raisin or? additions to a dubbel xmas beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzeQ

Reaction score
Greetings. Getting close to transferring Binkys dubbel down Partial mash kit to secondary. To get a seasonal beer they suggest adding spices, specifically 1 cinnamon stick, 2 clove and 2lbs of raisins in secondary. I was going to possibly add 2 oz's of peppercorns as well. I was concerned the raisins would kick off secondary so googling led to people only adding a few ozs or handfuls or off flavours could occur. I've never spiced a beer before. I'm not married to the raisins but the HH's favorite ale is Silvercity's old scrooge and I thought the raisins would add the plummy note.
" Aroma of candi malt, plums, apple, light stone fruit, a little vanilla. Flavor is mild caramel and biscuit malt, plums, raisins, light cherry, a hint of red wine with suggestions of seasonal spicing in the finish. Medium bodied with light creaminess."
I realize I will get nothing close to their recipe but It would be nice to get a few similar flavour notes.

The dubbel kit had 8 oz Carafoam 8 lbs pale extract 5 hbu bittering hops
4 oz caramunich. 1 lb dark sugar Candi 1 oz aroma of hallertau
8 oz. aromatic
8 oz biscuit
I'd really appreciate a step in the right direction.

If you are committed to raisins, you don't need to add anywhere near that much unless you want an oppressive raisin flavor taking over everything. There's a lot of fruit in them, so yes, they will ferment out. Four ounces is enough for a five gallon batch of a dubbel (per recipe in Brew Like a Monk).

That's probably also way too much peppercorn, unless you're after a really peppery beer. 0.20 ounces is a good starting point for a five gallon batch, again, unless you're after a heavy pepper flavor.

The other spice amounts are fine. You'll want to taste the beer frequently to make sure you aren't getting overspiced beer. You can always add more or let the spices relax in the beer longer but you can't get excess flavor back out.

If you are committed to raisins, you don't need to add anywhere near that much unless you want an oppressive raisin flavor taking over everything. There's a lot of fruit in them, so yes, they will ferment out. Four ounces is enough for a five gallon batch of a dubbel (per recipe in Brew Like a Monk).

That's probably also way too much peppercorn, unless you're after a really peppery beer. 0.20 ounces is a good starting point for a five gallon batch, again, unless you're after a heavy pepper flavor.

The other spice amounts are fine. You'll want to taste the beer frequently to make sure you aren't getting overspiced beer. You can always add more or let the spices relax in the beer longer but you can't get excess flavor back out.
Thank you! I'm not committed to the raisins. It was on the kit recipe guidelines. 2lbs is a heck of a lot more than 4 ozs. Greatly appreciated! Think I'll skip the peppercorns that was also the kits 2nd suggestion to add with nutmeg.

Thank you! I'm not committed to the raisins. It was on the kit recipe guidelines. 2lbs is a heck of a lot more than 4 ozs. Greatly appreciated! Think I'll skip the peppercorns that was also the kits 2nd suggestion to add with nutmeg.

Be delicate with the nutmeg as well. Too much and it can make your mouth numb. If you have access to fresh nutmeg, it can taste slightly soapy if you use too much.

Back