Extremely Volatile & Foamy Omega Gulo Starter (w/ photo). Any worries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a yeast starter with Omega Gulo late last night, which smelled amazing right out of the pouch.

This morning, it had a small, normal amount of bubbles centered on top. Then when I went to give it a vigorous swirl, it erupted like a volcano.

In less than 1 second the 1000 ml starter shot through the top of the flask and pushed the (loose) stopper out of place.

It was actually kind of impressive. It still smells awesome, and I'm looking forward to using it, but should I be concerned at all? (Planning to leave extra head space by fermenting 5 gallon batch in a 7 gallon fermonster).

8BC3EBC0-A393-4C66-A6A1-D9E0C9BAB3B9.jpeg

Oh, and I used a can of Propper Starter. But I've used that several times before without anything like this happening.

Last edited:
Don't think there's anything to worry about. I'm using some Gulo slurry from a batch I brewed a couple of months ago. That batch was insane. Iirc, gravity dropped about 50 points in less than48 hours. Today's brew is a Biere de Garde.

Don't think there's anything to worry about. I'm using some Gulo slurry from a batch I brewed a couple of months ago. That batch was insane. Iirc, gravity dropped about 50 points in less than48 hours. Today's brew is a Biere de Garde.

Yeah, I think it's just a really active yeast that my "starter" may be close to a small beer after 7 hours. I plan harvest some of the yeast to use in a later batch as well. (Today is just a strong blonde, but I have some bigger beers planned for the yeast harvest).

Hahaha! Super-saturated with CO2, all it took was something to give it an initial nucleation site to start the chain reaction.
That's something a stir-bar will prevent as it continuously knocks CO2 out of solution - and I once had a bar fly off the magnet overnight and the next morning when I did exactly the same "give it a shake" thing I got the exact same eruption.

Never too old to learn "Don't do that!" :D

Cheers!

Hahaha! Super-saturated with CO2, all it took was something to give it an initial nucleation site to start the chain reaction.
That's something a stir-bar will prevent as it continuously knocks CO2 out of solution - and I once had a bar fly off the magnet overnight and the next morning when I did exactly the same "give it a shake" thing I got the exact same eruption.

Cheers!

Ah, stir-bar makes much more sense now. Thanks.

Cheers!

I had the same thing happen, it just went nuts and started overflowing, what a mess.
WLP-400 Belgian Wit yeast

Quick update, pitched the Gulo starter into 5-gallon batch last night. Added several drops of fermcap, and it is quit the vigorous fermentation but still only about 1 inch of krausen. Thanks for the advice!

Very interesting, looks like you made a really cool 4th grade science project. I have only used Gulo once but it seemed like a pretty normal fermentation... not a huge krausen, I also pitched a 1L starter which didn't do this, but like day tripper said it could be because I use a stir bar. In retrospect I was fermenting on the lowest end of the temperature range, maybe the krausen is impressive when you ramp the temperature up. To anyone who has used this yeast, what is the lowest FG you have reached?

Quick Update: Not quite done fermenting, but getting close. Will take first sample tonight or tomorrow.

Here is clip showing bubble rate at it's most active (2-3 days ago). I suspect the fermcap really helped out here.

Another quick update: About two weeks in, and still slowly fermenting, but I did add fruit and dry hopping, which I think has extended the fermentation time. Hoping to bottle on Monday.

Tastes good, clean, but perhaps a bit more alcohol taste than I expected. I think the fruit and dry hop cut into the overall body more than intended. -Closer to a Saison than what I was aiming for. But the taste may adjust after it ages a bit. And the description of Gulo as high attenuation without phenolics appears to be exactly correct.

Back