added. As you say it's just a "hi, I'm a Blue Tilt" and it works.

To confirm your Pi can (or cannot) see the broadcasts, you might pull out a spare SD card, and check out Tilt Pi. If you can see it with that, you know the issue is with Fermentrack. If not, it's a signal strength (or Raspberry Pi) issue.

Yup definitely signal strength, took the pi out of its enclosure, and closer to the bottom of the fridge. And the sensor came right up. I'll look into the repeater, might look into the tilt bridge project too. Thank you!

I'll look into the repeater, might look into the tilt bridge project too. Thank you!

So, I've been down this similar path. My TiltBridge resides about 1.5-3.5ft away from my two ferm chambers. Using Stainless Steel brew buckets, my signal strength from my Tilts was very poor and even the TiltBridge being in close proximity was not good enough. (I even moved my RPi with Fermentrack to be close, and still struggled with Tilt transmission strength.)

Ultimately, I built 2 Tilt Repeaters to reside in my 2 Ferm Chambers. Now TiltBridge has no issues picking up the signals from my Tilts. In fact, the signal strength from the repeaters is so strong, my RPi running Fermentrack can pick-up the Bluetooth signal though it's 3 rooms away. (Theoretically eliminating the need of a TiltBridge)

Back