Fermentation ptoblem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBelanger

Reaction score
I'm just getting into home brewing this year. I've made 4 kits and 5 all grain batches without any problems. I just brewed and English Pale ale 7 days ago and used Danstar Nottingham Dry yeast. It took about 48 hours before I saw any activity in the primary (glass carboy) and then I had lots of air lock activity and krausen. 68-70F. The problem is that it smells horrible, like sufur or "rhino farts" lol, and I just took a gravity reading today and it read almost the same as before I pitched the yeast. What am I missing here? Is the yeast bad or possible infection? Any suggestions?

Nottingham lag = under pitch. Use Mr malty figures and rehydrate and it'll work just fine.

As for your smell problem, that's odd, was the packet stored at reasonable temp?

Being new to brewing, I didn't know that you can keep yeast in the fridge so the packet was stored in the room where I ferment which I keep around 68F. If the batch was under pitched, can the yeast get stressed and produce these putrid odours?

Latest posts

Back