Extra light/session extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ONBrewer

Reaction score
A little pretext;
With the sun starting to shine again and snow starting to melt, I am hopeful that summer will eventually return to Canada. There is nothing I love more then being outside in the nice weather. Be it gardening, landscaping, woodworking, fishing, or just sitting back drinking beer.. I love being outside enjoying the sunshine!

My go to hot weather beer has always been coors light(I know..), because it does taste better then water. Lately I have been thinking about brewing a VERY low ABV beer for the hot days to come.

My idea was to brew a coopers kit (they are cheap, easy to brew, easy to get, and I've always had decent results so far) with nothing but the prehopped kit and water to 23L. Something like the draught, lager or cerveza.. good summertime beers. Beersmith predicts these will come out at 2.1% ABV.. Perfect for a lawnmower beer.

Ive done some looking around on the interwebs but haven't seen anyone who's tried this.. I know for another $3 worth of DME I could make real beer, but that isn't the point..

So what do you think HBT?

There a lot of people making really nice session beers...ales and lagers. Here a decent place to start reading for more ideas.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/sub-1-030-beers-378450/

I do a couple of simple, small batch, low grav, extract beers I like to make too. They're quote tasty and easy to make in a couple hours.
I would recommend considering adding steeping grains to any prehopped can. Low grav beers benefit from some added complexity.

Have fun with it!

Thanks for the link Weezy..
When it warms up a bit more I will get away from the kit brews and get back to the full boils, and hopefully step up to Ag this year.. But it would almost seem like a waste of time to brew <2% beers.

I am hoping to find someone who has tried this with a canned kit, or at least some thoughts ideas on how it would turn out. I think it would turn out good, IME the lighter beers turn out fine with just the kit and added dextrose. It maybe a bit off balance and more hop forward, but I can live with that..

Latest posts

Back