English Brown Ale Dry Yeast Choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraordnance

Reaction score
I did my homework, but there is so much debate on this I just can't seems to make a right decision at this point. I have less then 10 batches under my belt, mostly BIAB AG and I have a plan to brew big, malty, complex and beautifull English beer this coming weekend - NE Brown Ale. I brewed few Kolsch's with 2565, Bombshell Blonde Ale with Notty, one cream ale with US-05, Belgian Pale Ale & Belgian Wit both with WLP400, they all were great! I feel like trying something different and Brown Ale sounds delicious to me. The problem is, I have only dry yeast on hand and debating between Notty and S-04 for this brew. Both are English strains, both are good and have raving reviews. I loved how my Bombshell Blonde fermented completely in 90 hours flat with Notty but I also have a pack of S-04 sitting in my fridge just winking at me. I have no experience with this yeast, I know it can throw some esters and not finishing as dry as Notty, but does it matter for this recipe? I have solid fermentation temperature control, so that's not an issue, what do you guys think will taste better in this brew?

Notty or S-04? I personally lean towards Safale just for experiment. Here the recipe, feel free to bash it since I kind of adjusted it (to what I have on hands) from 5* Nut Brown recipe by Lil'Sparky

8.5 Pale Malt 2-row
1 Crystal 20L
0.5 Biscuit malt
0.5 Oats Flaked
0.25 Chocolate malt
0.25 Honey malt
0.10 Roasted Barley
0.5 oz Pearle - 60 min
1.0 oz EKG - 15 min

Thanks for feedback!

The S-04 will have a bit more character, should be good for the brown.

Your recipe looks alright, but there is nothing wrong with simple. I'd probably drop the honey malt (you don't need the added sweetness) and the roasted barley (and up the chocolate).

Good luck, hope it turns out well.

Back