Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody else have trouble convincing the "Configure Sensors/Pins" page that they'd actually like their SSRs to be "not inverted"?

I've spent the last while reflashing and reconfiguring, but it hasn't helped. Everytime I reconfigure my relays to "not inverted", they come up as inverted. And sure enough, my controller is trying to run both the heater and the fridge at the same time with temperature control set to off.

@Thorrak I'm kind of at a standstill with my problem. The beers done so I've started troubleshooting I've tried flashing a different S2 mini and it behaves the same. I believe the firmware I was on that worked before I updated was probably that version 11 that's the oldest one showing on your github. As I remember it didn't say it as specifically for the S2 when in fermentrack. But it did work for me. Is there a way with brewflasher to flash the old versions?

Just to be clear - what exact issue are you experiencing currently, when you say "behaves the same"? The physical screen of the controller freezes and cooling relay is locked either on or off? If so, then yeah - that could be a firmware issue.

You can't use non-S2 firmware on S2 devices, so unfortunately there's not a lot of options to try. I was able to just recompile a new version using the latest Arduino framework -- it may be worth giving it a shot if you have a few minutes. The version is BrewPi-ESP32-S2 (Experimental) v15c-beta1 in BrewFlasher. (Be careful to select v15c-beta1 and not the old v15-beta6).

I will warn that I have done exactly 0 testing of this. There is a bug in one of the more recent versions of the Arduino framework that makes writes to the LCD screen EXTREMELY slow -- I would be curious to know if the screen updates at a reasonable rate for you if you test this

Does anybody else have trouble convincing the "Configure Sensors/Pins" page that they'd actually like their SSRs to be "not inverted"?

I've spent the last while reflashing and reconfiguring, but it hasn't helped. Everytime I reconfigure my relays to "not inverted", they come up as inverted. And sure enough, my controller is trying to run both the heater and the fridge at the same time with temperature control set to off.

What chipset are you using? Do you mean in Fermentrack or - if you're using an ESP8266/ESP32/etc. (not an Arduino) - on the device's configuration page?

If you're using an ESP8266/ESP32/etc. and it's an issue in Fermentrack, can you try accessing the device's configuration portal directly and seeing if that works?

Just to be clear - what exact issue are you experiencing currently, when you say "behaves the same"? The physical screen of the controller freezes and cooling relay is locked either on or off? If so, then yeah - that could be a firmware issue.

You can't use non-S2 firmware on S2 devices, so unfortunately there's not a lot of options to try. I was able to just recompile a new version using the latest Arduino framework -- it may be worth giving it a shot if you have a few minutes. The version is BrewPi-ESP32-S2 (Experimental) v15c-beta1 in BrewFlasher. (Be careful to select v15c-beta1 and not the old v15-beta6).

I will warn that I have done exactly 0 testing of this. There is a bug in one of the more recent versions of the Arduino framework that makes writes to the LCD screen EXTREMELY slow -- I would be curious to know if the screen updates at a reasonable rate for you if you test this

What chipset are you using? Do you mean in Fermentrack or - if you're using an ESP8266/ESP32/etc. (not an Arduino) - on the device's configuration page?

If you're using an ESP8266/ESP32/etc. and it's an issue in Fermentrack, can you try accessing the device's configuration portal directly and seeing if that works?
Yeah the screen freezes the countdown or count up timer wherever it happens to be when it freezes doesn’t change. And all relays go off. I’ve had it freeze saying cooling but the relay is no longer on. And the controller is unresponsive from feementrack when it freezes. I’ll go load up your beta now and keep you posted. I tried compiling some from the raw source code in platform.io but I’m not familiar enough lol I’ve only ever coded in arduino ide.

Yeah the screen freezes the countdown or count up timer wherever it happens to be when it freezes doesn’t change. And all relays go off. I’ve had it freeze saying cooling but the relay is no longer on. And the controller is unresponsive from feementrack when it freezes. I’ll go load up your beta now and keep you posted. I tried compiling some from the raw source code in platform.io but I’m not familiar enough lol I’ve only ever coded in arduino ide.

