Replacement firmware for iSpindel (GravityMon)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep seeing "iSpindel configuration file has been detected, do you want to copy formula and gyro calibration ?" after updating my firmware. I've pressed the migrate button many times and I get a failed error. It works fine, I just keep getting this message and want to clear it. How do I do that?

I keep seeing "iSpindel configuration file has been detected, do you want to copy formula and gyro calibration ?" after updating my firmware. I've pressed the migrate button many times and I get a failed error. It works fine, I just keep getting this message and want to clear it. How do I do that?
It looks like a bug, as long as the file is there it will unfortunately remind you. What you could do is make a backup of the configuration and flash the device (with full erase) and then setup wifi and restore the configuration. That would get rid of the issue.

To help me trouble-shoot this can you try it once more and see what is printed in the javascript console. Its typically under developer tools in the menu. If there is an error that could help me pinpoint the issue.

I'm still planning to release the 1.4 version soon but I'm not done with the new BLE formats yet (and the PR for tiltbridge) I might need to postpone those features for the next release.

When digging into tiltbridge and talking to Thorrak I really got inspired to look into redesigning the UI for gravitymon. It's based on technology that is not really supported and developed so eventually I will need to do something about that. So I have been working on a prototype with a modern development frameworks that really make the UI much easier to maintain and more flexible. So here is a sneak peak of one of the configuration settings in the new UI that will be part of gravitymon 2.0. I hope to make it easier and more intuitive to the users and still allow for easy access to all features. I'm also getting rid of the Wifimanager so when connecting to the device Access Point you have access to the same features as when its connected to your network. I have also got rid of the need for internet access (except for the graph library which is too big to fit on the device).

So you have any ideas or things that you can be changed for a better experience, please let me know. It's still early in development I would like to make this UI as good as I can.

This is the new device hardware settings page (in dark mode)
1706643045723.png

Http post configuration page. All the settings related to this feature is on the same page
1706643309409.png

And it adapts to the device format used:
1706643394957.png

I have some esp32 c3 supermini boards which I would like to use with your software, I see from the device pinouts that they are not the same, which pins are used and what are the functions? I can then see if I can adapt the board to work.

this is not in the gravitymon code so it does not help. what is the message in the console?
I guess I don't understand what console you are talking about. But, I'm not able to go back and see it now anyway as I ended up backing up and reflashing like you said. However, to help track this bug down, I'm willing to flash ispindel back on one of my units and go back to gravitymon to see if I can reproduce it. Just let me know.

I guess I don't understand what console you are talking about. But, I'm not able to go back and see it now anyway as I ended up backing up and reflashing like you said. However, to help track this bug down, I'm willing to flash ispindel back on one of my units and go back to gravitymon to see if I can reproduce it. Just let me know.
No worries, I think i know what went wrong. Will be fixed in future release.

I have another question for you, in the circuit diagram for the esp32 you show the same D0 to rst connection via schottky diode as for the esp8266, from the esp32 specs this should not be necessary as the esp32 wakes up via rtc timer directly unlike the esp8266, the esp32 c3 works similarly. is this connection necessary? the esp32 c3 supermini does not have a pin connection to the reset so it wouldn't work anyway without some onboard wiring. can I just ignore this connection and will the sleep wake-up code work correctly?

I have another question for you, in the circuit diagram for the esp32 you show the same D0 to rst connection via schottky diode as for the esp8266, from the esp32 specs this should not be necessary as the esp32 wakes up via rtc timer directly unlike the esp8266, the esp32 c3 works similarly. is this connection necessary? the esp32 c3 supermini does not have a pin connection to the reset so it wouldn't work anyway without some onboard wiring. can I just ignore this connection and will the sleep wake-up code work correctly?
You are correct, the diode is not needed for esp32. I've included it since most pcb have that layout already. You need to add the resistor for the battery measurement since the esp32 does not have the internal resistor as the esp8266

@mper
You asked a few posts ago re features.
I regularly find my ispindel will not be reading the real OG. Drift of calibration.
I put the measured from refractometer or hydrometer in to brewspy.
The FG is rarely accurate either so I correct that as well.
Is it possible to have gravity mon use the angles it measures and the true measured figures OG and FG plus an interim measure to generate a new polynomial?

@mper
You asked a few posts ago re features.
I regularly find my ispindel will not be reading the real OG. Drift of calibration.
I put the measured from refractometer or hydrometer in to brewspy.
The FG is rarely accurate either so I correct that as well.
Is it possible to have gravity mon use the angles it measures and the true measured figures OG and FG plus an interim measure to generate a new polynomial?
You can add the angles and gravity into the formula creator and generate a new polynominal. You can also use the graph feature to visually check how the formula compares to the entered values. This must be done in config mode

Hello everyone.
I'm trying GravityMon again, with the hardware of a floaty, but I can't get into the configuration mode (crossing pins 13 and 15) after flashing it and configuring the Wi-Fi.
In principle, I rule out hardware problems since I tested two floaty that are working as the floaty firmware and another one that was newly assembled from scratch.
Has something changed in firmware 1.3 and 1.4 and is it being done incorrectly?
Thank you and greetings.

Hello everyone.
I'm trying GravityMon again, with the hardware of a floaty, but I can't get into the configuration mode (crossing pins 13 and 15) after flashing it and configuring the Wi-Fi.
In principle, I rule out hardware problems since I tested two floaty that are working as the floaty firmware and another one that was newly assembled from scratch.
Thank you and greetings.
I attach the log, if it is helpful, if I press the reset button twice I can return to the gravity mon AP mode and configure the Wi-Fi parameters.

Attachments

• log_gravity.jpg
    log_gravity.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
Hello everyone.
Thank you and greetings.
I must admit that the floaty build for 1.4 has not really been tested, so its likely that some change has broken the build. I don't have a floaty built to test with. I have the board somewere so I will test this out.

