Essential non brewing equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you mind describing how you made this and provide a parts list? Also, do you clean kegs with it in a bucket or how?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/another-diy-keg-fermenter-washer.666573/https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/i-made-a-keg-carboy-washer-out-of-a-utility-pump.665002/
I made something pretty similar to the first link. Outside of the ball lock connectors, all the parts you can get at your local home improvement store. I ended up with a couple of trips to Home Depot before I got it all figured out....but...that's just because I never do anything the easy way. If a job has a rough estimated time of X minutes, hours, etc., I'll easily end up taking up twice that amount of time.

Greywolf mentioned a light, and how right that is! This is what I use, all the time, between my brewery, keezer, and lots of other places. W
20201205_111946.jpg
ith a XC4 or 6 battery, this lasts almost forever on a charge.

Greywolf mentioned a light, and how right that is! This is what I use, all the time, between my brewery, keezer, and lots of other places. WView attachment 709006ith a XC4 or 6 battery, this lasts almost forever on a charge.
Doh!!
How could I forget my headlamp?!?!
I constantly have that thing on my head when brewing or just screwing around the garage or maintenance on the vehicles.
03EB9EA5-9233-4FDB-8B8E-3A9B2C657367.jpeg

Btw- I’ve gone through quite a few brands and models before settling on this model. I love that it has a rechargeable battery but can also run on AAAs.

This hydraulic rolling cart has been a life saver for me. Due to spine problems I can't pick up anything heavy so I bought this and just slide things on and off of it to where they need to go. The fermenter stays on it until I empty it when bottling. BTW that is an imperial stout that I am bottling today.
12-6-2020 bottling.jpg

That thing is Sa-Weet! .... Ive thought of using an old ATV winch for lifting heavy pots, but yer method is more appropriate ....

Would you mind describing how you made this and provide a parts list? Also, do you clean kegs with it in a bucket or how?
Sorry I missed this question. Looks like @Knightshade answered with some links that are very similar to mine. I built mine from a post I read on brulosophy, BruBlaster. They have a parts list too. I bought my pvc parts come the big box store and ordered the pump and cip online. I originally used a bucket lid to set the keg/carboy on but it was very flimsy, so I did another one out of a pizza pan and it was much sturdier.

Harbor Freight has these on sale for 5 bucks. Seems like a great deal but I haven't checked them out yet. I was using one from Amazon and I dropped it off my counter. The nozzle part broke off. I ordered a replacement that evening. They really do come in handy. I've bottled a little bit straight from my tap (using Tapcooler filler) and I no longer use a starsan bath. I give each bottle a quick squirt and I'm ready.
1613772766235.png

An episode dedicated to what we are discussing here.
When I saw this I immediately ordered the butterfly hose clamps. I had no idea these things existed. I’m a bit embarrassed to admit how many times I’ve jabbed my hand w a screwdriver trying to tighten hose clamps.
Another thing she mentions is microfiber cloths- I use the same ones. They have a million uses and are easy to clean.

Pro tip: Regular black sharpie will
come off with alcohol. Red sharpie is a PITA to get the last 10% off.
Sharpies labeled “industrial use” won’t come all the way off with anything I’m aware of.

I’m stealing the idea of using a garden sprayer. I’ve been through to many of those Zep hand sprayers.

When I saw this I immediately ordered the butterfly hose clamps. I had no idea these things existed. I’m a bit embarrassed to admit how many times I’ve jabbed my hand w a screwdriver trying to tighten hose clamps.
Another thing she mentions is microfiber cloths- I use the same ones. They have a million uses and are easy to clean.

I use a nut driver to turn those clamps. Much easier to use than a screwdriver and safer.

I find essential the racket to get rid of flies (and mosquitoes, naturally)

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B087JNVWRX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cheap trolley to move around fermenters and kettles in my flat

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00BN57RBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cheap pulley, €12

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B003XMWQRC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Serious 60cm stainless steel spoon, doesn't break in your hands:

https://www.mr-malt.it/cucchiaio-acciaio-60-cm.html
Cheap €16 but fast and effective thermometer: I use it continuously, for sparge water, for re-hydrating water, for mash, for boil, for wort. I don't know how did I do without

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B085ZTWW56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this chemist scale which weights to the milligram

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B011J88S8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
I use it for the water conditioning (minerals).

Also a pipette which is marked at 1 ml is very useful. That is usually found with liquid herbal tinctures or, in case, can be bought at a chemist's. That makes lactic acid additions easy.

[Once you go the chemist's, you can order some ammonium bicarbonate to prepare candi sugar].

You mean you didn't amazon a 1/4" ratchet set just for homebrew stuff?

fwiw, I use worm clamps for all kinds of fermentation and racking stuff, and keep these two drivers handy in my brew pantry...

View attachment 719724

Cheers!
I have tools but they seem to hide from me when I need them the most. A tool free option comes in handy.
The other nice thing about butterfly clamps is that it’s harder to overtighten.

If you use something for brewing although not originally intended for it, does it not then become brewing equipment?

Yes, but it's good source of inspiration for other homebrewers, I guess that's the spirit of the thread. Sometimes little objects offer great solutions to small problems.

This hydraulic rolling cart has been a life saver for me.

I cannot find anything similar here but I am seriously considering an "alzadamigiane" (carboy lifter)

https://www.polsinelli.it/carrello-alzadamigiana-P514.htm
This arrives up to 90cm from the ground, the lifting action is through an hand pulley.
I have to decide whether my apartment is for my use or my beer. I think I will ultimately buy this as well.

White board
I have a small-ish one I use just to keep track of everything. Whats on tap, whats in bottles, whats in primary, what’s in secondary for an overview of where I’m at.

I still label everything. I just stick painter’s tape on my carboy and write what it is, date brewed, og, and yeast. Then I just transfer the tape to another carboy if I use a settling carboy. Finally I can transfer the same piece of tape to the inside lid of the case when/if I bottle.

For bottle labels I am loving these FastLabels, but they seem to be getting hard to find now. Basically a plastic shrink that goes over the bottom 3/4 of the bottle. I print my labels with Photoshop and cut them out. Then you stick the label inside the plastic shrink and do a quick dunk in boiling water. No glue or anything, and the plastic is waterproof. When you’re done you just peel the plastic off and the label falls right off.

For my kegerator, I have a couple blank tap handles I bought. Again I just print the labels with photoshop, cut them out and stick them on with double sided tape. I used to cover the label with clear contact paper first, but I haven’t even been doing that lately.

This carboy brush is ESSENTIAL for getting at tough to clean spots, particularly the upper corners of the 3 gallon better bottle.

Attachments

• 51B6J7+wTmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51B6J7+wTmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210207_161951 (1).jpg
    20210207_161951 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
Latest pick up for wife who requires carbonated water on draft. Struggled with removing the Sankey retaining ring (I keg 15 gallons of water at a time and not aware of a 15 gallon corny keg) and almost purchased a tool designed for it's removal. It was $2 vice the $30 for the specialized tool.

63697_W3.jpg

Latest posts

Back