Definitely an issue with the firmware then. There was a problem at one point with the Arduino v2.0.7 firmware which required me to lock the S2 firmware to v2.0.6, but it seems like the latest firmware - v2.0.11 - works fine.

The problem with this specific issue is that since it only shows up on the S2 chip the issue has to be somewhere in Espressif's framework. On my side, the code is virtually identical (other than the USB serial interface) when compared vs. the ESP32 code. Since the latest arduino framework also incorporates the latest (v4 branch) version of ESP-iDF, I'm hoping that between the two one of the upgrades will have solved the issue.

Thanks for the reply and sorry, I could've been more clear. I have an ESP8266 controlling my fridge and communicating to fresh install of Fermentrack on a Pi4 (that also runs pihole). Aside from configuring the ESP8266's wifi, I've been interacting with everything via Fermentrack's interface. I've been trying to set things up from Fermentrack's "Configure Sensors/Pins/Devices" page. When I go to assign either relay, I select "Not Inverted" from the "Invert Pin" dropdown. But then they wind up assigned "Inverted" for some reason.

I'm leaning toward it being a Fermentrack issue, but there's probably more debugging to be done. By "accessing the device's configuration portal directly" do you mean working directly with the ESP, not through the Fermentrack portal? I wouldn't know how to approach that.

Definitely an issue with the firmware then. There was a problem at one point with the Arduino v2.0.7 firmware which required me to lock the S2 firmware to v2.0.6, but it seems like the latest firmware - v2.0.11 - works fine.

The problem with this specific issue is that since it only shows up on the S2 chip the issue has to be somewhere in Espressif's framework. On my side, the code is virtually identical (other than the USB serial interface) when compared vs. the ESP32 code. Since the latest arduino framework also incorporates the latest (v4 branch) version of ESP-iDF, I'm hoping that between the two one of the upgrades will have solved the issue.
Yeah that makes sense it definitely would make you want to pull your hair out when the other platforms are working great and everything should be the same. The S2 mini is an awesome chip I use in alot of other projects and I designed my pcb around it so hopefully this is the fix. So far so good on the beta fingers crossed.

I'm leaning toward it being a Fermentrack issue, but there's probably more debugging to be done. By "accessing the device's configuration portal directly" do you mean working directly with the ESP, not through the Fermentrack portal? I wouldn't know how to approach that.

Yeah - agreed - this sounds most likely to be a Fermentrack issue.

To access the device’s portal (assuming you’re running the latest, “v15” firmware) just go to the web address that displays on the screen at startup and you should get a site that has its own implementation of the sensors/devices config page.

Just an update running the beta. I came out this morning to a frozen screen this time screen was frozen saying idling but the fridge compressor was running based on the frost on the coils I imagine it had been running a while. The mode I set was controlling a container of water in beer constant mode set to 68. It seemed overly cold inside. I power cycled the controller and when it booted it back up it had taken the water temp all the way down to 52. So it’s still acting up seems like it will freeze up and do who knows what lol let me know if you want me to test anything else. If we think the root of the problem is the I2c lcd screen should I try and unplug the screen to see if there’s any different result?

Last edited:
Yeah - agreed - this sounds most likely to be a Fermentrack issue.

To access the device’s portal (assuming you’re running the latest, “v15” firmware) just go to the web address that displays on the screen at startup and you should get a site that has its own implementation of the sensors/devices config page.
Oh right, use the ESP's IP address. I can do that.

I unassigned the relays from Fermentrack's side, reassigned from the ESP's side, and then restarted the ESP via the button in Fermentrack. Great success! Thanks!

Just noticed something about the Cannot receive LCD text from Controller/Script issue.

I have 2 devices, both are mini fridges that I converted to kegerator/fermentation fridges. Had 2 fermentations going so both were logging and temperature was in beer mode. This caused the error every couple hours but the VM reboot fixed everything.

One of the fermentations finished so I stopped logging, put the beer in a keg and changed to fridge temperature instead of beer temperature. This device appears to be fine now. While the other actively fermenting fridge is still showing the error.

Seems the only differences are the logging and temperature mode. Not sure if this helps but thought worth mentioning.

