Extract vs All Grain Brew Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
It has been years since I brewed using an extract kit and this weekend I am going to teach someone how to brew using one of those kits. Typically I do all grain and my brew day lasts about 6 hours, almost on the nose. Since I do a dough in (15 minutes), full mash (60 minutes) and a mash out (15 minutes) I assume I can subtract 90 minutes from my typical All Grain brew day to get an estimated amount of time for brewing with extract.

Is 4 hours and 30 minutes typical for extract in your experience(s)?

That's pretty typical for me... but I've only got 3 solo-batches under my belt.

Probably a safe bet.

Let's see...

20-30 mins for steeping specialty grains

20 to get the water boiling

Another 5 for it to come back to a boil after adding extract

60 for the boil

Maybe 30 to get it chilled and transferred?

Another 30 for cleanup.

I'm coming in around 3 hours unless there's something I'm missing, which is entirely possible.

Edited to add that I'd missed that you're teaching a newbie. 4.5 sounds right for the extra teaching time and going slower to they can see and learn. Have fun!

I would estimate extract to be about 50% of the time AG takes.

Water to boil: 30 minutes?
Add extract get back to boil: 10 minutes
Boil: 60 minutes
Chill: 30 minutes?
Transfer and pitch: 15 minutes
Clean up: 30 minutes?

Or there abouts.

Let's see...

20-30 mins for steeping specialty grains

20 to get the water boiling

Another 5 for it to come back to a boil after adding extract

60 for the boil

Maybe 30 to get it chilled and transferred?

Another 30 for cleanup.

I'm coming in around 3 hours unless there's something I'm missing, which is entirely possible.

Edited to add that I'd missed that you're teaching a newbie. 4.5 sounds right for the extra teaching time and going slower to they can see and learn. Have fun!

Yes, the steeping of grains is something I am not accustomed to doing anymore so it is really good you mentioned it. Thank you to everyone, looks like I'll be able to do a rare afternoon brew in the winter rather than stretching it over lunch time. Cool.

You can reduce the time even further. The only reason you boil the extract for 60min is to extract bitterness from hops. The extract itself does not require a long boil, just enough to get it sterilised. The hot break already happened in the brewery. So all you need to do is to change your recipe to remove any 60min hop additions, and boil all the hops for say 15min. You will need more hops to achieve the same IBU but by boilin only 15 min it will reduce the brew day time significantly.
Note that this may not be applicable to all beer styles as the late hop additions will add some aroma and flavour, as opposed to just bitterness.

Back