Ferment Temp first 24 hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roryida1

Reaction score
I have just started a basic chocolate porter mix which came with a standard yeast which requires temps 18c-30c. My starting temperature for the brew was 22c when the yeast was added.

Its 20 hours into the brew so far and the temperature has dropped to 17-18c. the airlock is bubbling and everything seems ok.

I wanted to use a heating pad to bring the temperature back up to mid range but have read that i shouldnt use a heating pad in the first 24-48 hrs. If the temp falls below required in the first 2 days of fermenting will that effect my initial flavor. should i use a heating pad and will that effect things negatively in the first 24-48hrs ?

its winter here atm so a heating element will need to eventually be introduced.

I have just started a basic chocolate porter mix which came with a standard yeast which requires temps 18c-30c. My starting temperature for the brew was 22c when the yeast was added.

Its 20 hours into the brew so far and the temperature has dropped to 17-18c. the airlock is bubbling and everything seems ok.

I wanted to use a heating pad to bring the temperature back up to mid range but have read that i shouldnt use a heating pad in the first 24-48 hrs. If the temp falls below required in the first 2 days of fermenting will that effect my initial flavor. should i use a heating pad and will that effect things negatively in the first 24-48hrs ?

its winter here atm so a heating element will need to eventually be introduced.

Which "standard yeast" are you using? The reason I ask is that all of the ale yeast strains I've ever used make a far better beer at 18C than at 30C. An ale fermented at 30 C would be darn near undrinkable due to the off-flavors and by-products from the yeast. Munton's and Cooper's yeast produce a barely drinkable beer (they are poor quality yeast strains) but at 18C they may be be much better.

If your room temperature is below 16C, you may need to warm up the fermenter. But unless you are actually below 16C, it won't be an issue. Also keep in mind that fermentation itself produces heat so in a room that is 17C, the fermenting beer could easily be 22C which is on the verge of too warm. Most people don't have any issue fermenting beer at normal room temperatures but basements, cellars, and garages can sometimes be a bit too cool in the winter.

Which "standard yeast" are you using? The reason I ask is that all of the ale yeast strains I've ever used make a far better beer at 18C than at 30C. An ale fermented at 30 C would be darn near undrinkable due to the off-flavors and by-products from the yeast. Munton's and Cooper's yeast produce a barely drinkable beer (they are poor quality yeast strains) but at 18C they may be be much better.

If your room temperature is below 16C, you may need to warm up the fermenter. But unless you are actually below 16C, it won't be an issue. Also keep in mind that fermentation itself produces heat so in a room that is 17C, the fermenting beer could easily be 22C which is on the verge of too warm. Most people don't have any issue fermenting beer at normal room temperatures but basements, cellars, and garages can sometimes be a bit too cool in the winter.

Im not to sure what the yeast is. Its just the one that came with the cascade mahogany porter can. I dont have any experience with yeast quiet yet so im not sure whats good and bad yet. ill wait until it hits 17 degress and then put a heat pad on the fermenter until it gets back to 20 degrees ? does that sound any good?

If it seems to be fermenting I would let it be. In almost all cases (the exception being some Belgian ales, Saisons etc) the cooler the better. Some styles lend themselves to a little bit of fruitiness that you will get from a warmer fermentation, but a porter isn't one of them IMO. It sounds like everything is going well. If you have an issue with attaining your final gravity you could then consider warming the beer.

You are better off leaving the beer alone at the temp it's at then trying to raise and lower with heat on and off, yeast don't like big fluctuations in temperature. IMO you are generally better off at the lower end of the yeasts range than the higher end:)

Back