Fermaid K (in beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyso22

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of a red ale. Used S-04 for yeast. Fermentation started within 24hrs like normal and everything appeared fine. Still does in fact, aside from the fact that fermentation hauled quite quickly seems to be quite sluggish. It's a little over 72hrs since pitching. Just did a hydrometer reading and it's at 1.020. So still a little ways to go. Do I leave it be or should I add a little Fermaid K (1tsp in room temp water) to kick things up a bit?

I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of a red ale. Used S-04 for yeast. Fermentation started within 24hrs like normal and everything appeared fine. Still does in fact, aside from the fact that fermentation hauled quite quickly seems to be quite sluggish. It's a little over 72hrs since pitching. Just did a hydrometer reading and it's at 1.020. So still a little ways to go. Do I leave it be or should I add a little Fermaid K (1tsp in room temp water) to kick things up a bit?
I should also mention that temp is at a steady 67F and in a dark room

Increase the temperature and gently rock the fermenter to rouse the yeast.
Don't add nutrient. The yeast may not use all of it and it'll leave off-flavors.

Increase the temperature and gently rock the fermenter to rouse the yeast.
Don't add nutrient. The yeast may not use all of it and it'll leave off-flavors.
Thanks so much! I'll try that!

I’d just leave it another few days. Rdwhahb and all that.
Let me know when it’s done, I’ll be over for a great beer.
Cheers

I’d just leave it another few days. Rdwhahb and all that.
Let me know when it’s done, I’ll be over for a great beer.
Cheers
Hahaha some great advice to follow as well...the best ingredient for beer making is time! I'll probably just leave it be.

In my experience S04 is prone to early flocculation, so some intervention is needed if you want it to finish quickly.

Since it’s a red let it be a higher gravity, imo it’s desirable don’t dry it out like a WC IPA, let it have some body!! (Unless you want that red ipa typenbrew) couple more days then rack it you’ll be where you wanna be [emoji481]

If he's bottling, it's not safe to bottle before fermentation completes.

From what I have read, wort contains everything yeast needs to propagate and ferment your beer except oxygen. Aeerate the wort well before you pitch the yeast and you will be fine. I like to start my ferments cool, then after a few days let them warm to room temp to encourage the yeast to find and consume the last of the sugars.

Back