New batch - blueberry mead!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srimmey

Reaction score
Good morning!

I mixed up a new batch this morning. Praying to the mead gods that it all turns out great!

The blueberry juice was absolutely fantastic to work with. It was much more tannic than I anticipated from a reconstituted concentrate. It has deep floral flavors, a good acid balance and a sturdy tannic structure to hold it all together. The juice would probably make a good wine on its own.

The honey was also amazing! It was very fragrant with lots of good earthy notes. Opening the bucket immediately filled my kitchen with the scent of it all. The flavor was very rich and caramelly. Lots of floral undertones too.

Recipe listed below! It’s surprisingly simple, I didn’t want to add any acids or tannins due to the nature of the juice. I will all lots of oak in secondary, American medium toast (x2 - 3 gallon spirals).
IMG_0454.jpeg

15g gofirm (in 250ml of water)
71b yeast
2.5 quarts of blueberry concentrate
14lb carrot honey
Water to 6 gallons
OG=1.120
16 grams fermaid O (4 additions)
3 tablespoons pectic enzymes

Pictures and explanations from the process shown below!

4 gallons of blueberry juice + a little extra concentrate to cover up to 5 gallons all mixed up.
IMG_0456.jpeg

OG of the blueberry juice - this was before the final gallon of water was mixed in.
IMG_0458.jpeg

Adding the honey! This stuff was VERY viscous. Much more so than the sage, blackberries or clover honey I used in the past.
IMG_0460.jpeg

Mixing it all together, still need to add 1 gallon of water but I wanted lots of head room in the bucket so I could really crank the drill. This ensures lots of oxygen is mixed in and the honey is well incorporated.
IMG_0462.jpeg

OG after the last gallon was added. Right on the money to turn out at around 16% abv. It might make it all the way there or it might crap out at 15% so I wouldn’t need to back sweeten at all.
IMG_0463.jpeg

Final product, all mixed together with yeast, pectic enzymes and first 4grams of fermaid O. Off to the fermentation closet! I’ll check it tonight before bed, I suspect it will start showing airlock action within 12 hours.
IMG_0466.jpeg

I made really good experiences with blueberry juice in mead. It delivers the right amount of tannins and acid to glue it all together and also some nice flavour. Sour cherry juice works kind of the same way btw. Next one I want to try is Cassis.

I made really good experiences with blueberry juice in mead. It delivers the right amount of tannins and acid to glue it all together and also some nice flavour. Sour cherry juice works kind of the same way btw. Next one I want to try is Cassis.
I love sour cherry juice! I still have 14 or 15 bottles of the smoked cherry mead I made last year and it has now officially hit the bar of “amazing”. The stuff has the right acids and tannins to carry the mead and its flavor really comes out solid. Contemplating entering a bottle of it in the county fair this year.

Did you take a pH reading?

I'm extremely curious what it is with that honey in the mix.
I didn’t and I’m honestly a little afraid to. Based off how the juice tastes, the ph of the of just the blueberry is in the 3.5-4.0 range.

The honey will crater in PH as it ferments down. I’ll take a final PH reading when it craps out. I’m guessing it will land right around 3.0.

If fermentation stalls, it will definitely be because of low PH. 71B is fantastic at dealing with those problems though and I already have great airlock activity at around 8 hours post pitch. Hopefully it carries through to at least 1.010

This batch is going to be a struggle. I should have done some PH correction on day 1.

Checked the gravity today and it was still at 1.099, yesterday was 1.105. Definitely more sluggish than usual.

I added 5 grams of potassium carbonate to increase the PH. 2 hours later and it seems like the fermentation rate has already increased dramatically.

Here is for hoping!
IMG_0470.jpeg

Last edited:
A lot of my meads I don't remember to check pH... if I'm adding items into primary, I almost always check pH unless its something I'm really familiar with.

