Gushing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
What the hell?!?! I made a starter using wy2042 (danish lager) stir plate was going for couple of hours with foil covering the top like I always do. At some point it threw the bar and stopped spinning. When I came home (6-8 hours later) I went to re-center the bar and gave the flask a nice swirl. All of a suddenthe starter gushed like a bottle of coke with a mentors dropped into it!!!! Well I cleaned up, made my helles and itched the yeast at 49* whereat hasbeen sitting in my temp Controlled cabinet. This morning (roughly 12 to 14 hours after pitching) I gave it a little shake. Little bit of foaming. Nothing major. I go to work and come home and repeat the swirl of the fermenter after yet another 12 hours.......guess whet happened? Holy crap it gushed again. I admit the stopper got a little stuck so there could have been an issue with co2 escaping but this want the issue with the starter.

Is this normal? Normal for wy2042??? Everything smells and looks fine but this was like a 4th grade volcano science project!

Try that same thing with a can of pop. Yup, it wants to be a volcano. The same cause, dissolved CO2. Your stir plate keeps stirring it out so it doesn't collect as much.

I know. I know. Been brewing 9 years. Starters, stir plates, and lagers. Nothing new there. But I've never had this happen before

Back