Fancey-ing Up Cherry Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlpavalko

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a notion to brew a cherry ale for the fall/holiday season, and found a recipe that seems promising. It comes from Charlie Papizian's "Joy of Home Brewing."

"Cherries in Snow"

5 gallon batch --

8.5# Alexander's light malt extract syrup
1.5 oz Santiam hops (boiling)
.5 oz Santiam hops (finish)
10# sour cherries
American ale yeast

I am not opposed to an all-extract brew, but in the past most of the liquid malt extract recipes I have tried come out tasting a bit off. I don't know if it is because of the liquid extract (which is already cooked once) getting cooked again, or just my tastebuds, but I'd like to fancey up this recipe with some specialty grains and swap LME for DME.

My Questions:

Has anyone had the same troubles with liquid extracts? Does anyone else think they taste funny?

Any suggestions for grains? I am thinking Crystal 60 for something golden in color, and maybe rolled oats for some body?

Any suggestions for cherry flavor? I'd love to use fresh cherries, but am open to cherry flavor extract.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back