Just an update running the beta. I came out this morning to a frozen screen this time screen was frozen saying idling but the fridge compressor was running based on the frost on the coils I imagine it had been running a while. The mode I set was controlling a container of water in beer constant mode set to 68. It seemed overly cold inside. I power cycled the controller and when it booted it back up it had taken the water temp all the way down to 52. So it’s still acting up seems like it will freeze up and do who knows what lol let me know if you want me to test anything else. If we think the root of the problem is the I2c lcd screen should I try and unplug the screen to see if there’s any different result?

I don't think the root of the problem is the LCD screen itself, though one of the libraries might be contributing given the bug with the earlier ESP-IDF version. I can try to compile a version that doesn't enable the screen if you'd like to see if that helps. We're out doing things today, but I should be able to get it done either tonight or tomorrow -- I'll let you know.

Separately, I ordered myself one of Espressif's ESP32-S2 dev boards that comes with a built in debugger. Assuming I can figure out how to use the thing and can replicate the issue on my side, that might help to find out exactly what is going on. That, or it turns out to be a waste of $50. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Oh right, use the ESP's IP address. I can do that.

I unassigned the relays from Fermentrack's side, reassigned from the ESP's side, and then restarted the ESP via the button in Fermentrack. Great success! Thanks!

Awesome - glad to hear it! That sounds like an issue in Fermentrack then. I've opened an issue here to track against -- as a workaround, though, it's good to know that the controller's UI works as expected!

I don't think the root of the problem is the LCD screen itself, though one of the libraries might be contributing given the bug with the earlier ESP-IDF version. I can try to compile a version that doesn't enable the screen if you'd like to see if that helps. We're out doing things today, but I should be able to get it done either tonight or tomorrow -- I'll let you know.

Separately, I ordered myself one of Espressif's ESP32-S2 dev boards that comes with a built in debugger. Assuming I can figure out how to use the thing and can replicate the issue on my side, that might help to find out exactly what is going on. That, or it turns out to be a waste of $50. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Awesome - glad to hear it! That sounds like an issue in Fermentrack then. I've opened an issue here to track against -- as a workaround, though, it's good to know that the controller's UI works as expected!
Yeah I’m willing to help test whatever we need to help track down the bug. My equipment is pretty bomb proof I run some wine fridges converted over so if a relay sticks it’s not powerful enough to freeze and it’s just a seedling heat mat for heat so also not powerful enough for concern if it sticks on heat either so I really can’t damage it as long as I’m not testing on a beer lol. If worse comes to worse I can always sub out a d1 mini for the s2 to run a beer I guess that’s one benefit of my pcb using that chip form factor is I have backup options to swap if that version is stable. As far as that s2 with debugger goes that sounds fancy. Is there anywhere I can donate to the cause I’d definitely like to help pitch in to help you procure that tool?!

I just pushed an update out to Fermentrack that fixes the bug with the "invert" flag as noted by @TheEricThe and also fixes an issue with data logging as noticed by @RocketBrewer . As always, please let me know if you have any issues with the update.

Yeah I’m willing to help test whatever we need to help track down the bug. My equipment is pretty bomb proof I run some wine fridges converted over so if a relay sticks it’s not powerful enough to freeze and it’s just a seedling heat mat for heat so also not powerful enough for concern if it sticks on heat either so I really can’t damage it as long as I’m not testing on a beer lol. If worse comes to worse I can always sub out a d1 mini for the s2 to run a beer I guess that’s one benefit of my pcb using that chip form factor is I have backup options to swap if that version is stable.

The frustrating thing about the S2 is that the device format made it seem like it would be a perfect drop-in replacement for people with ESP8266 hardware in order to help consolidate the number of boards that I have to support -- especially given some of the issues with recent ESP8266 framework releases. While you'd probably be fine switching to an ESP8266, I'm not planning on building new support for it in the future, so I wouldn't recommend it except as a last resort.

As far as that s2 with debugger goes that sounds fancy. Is there anywhere I can donate to the cause I’d definitely like to help pitch in to help you procure that tool?!

