Essential non brewing equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We all have brewing equipment that we love and can’t do without.

But how about non brewing specific equipment or gadgets that make our brew days easier or more enjoyable.

I’ll go first-
1) therma pen. I love it and use it for a ton of household uses, cooking etc
2) pressurized sprayer bottle filled with starsan. Man this thing is convenient. I can spray bottles, air locks, spoons- you name it, without having a bucket of sanitizer. I saw it on a brewing YouTube vid. If it broke I’d replace it by the end of the day.
AD3F17D2-C99F-40B5-BF3C-DA82001C131E.jpeg

paint stirrer.jpg

Stainless paint/mud stirrer. Invaluable for mashing in, mixing batch sparge water, homogenizing first and second runnings of wort, stirring while using immersion chiller, aerating wort pre-pitch, mixing sugar in kombucha tea, etc., etc., etc. All you need is a cordless drill to go with it.

View attachment 707132
Stainless paint/mud stirrer. Invaluable for mashing in, mixing batch sparge water, homogenizing first and second runnings of wort, stirring while using immersion chiller, aerating wort pre-pitch, mixing sugar in kombucha tea, etc., etc., etc. All you need is a cordless drill to go with it.
Nice. I have a wine type whip but it’s pretty flimsy. I t would break if I used it in the mash.

Fluke 52-2
https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-52-2-Input-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00012Z124
Bought it shortly after I started brewing so that I could get accurate temperatures WITHOUT using 'instant read' thermometers. I have several sensors installed in my MLT, HLT, at the outlet of the plate chiller and more hanging around (I drop one into my boil keggle once I start chilling). I even installed one more recently so that I could get a temperature read as fluid goes back into one of my brew keggles.

Hell I even use it in my tea kettle when making bread (heating up water to make sure the yeast will be happy and not harmed).

I thought it was a hop infuser. ;)

I live in Portland, OR and it you can't drive a mile without passing two or three weed shops. It reminds me of the early 2000s when every corner had at least one coffee shop.

We all have brewing equipment that we love and can’t do without.

But how about non brewing specific equipment or gadgets that make our brew days easier or more enjoyable.

I’ll go first-
1) therma pen. I love it and use it for a ton of household uses, cooking etc
2) pressurized sprayer bottle filled with starsan. Man this thing is convenient. I can spray bottles, air locks, spoons- you name it, without having a bucket of sanitizer. I saw it on a brewing YouTube vid. If it broke I’d replace it by the end of the day.View attachment 707126
I like this! Can you give us a name or link? Because I've learned (in gardening) that all sprayers are NOT the same, and you can go through a few before you get one that works right for your application.

I like this! Can you give us a name or link? Because I've learned (in gardening) that all sprayers are NOT the same, and you can go through a few before you get one that works right for your application.
https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-1002-...e&qid=1606937965&sprefix=pressurized+&sr=8-17This is the one I got. It’s slightly different from the pic.
I’ve had it for a few months and it works great. I’ve saved quite a bit of starsan since I usually don’t need to mix up a batch for sanitizing.

I thought it was a hop infuser. ;)

I live in Portland, OR and it you can't drive a mile without passing two or three weed shops. It reminds me of the early 2000s when every corner had at least one coffee shop.

Isn't that the truth! They're every where now.

For me, a non-brewing piece that I find useful is my 48oz Industrial Zep sprayer from Home Depot, much like AzOr, it beats having a bucket and having to dunk everything. It's crazy how much StarSan you save using a sprayer.
1607010395674.png

Isn't that the truth! They're every where now.

For me, a non-brewing piece that I find useful is my 48oz Industrial Zep sprayer from Home Depot, much like AzOr, it beats having a bucket and having to dunk everything. It's crazy how much StarSan you save using a sprayer.
View attachment 708767
I'll admit I'm helping us go down a small rabbit hole , but I have a Zep bottle like this one (except it is 32 oz), and I really don't like its rather coarse spray output. It really throws out the StarSans (more than desired). I previously had a similar "Lowes" brand spray bottle (also 32 oz), and I loved its finer mist. Sadly, I don't think the Lowes product is offered anymore. I am hoping that this Chapin sprayer can provide a similar fine spray. Funny how small differences can get under your skin sometimes!

Comfortable Chair
???
Are you royalty? My brew days are usually pretty busy cleaning equipment etc. Sometimes I’m cleaning or putting stuff away from the last time. Ok almost always.
I actually don’t mind though. It’s my alone time so just being alone Brewing is relaxing.