Honestly, I'm more worried about a high pH then a low one. Lower pH means less K-Meta and it is very rare for the pH to be so low that it stalls... though you might have crossed that threshold.

I worry about high pH because at 4.6 and above, if present, dormant botulism in honey can grow. My having suspected adulterated honey that created a must at a pH of 5.0 was alarming to me, though it did rapidly crash to 3.6.

So has the fermentation gotten back to a normal pace?
Yep!

It was down to 1.089 when I checked it at around 5pm. It’s still glugging along line a champ. I wouldn’t be upset at all if it crapped out at 1.010 - 1.015.

That blueberry juice TART! I mixed some up for easy drinking and it honestly needed a dab of honey to make it pleasant. Unless it stalls again, I’ll wait until fermentation is complete to get a new PH reading. I’m hoping it doesn’t spring back up. I used 71b so i expect it to soften any available malic acid in the juice.

If it does, I’ll add some malic or citric back in so it finishes at 3.5.

A lot of my meads I don't remember to check pH... if I'm adding items into primary, I almost always check pH unless its something I'm really familiar with.

Honestly, I'm more worried about a high pH then a low one. Lower pH means less K-Meta and it is very rare for the pH to be so low that it stalls... though you might have crossed that threshold.

I worry about high pH because at 4.6 and above, if present, dormant botulism in honey can grow. My having suspected adulterated honey that created a must at a pH of 5.0 was alarming to me, though it did rapidly crash to 3.6.
I never realized honey could harbor botulism! That’s a bit alarming… thank you for the heads up.

The struggle continues…

Fermentation stalled again Friday night. This time I added 64oz of high PH water. It diluted the gravity 10 points and increased the PH by 0.5.

Hopefully no more adjustments need made…

i like your recipe i really love working with blueberry juice. for all the reasons you said. tannins acid body color flavor aroma. etc.
i use bilberry juice which packs even more bluberriness but is harder to find. and yes blueberry juice with white or red grape makes a great aromatic bluberry wine.

1710807393022.png

i also add fruit teas for color and tannins.

ahmad cherry rose hip hibiscus tea works great in meads and ciders to add color tannins and flavor and aroma.

i havent found a good blueberry tea yet.

speaking of cherry juice, 1/3 tart cherry to 2/3 dark cherry makes a greet mead or cider additive. for cherry cider or meads.

best is triple cherry juice with dark, white and sour cherries, but very limited availability

1710807335243.png

i like your recipe i really love working with blueberry juice. for all the reasons you said. tannins acid body color flavor aroma. etc.
i use bilberry juice which packs even more bluberriness but is harder to find. and yes blueberry juice with white or red grape makes a great aromatic bluberry wine.

View attachment 844448

i also add fruit teas for color and tannins.

ahmad cherry rose hip hibiscus tea works great in meads and ciders to add color tannins and flavor and aroma.

i havent found a good blueberry tea yet.

speaking of cherry juice, 1/3 tart cherry to 2/3 dark cherry makes a greet mead or cider additive. for cherry cider or meads.

best is triple cherry juice with dark, white and sour cherries, but very limited availability

View attachment 844443
Thank you for the advice! I might have to try and find some of these juices. I’ve never had bilberry, I would be very interested in giving it a shot.

If you are going to try this again, perhaps try letting the honey+water mixture ferment first, using standard staggered nutrient additions and then add the blueberry juice somewhere in the middle when the yeast numbers have built up.

Dodged a bullet this evening on this 1!

I inspected it after work to check in on continual signs of active fermentation. At first glance i thought it stalled again because there was no airlock activity with lots of sugar to go still.

A second look made my eyes pop out a little. The bucket lid was showing major signs of bloating and the airlock was sealed shut with yeasty/sugary gunk.

Popping the lid released A TON of gas. A new airlock was placed and happy bubbles have resumed.

I would have hated to see the inside of my closet if a 6 gallon bucket exploded! Blueberry tar for days….

Back