I appreciate it, but it's all good. ;)

The issue isn't the cost, it's that I'm not certain I'll actually get any benefit from it. My past attempts at getting a hardware debugger working haven't played out as I would have hoped, but admittedly I didn't spent much time on it. Of course, even if I get the hardware debugger set up here I'm still running the risk of not being able to do much with it if I can't replicate the bug you're having. Unfortunately, it's a lot of question marks!

This thing is a beast.

IMG_5824.jpeg

Also, supposedly it doesn’t work with platformio. 🙃

Time to see if that’s just someone being lazy with documentation, or if they actually mean it!

It does look rather beastly.
But what am I looking at? 🧐
That is the ESP32-S2-KALUGA-1, which is their dev kit with onboard OpenOCD-compatible debugging hardware. It took a bit of tinkering, but as it turns out platformio's docs are wrong, and it is in fact compatible. Good news!

Unfortunately, after getting everything built, it turns out WiFi isn't working. Bad news!

But, uh... the reason wifi wasn't working is because I compiled the serial version of the firmware. Which, uh... I apparently also did when trying the "new ESP-IDF" fix above, so the firmware I posted for @bscuderi to try was in fact the same exact firmware that had been posted before. So, yeah. With any luck I didn't need to buy this thing after all.

ANYWAYS.

Hey @bscuderi - If you have a sec, do you mind trying out v15c-beta1 again? In the mean time, I've got it running on my desktop to see if I can get it to freeze.

Edit: Nope. Latest Arduino version still has the IIC bug. Time to dive into the rabbit hole.

Last edited:
That is the ESP32-S2-KALUGA-1, which is their dev kit with onboard OpenOCD-compatible debugging hardware. It took a bit of tinkering, but as it turns out platformio's docs are wrong, and it is in fact compatible. Good news!

Unfortunately, after getting everything built, it turns out WiFi isn't working. Bad news!

But, uh... the reason wifi wasn't working is because I compiled the serial version of the firmware. Which, uh... I apparently also did when trying the "new ESP-IDF" fix above, so the firmware I posted for @bscuderi to try was in fact the same exact firmware that had been posted before. So, yeah. With any luck I didn't need to buy this thing after all.

ANYWAYS.

Hey @bscuderi - If you have a sec, do you mind trying out v15c-beta1 again? In the mean time, I've got it running on my desktop to see if I can get it to freeze.

Edit: Nope. Latest Arduino version still has the IIC bug. Time to dive into the rabbit hole.
Godspeed in that rabbit hole! 🫡

Godspeed in that rabbit hole! 🫡

So I've figured out the I2C issue, at least. As it turns out, there's a bug in the I2C implementation on the ESP32-S2 which causes the bus speed to unexpectedly change when you try to access 10 nonexistant devices. Unfortunately, the way that I track down the address for an LCD screen is by trying every potential address on the bus to see what devices respond -- which happens to be way more than 10 addresses. Oops.

The nice thing is that there is a workaround for this once the scan is complete, and the scan only has to be performed once at boot. That said, I've now released what should actually be working firmware as v15c-beta1. @bscuderi , if you can give this a try, I'd appreciate it!

It’s $50.00 just to pay for all the copper traces in that thing it’s huge lol 😂
Amen to that! It includes the screen, some kind of sensor board, audio breakouts, a speaker, and what I think is a camera, as well. Clearly, I'm not thinking big enough here -- your BrewPi can rick-roll you when your beer is done!

So I've figured out the I2C issue, at least. As it turns out, there's a bug in the I2C implementation on the ESP32-S2 which causes the bus speed to unexpectedly change when you try to access 10 nonexistant devices. Unfortunately, the way that I track down the address for an LCD screen is by trying every potential address on the bus to see what devices respond -- which happens to be way more than 10 addresses. Oops.

The nice thing is that there is a workaround for this once the scan is complete, and the scan only has to be performed once at boot. That said, I've now released what should actually be working firmware as v15c-beta1. @bscuderi , if you can give this a try, I'd appreciate it!

Amen to that! It includes the screen, some kind of sensor board, audio breakouts, a speaker, and what I think is a camera, as well. Clearly, I'm not thinking big enough here -- your BrewPi can rick-roll you when your beer is done!
Alright I get home from a work trip tomorrow I’ll load it up and give it a try and keep you posted. Great detective work!

