Extract recipes for Porters and Stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
The LHBS is having a contest to create the next light extract w/steeping grains kit. It needs to be light extract, for 6 gallons and I think a simple ingredient list would help. I see a need for a stout or a porter in their line up so I will submit one of each.
I would plan to use Nottingham, S05 or S04 because they're economical. I plan to use 7# LME for 6 gallons but I've listed the steeping grains in the amounts given for a 5 gallon recipes and I'll multiply by 1.2 for the end recipe.
If you guys have feedback about these recipes it would help me choose which one to go with.

Here are the recipes I've been looking at:

Porter- Whose Your Taddy? from Classic Styles- 7# LME 1#Brown, 1#Crystal 40, 10 oz chocolate malt, Fuggles and Nottingham.

Porter- Port O' Palmer Porter from How to Brew- 7# LME, 1/2# chocolate, 1/2# crystal 60, 1/4# black, nugget, willamette, and american ale.

Porter- Edmund Fitzgerald Clone from HBT- 7# LME, .75# crystal 50, 1/2# roasted, 1/2# chocolate malt, Northern Brewer, Fuggles, Willamette, and Nottingham.

Stout- Dusty Irish Mud from the Joy of Home Brewing- 7# LME, 1# Crystal 40, 3/4# Roasted malt, 1/2# Black, Goldings, Willamette, Nottingham.

Stout- Fundamental Stout from Radical Brewing- 7# LME, 1#black, 1# dark crystal, fuggles, and S05

Stout- Mill Run Stout from How to Brew- 7# LME, 1/2# crystal 60, 1/2# roasted malt, nugget, fuggles, and S05.

Since its a contest, you need your brew to stand out. If you want to make a stout, perhaps a clone of Rogue chocolate stout or Jamil's chocolate hazelnut stout? Or keep it simple and do the 15 minute cascade/centennial APA (found on HBT). You could add some dry hop for extra punch.
Your listed recipes are all good, but in a contest like that, you need a little something more if you want to win. How are they doing the judging? Does style matter?

Porter- Whose Your Taddy? from Classic Styles- 7# LME 1#Brown, 1#Crystal 40, 10 oz chocolate malt, Fuggles and Nottingham.

I don't think they want something that is from a book. It would be false pride to win with someone else recipe. What does the brown do in a steeping recipe?

Porter- Port O' Palmer Porter from How to Brew- 7# LME, 1/2# chocolate, 1/2# crystal 60, 1/4# black, nugget, willamette, and american ale.

Again, not original. What is American Ale?

Porter- Edmund Fitzgerald Clone from HBT- 7# LME, .75# crystal 50, 1/2# roasted, 1/2# chocolate malt, Northern Brewer, Fuggles, Willamette, and Nottingham.

Again, not original.

Stout- Dusty Irish Mud from the Joy of Home Brewing- 7# LME, 1# Crystal 40, 3/4# Roasted malt, 1/2# Black, Goldings, Willamette, Nottingham.

Again, not original.

Stout- Fundamental Stout from Radical Brewing- 7# LME, 1#black, 1# dark crystal, fuggles, and S05

Again, not original.

Stout- Mill Run Stout from How to Brew- 7# LME, 1/2# crystal 60, 1/2# roasted malt, nugget, fuggles, and S05.

Again, not original.

I'm happy to comment on anything original, but I really don't think you should be copying anything to put into a competition. You could take one and change it and make it your own. I think they are looking for something you have brewed and think is really good.

Here is the add for the competition at the LBS:

Well, without further ado, here you go:
We are ecstatic to finally be able to announce our first ever home brewing competition that will be taking place over the next few months.
As many of you know, here at Grape & Grain, we offer a wide variety of options to the budding home brewer, from classic Coopers canned kits, wonderful introductory Brew House kits, BrewcraftUSA extract kits and our very own Scotty's Beer Kits.
Scott has been developing these recipes for the past 20 years, testing and reworking recipes to meet new demands and the new advances in technology that our hobby gives us.
But now, he wants to put the reigns into YOUR hands; that's right, we are now looking to you for the next great recipe to be available in the Scotty's Beer Kit line.
So here are the details. You submit a recipe and TWO (or more) sample bottles of a beer that:
1) Uses light liquid malt and/or liquid wheat malt (extract recipe)
2) Utilizes ingredients and additives that we sell here at the store or are easily sourced (no spruce tips from your back yard please.)
3) Appropriately named recipe title is a plus. Puns are good, too.
Our wonderful judges will choose their three (3) favourites to win a prize package from our store.
The two (2) runners up will each win three of our Scotty's Kits and our Grand prize winner will win free Scotty's Kits for a year.
That's right! Free Scotty's kits, one per month for an entire year! You will win one of each of our existing 11 kits and one of your very own kit with your name on it.
All entries must be submitted by April 30th, 2015 in order to be considered for prizing.
We look forward to seeing all of the entries start trickling into the store soon.

The LBS has 11 kits that all use 7# of light LME or 7# of wheat LME and they all make 6 gallons. The darkest style they have is a brown ale. All others are fairly light. It seems to me that a stout or porter is what they sorely lack. And isn't that the easiest extract style to brew?!?
So my plan is to make a stout and split up the batch during the secondary so I can show what it would be like with vanilla or chocolate added. So it would be a recipe that would include directions to alter it for vanilla or chocolate and perhaps other additions (which is why I'm posting this on-line for your perusal).
I plan to brew 6 gallons using 7# of light LME, 14 oz roasted malt, 10 oz black malt and 1# 2 oz of crystal lovibond 77. I will use an ounce of Northern Brewer at 60 minutes and Nottingham ale yeast.
After the primary fermentation I will put rack 2 gallons into separate 1 gallon jugs and let them sit with some vanilla extract (to taste) in one and chocolate nibs (1 ounce) in the other and let them sit for 7 days. Then I will present 3 different samples for the competition: the stout, with vanilla and with chocolate.
I think that using the basic ingredients used in their other kits and providing several examples that the kit could be made into will be real bonuses. I have heard that a some other brewers using all-grain plan to submit their beers with a recipe for an extract version but I am taking the angle of using their usual materials because it makes the use of the recipe much more convenient and realistic.

Have a killer recipe for a Russian Imperial Stout but it uses Gold LME...

If you want it I would be happy to share it with you!

Have my own personal tweaks on the recipe to add bourbon barrel aging flavors, and a few attempts at making a chocolate flavored version.

please share the recipe JLeuck.

I looked at the Chocolate Oatmeal Porter. It looks like a good recipe. I wonder how it would be as a base recipe without oatmeal. I think you need partial mash to utilize the oatmeal. If it's a good recipe I could try my idea of making a large batch and splitting it up into secondaries to try different additions (ex. vanilla and chocolate.

Back