I updated my floaty to 1.4 today but I’ve noticed when I place it on its cap it thinks it’s at around 60 degrees. If I tilt it it seems to never reach 0 degrees. My floaty uses a v2 design sled where the gyro is perpendicular to the battery but still located to the top of the tube with the battery at the bottom. Is the orientation on a different axis likely to cause this? I did calibrate it flat and at reads 90 degrees in this position.

Hello everyone.
Thank you and greetings.
Crossing the pins still force the device into configuration mode on 1.4. Expect for bluetooth transmission there is no changes to gravity mode in the 1.4 version

I updated my floaty to 1.4 today but I’ve noticed when I place it on its cap it thinks it’s at around 60 degrees. If I tilt it it seems to never reach 0 degrees. My floaty uses a v2 design sled where the gyro is perpendicular to the battery but still located to the top of the tube with the battery at the bottom. Is the orientation on a different axis likely to cause this? I did calibrate it flat and at reads 90 degrees in this position.
The orientation of the gyro can definitely have an impact on the reading. It needs to be aligned with the main board for the angle to be interpreted correctly since not all axies are used when calculating the tilt/angle.

The orientation of the gyro can definitely have an impact on the reading. It needs to be aligned with the main board for the angle to be interpreted correctly since not all axies are used when calculating the tilt/angle.
Thanks, that’s most likely what I’m seeing then. Mine is orientated like this

The axis should be the same as the ispindel but i noticed that the gyro is rotated 180 degrees but that should not really matter. Let me do some more tests on this matter.

The axis should be the same as the ispindel but i noticed that the gyro is rotated 180 degrees but that should not really matter. Let me do some more tests on this matter.
Thanks, I just flashed a new version reading the angle using the other axis but it resulted in similar behaviour. When I move from flat 90 degrees to standing on its cap it shows 60 degrees. Feels like it might be a sensitivity setting or something.

Thanks, I just flashed a new version reading the angle using the other axis but it resulted in similar behaviour. When I move from flat 90 degrees to standing on its cap it shows 60 degrees. Feels like it might be a sensitivity setting or something.
I just tested my mockup and I could get values from 90 to 0 when tilting the board in using the gyro in the same position as the video, its the same result when running it on an ispindel hardware.

I just tested my mockup and I could get values from 90 to 0 when tilting the board in using the gyro in the same position as the video, its the same result when running it on an ispindel hardware.
Hmmm, maybe I’ve a faulty gyro then or something.

I just soldered up a 2nd one to check for a hardware issue and it’s exactly the same as the first one. The gyro is a
GY-521 MPU-6050.
Actually never mind, if I calibrate it with the gyro facing flat it does work. My calibration was with the board perpendicular as it lays by default. Sorry for the waste of time and thanks for the help and awesome project.

I’m also going to add the battery monitor while I have the soldering station setup. Does the 470k resistor connect to gnd on the esp32 or directly to the negative on the battery?

In the video the inclination of the floaty is good, I have been using that for years. Have you been able to enter the configuration as gravitymon with pins 13 and 15?

In the video the inclination of the floaty is good, I have been using that for years. Have you been able to enter the configuration as gravitymon with pins 13 and 15?
I just lay mine flat on the table and it enters configuration mode. Sometimes I might have to push the reset button first.

I just lay mine flat on the table and it enters configuration mode. Sometimes I might have to push the reset button first.
If the gyro calibration is off it will not go into config mode since the angle might not be close to 90

Would not matter since they should be connected
Battery monitoring circuit working for me, it would be a slightly simpler build for the floaty of pin 32 was used for the battery monitor as 35 is hidden by the sled and I hat to cut it slightly.

Regarding the angle of tilt, in water does it need to be 25 degrees like the ispindel or can I just calibrate it with whatever angle is there already?

Battery monitoring circuit working for me, it would be a slightly simpler build for the floaty of pin 32 was used for the battery monitor as 35 is hidden by the sled and I hat to cut it slightly.

Regarding the angle of tilt, in water does it need to be 25 degrees like the ispindel or can I just calibrate it with whatever angle is there already?
I can make that pin configuable so its backwards compatible. Will add it in the next release

if its not that far off 20-30 degrees you should be fine

I must admit that the floaty build for 1.4 has not really been tested, so its likely that some change has broken the build. I don't have a floaty built to test with. I have the board somewere so I will test this out.
Hi! have you been able to review it? thx

Since I dont have a full version of the floaty I can only test that much. But from the log output it detects the pins and force the device into gravity mode both in 1.3 and 1.4 so it should work
Yes, I think it tries but it doesn't like something about how it initializes the gyroscope and it doesn't enter due to the error "GYRO: No valid calibration values, please calibrate the device".
From that point:
If I flash the floaty firmware, it works then the gyroscope is fine.
- If I remove the gyroscope it goes into the menu, although logically it doesn't work.

Is there any way I can try versions prior to 1.3 to flash and if I can get in, calibrate the sensor and then update to 1.3 or 1.4?
thx

Yes, I think it tries but it doesn't like something about how it initializes the gyroscope and it doesn't enter due to the error "GYRO: No valid calibration values, please calibrate the device".
From that point:
If I flash the floaty firmware, it works then the gyroscope is fine.
- If I remove the gyroscope it goes into the menu, although logically it doesn't work.

Is there any way I can try versions prior to 1.3 to flash and if I can get in, calibrate the sensor and then update to 1.3 or 1.4?
thx
If the device is not calibrated it should go into configuration mode automatically so can you check the serial output and see what the log states? If this is a gyro issue it will report that as an error. What pins are your gyro connected to ?

Back