Question for anyone reading this, since @LBussy and I were discussing it earlier: How big is your Fermentrack log directory?

Alternatively: If you back up your Fermentrack data (always a good idea!) how big is your backup file?

Question for anyone reading this, since @LBussy and I were discussing it earlier: How big is your Fermentrack log directory?

Alternatively: If you back up your Fermentrack data (always a good idea!) how big is your backup file?
Installed v15c-beta1 and am currently testing fingers crossed. As far as the fermentrack log directory size how would I find that and I will happily take a look? Otherwise I just ran a a backup and the file size was 522kb.

This reminded me to make a backup.

Unfortunately just getting 502 Bad Gateway when I try.

On latest update. Tried logging in/out, different browser and ./install.sh. No luck.

Just did a quick backup, it's about 2 MB archive. I'm at work so can't see how large the log directory is.

Also, running it in my proxmox setup has been great.

So I didn’t think that through entirely — the backups are compressed. :) if you unzip it (save a copy of the zipped file, though!) how big I the tar file (or the folder if it automatically untars?)

@pers - I see that error in Sentry, but unfortunately it’s a particularly unhelpful one. I’ll shoot you a PM with some troubleshooting steps, but because I was curious I smashed Sentry’s new “fix it with AI” button. The suggestions it provided are useless, but here’s a fun little song it wrote about your error:

🎶 "When exiting the system, be gentle and kind. Don't abruptly shut down, leave no trace behind." 🎶

Yeaaaaah. Definite chart topper there.

So I didn’t think that through entirely — the backups are compressed. :) if you unzip it (save a copy of the zipped file, though!) how big I the tar file (or the folder if it automatically untars?)

@pers - I see that error in Sentry, but unfortunately it’s a particularly unhelpful one. I’ll shoot you a PM with some troubleshooting steps, but because I was curious I smashed Sentry’s new “fix it with AI” button. The suggestions it provided are useless, but here’s a fun little song it wrote about your error:

🎶 "When exiting the system, be gentle and kind. Don't abruptly shut down, leave no trace behind." 🎶

Yeaaaaah. Definite chart topper there.
Mine saved as something.tar.xz seems kinda strange to have two file extensions. It wants to open with raspberry pi imager as the default program so I’m not sure how big it is unzipped. As far as the beta s2 firmware it ran through the night so all looks good. No freezing no weird screen issues. I think you fixed it.

Untarred it's about 70 mb, the json file is about 6.5kb.

Also, if anyone ever has weird things to uncompress in Windows 7-Zip works on pretty much everything. One of the first things I always install.

No worries at all @Southyeaster - the extra reports are helpful, as - despite the other reports! - I haven't been able to replicate the issue on my side and therefore assumed the issue was limited to a single user/server. I'm tracking the issue on GitHub here, and have the following workaround which you can use in the mean time while I figure out a solution:

1. Log into your Pi/server with SSH and change to the fermentrack-tools directory
  2. Make sure you are running the latest version of both Fermentrack and fermentrack-tools (run the install.sh script if you haven't run it in the past ~week or so)
  3. Run the command docker compose run --rm django python manage.py generate_backup
  4. Wait for the command to finish. Once it finishes, you should be able to see the backup it generated within Fermentrack's web UI

My guess is that the issue here is that as currently designed the process to generate the backup runs synchronously with the web request to generate the backup, and either starts to take too long or use too much memory frightening the web daemon and causing it to kill the process. Generating the backup manually works just fine (even older Pis should have plenty of memory available) but trying to do it from the website creates issues.

Kind of an oddball question (Maybe) I'd like to know if there is a way to change the "Beer" and "Fridge" labeling on the dashboard (And the external LCD) to something else in some way? I have my fermentation fridge set up in my garage running fermentrack smoothly with no issues. Next to that fridge is another fridge that is NOT being used for beer but I would like to monitor temps of something else inside of it. I already have another functioning controller built for said purpose but to me it looks a bit silly seeing "Beer" flash by on the LCD when that fridge's purpose is not for beer. Curious if maybe it can be accessed through terminal and configured in some way...? Thanks in advance!