My sump pump has been a time saver. I use it for cycling ice water through my immersion chiller for cool down, diy keg and fermenter cleaner, kegerator line cleaning, etc

View attachment 708802 View attachment 708803
I use a smaller pond pump for the same purpose as well. It has come in handy for non brewing chores as well.
I have hooked it up to a freshwater tank in a slide in truck camper to clean and drain. Works like a charm.

i have a fridge i DON'T keep beer in?

and a ph meter, that before i got it for beer. didn't know how much fun science was! used it for all kinds of smart person stuff since.

i have a fridge i DON'T keep beer in?

and a ph meter, that before i got it for beer. didn't know how much fun science was! used it for all kinds of smart person stuff since.
Haha. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used my thermapen to take temps of everything from cooking to checking my tap water.

Haha. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used my thermapen to take temps of everything from cooking to checking my tap water.

that reminds me, i have a IR thermometer, i use it for checking my fermenter temp, heating frying oil. all kinds of stuff...

Echo Dot. Got it from my mother when she got the Echo Show. Much easier to use as a timer, also she tells me jokes. And a fairly old space heater I got from my dad's garage when we were cleaning it out after he had to go to memory care; he got mad at it once and bent the crap out of the base, but I got it fixed and now it provides great heat on those cold mornings. And, one more; a hose cutter I got from HF for about 10 bucks; makes super clean cuts in anything up to PEX pipe. Funny story; not long after I got it, the husband was looking for our pruning shears to get rid of some blackberry brambles in the back yard. I saw him coming out of the garage with my pretty new hose cutter in his hands and about had a coronary. Found the pruning shears for him lickety split and hid the hose cutter.

Echo Dot. Got it from my mother when she got the Echo Show. Much easier to use as a timer, also she tells me jokes. And a fairly old space heater I got from my dad's garage when we were cleaning it out after he had to go to memory care; he got mad at it once and bent the crap out of the base, but I got it fixed and now it provides great heat on those cold mornings. And, one more; a hose cutter I got from HF for about 10 bucks; makes super clean cuts in anything up to PEX pipe. Funny story; not long after I got it, the husband was looking for our pruning shears to get rid of some blackberry brambles in the back yard. I saw him coming out of the garage with my pretty new hose cutter in his hands and about had a coronary. Found the pruning shears for him lickety split and hid the hose cutter.
Tube cutter- that’s my next HF purchase! My hose lines are all crooked and gnarly looking. I usually cut with my pocket knife.

Tube cutter- that’s my next HF purchase! My hose lines are all crooked and gnarly looking. I usually cut with my pocket knife.
I recently 3d printed a jig to use to ensure clean cuts specifically for evabarrier (or any 8mm hose), works fantastic and cost me pennies!

Did anyone mention how important tunes are to the whole process? I can't just sit there listening the the hiss of the hellfire. And a good light is nice to see into the boil pot and when cleaning kegs. I brew in the shed and it can get dark in there.

@cayde1001 Im curious if you could explain how you attached the ball lock connectors to your pump? I assume they are the pop bottle thread right?

You are correct. The connectors are the stainless carb caps. They are threaded and fit the same adapter that a garden hose would connect to, or a soda bottle like you mention.

???
Are you royalty? My brew days are usually pretty busy cleaning equipment etc. Sometimes I’m cleaning or putting stuff away from the last time. Ok almost always.
I actually don’t mind though. It’s my alone time so just being alone Brewing is relaxing.
Nah, I BIAB. theres not a lot to to do while mashing and boiling other that sit in a comfy chair and have a beer.

You are correct. The connectors are the stainless carb caps. They are threaded and fit the same adapter that a garden hose would connect to, or a soda bottle like you mention.

wait, You’re saying that garden hose and pop bottle thread is the same?? How did I not know this? Thanks, that’s helpful!

I'll admit I'm helping us go down a small rabbit hole , but I have a Zep bottle like this one (except it is 32 oz), and I really don't like its rather coarse spray output. It really throws out the StarSans (more than desired). I previously had a similar "Lowes" brand spray bottle (also 32 oz), and I loved its finer mist. Sadly, I don't think the Lowes product is offered anymore. I am hoping that this Chapin sprayer can provide a similar fine spray. Funny how small differences can get under your skin sometimes!
How about an adjustable wallpaper remover? Before putting in wallpaper removal chemical!

Back