Kind of an oddball question (Maybe) I'd like to know if there is a way to change the "Beer" and "Fridge" labeling on the dashboard (And the external LCD) to something else in some way? I have my fermentation fridge set up in my garage running fermentrack smoothly with no issues. Next to that fridge is another fridge that is NOT being used for beer but I would like to monitor temps of something else inside of it. I already have another functioning controller built for said purpose but to me it looks a bit silly seeing "Beer" flash by on the LCD when that fridge's purpose is not for beer. Curious if maybe it can be accessed through terminal and configured in some way...? Thanks in advance!

Not currently, but that doesn't mean it isn't something that could potentially be added (though more likely to the dashboard than to the LCD). What would you want to relabel them to?

In this particular application I wanted to change “Beer temp” to “Air temp”.
I’m using this second fridge as a makeshift air cooler for my 60 gallon air compressor in my garage. Long story short, I’m using an immersion cooler in a bucket of water that’s plumbed inbetween my compressor pump and the tank itself to cool down the air before it enters the tank. That immersion cooler/bucket lives inside the fridge. I’m using two DS18B20’s, one for fridge temp and one taped to the outlet of the immersion cooler to monitor air temp. The “control box” is really nothing more than a digital monitor. It is not controlling the fridge based on air temp, I just had the parts laying around so I decided to put them to use. But that’s my reason for wanting to know if labeling can be changed

Alright install instructions for running Fermentrack in a LXC for Proxmox.

I backed up from my old install and uploaded and it looks to be working great.

Edit: The only thing that looks like it wasn't backed up were my Brewfather Push Targets, but everything else looks good.

I hope you don't mind -- I've ended up using these instructions a couple of times myself, so I went ahead and documented it in a blog post. Thanks again for pulling this together -- I'm definitely a fan of LXC over VMs where they work!

I hope you don't mind -- I've ended up using these instructions a couple of times myself, so I went ahead and documented it in a blog post. Thanks again for pulling this together -- I'm definitely a fan of LXC over VMs where they work!
Not a problem. It's been great running it on a LXC, I want to say it feels faster than my previous install.

I'm experiencing an intermittent "Internal Server Error" problem with Fermentrack. I'm traveling and trying to monitor my fermentation remotely. It was working fine for several days after I left, but for the past several days it works about one time in 10-15 tries. The rest of the time I get one of two types of errors. The first is just a page with the words "Internal Server Error". The other type is an incompletely rendered web page. These have lots of variations, but one example is below. Note that I am only tracking (via Tilt2 and Tiltbridge), not controlling with Fermentrack. It doesn't seem to matter what platform I use, iPhone, iPad, or MacOS, although they are all versions of Safari.

I don't have a port open to access the raspberry pi directly, so for now any debugging would need to be via port 80.

Fermentrack-error.jpg

I'm experiencing an intermittent "Internal Server Error" problem with Fermentrack. I'm traveling and trying to monitor my fermentation remotely. It was working fine for several days after I left, but for the past several days it works about one time in 10-15 tries. The rest of the time I get one of two types of errors. The first is just a page with the words "Internal Server Error". The other type is an incompletely rendered web page. These have lots of variations, but one example is below. Note that I am only tracking (via Tilt2 and Tiltbridge), not controlling with Fermentrack. It doesn't seem to matter what platform I use, iPhone, iPad, or MacOS, although they are all versions of Safari.

I don't have a port open to access the raspberry pi directly, so for now any debugging would need to be via port 80.

View attachment 830071
Oh wow - that’s… interesting looking!

Behind the scenes, you have a webserver (Nginx) that both processes requests for the web app (Fermentrack) and serves static files upon request. Looking at that screenshot I would guess that Nginx is having issues of some sort and is failing to serve the static files as a result (the "{{ sensor.device_name }}" in particular means that Vue.js isn't loaded).

Unfortunately, I don't know that there is much that can be done remotely to resolve this or explore further. Nginx is the likely culprit, so we'd need to check its logs (or the resource usage on the Pi) but neither of those are exposed by default.

Latest posts

Back