English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally brewed my bitter last night (every time I try to brew on a Saturday, something comes up, so did it a day early :)) I used Nugget at 60 minutes for bittering, and Goldings at 15 min and 2 min. Chilled it down to about 80 degrees F with my sucky immersion chiller, added an ice bottle and moved it to my basement overnight to finish cooling. I overshot the gravity a bit, it's 1.055

I pitched the yeast (S-33) this morning at 66 degrees. The wort looks nice and dark from the invert syrup, and I couldn't smell it last night (from cooking, I guess) but when I opened the lid today it smelled really nice from both the malt and the hops.

Sounds like it'll probably be a winner. I wouldn't worry about the higher than expected gravity. Maybe try to balance the slight uptick in body with a 1-2 oz dry hop if you have it?

Maybe my answer is always dry hop though...:rolleyes:

The krausen fell yesterday; I transferred the beer and just a little of the trub from the bucket to a carboy and moved it to a warmer room. Refractometer reading is now 8 (down from about 14) so I guess it's halfway done. Smells wonderful. I didn't taste it yet, but I filled a 500 ml plastic bottle and hopefully it will carbonate. If it doesn't, I'll open it up and add a sugar cube to prime it. The bigger risk is that it bursts; I will have to monitor it and maybe crack open the cap to relieve the pressure.

S-33 has a bad habit of stalling -- I don't think this is stalled yet -- but racking it should wake it up again if it's getting lazy. So will raising the temperature to about 70. And I saved a pint of the trub to use in cider. The trub was starting to bubble when I put it in the fridge, I hope it doesn't foam up and make a mess.

Calling all Yeastie Boys. White Labs is going to put all vault yeast into production on 1 July. Here's your chance to get something like WLP85 that is collecting an order every 6 months.

If you have not heard the whitelabs vault is getting purged, and you have until the first of July to place your orders.

Looking for recommendation/feedback for the british ale yeasts in the vault.

I was thinking about wlp022 Essex ale, but noticed it was closely related to WL1469 so may not go for that one. Was also thinking about the wlp039 east midlands ale yeast but seen that one being related to Nottingham so might pass on that one too. I plan to slant the yeast so do not wanting to maintain yeast too similar to yeast that is readily available.

Still considering WLP025, WLP026 and WLP033. Can anyone shed some light on the " signature ester character" of WLP033 Klassic Ale yeast?

Any thoughts on the two Australian yeasts?

WLP039 is also due for a Q4 seasonal release, although who knows what's happening with the seasonal releases now - I must admit, I'm not so interested in that one.

Southwold is meant to be really nice, although I haven't tried it myself, and there's maybe less interest here as we can get hold of the Adnams multistrain. WLP026 and WLP038 are the ones that intrigue me as saison types, POF- and POF+ respectively. WLP033 is allegedly from Youngs, and is allegedly similar to 1768, I've seen it described as WLP002 on steroids, but haven't tried it myself.

WLP009 is nice, pretty clean, not tried the Melbourne one.

If you have not heard the whitelabs vault is getting purged, and you have until the first of July to place your orders.

I just looked at their site and nothing says anything about this. Can you provide a link? I have previously put orders for a couple of their vault yeasts that never got enough orders to ship. Are they going to fill the old orders or are they throwing them out?

Thanks

Our strains are breaking out of the Vault
We're releasing all of our Vault Strains, making it easier for you to get your hands on our specialty, creative, and unique strains that typically require 150 pre-orders to get out...until now!

All Vault Strains will go into production July 1st unless a strain hits 150 orders... then it will be pushed into production right away. That means you're not going to want to wait to order your favorites!

mail

After the strains are in production (and on their way to your doorstep) we're making way for something new coming soon to the Vault! Stay tuned...

Order Today

edit: pic/gif is forest gump running past a bunch of mailboxes
moved the text from post in the vault thread on HBT

Last edited:
Still considering WLP025,

Any thoughts on the two Australian yeasts?
I recently got the Southwold WLP025. Quite like it. Was recommended by a micro brewer as his go to strain. I did a split batch 2.5% wheat with Southwold vs Munich Dry vs Burton, and Southwold was the clear winner for me and the local HBS. There is a hint of sulfur but in really good way after 2 weeks in the bottle

From Whitelabs: A slight sulfur note is produced during fermentation, but disappears with aging.

Curious how the sulfur undertones will develop...

So with the vault being emptied I have ordered the following to try on my UK brews:

WLP006 Bedford British Ale Yeast
WLP022 Essex Ale Yeast
WLP026 Premium Bitter Ale Yeast
WLP033 Klassic Ale Yeast
WLP076 Old Sonoma Ale Yeast

These will be added to the yeast bank I currently have for my UK beers:

WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
WLP007 Dry English Ale
WLP013 London Ale
WLP017 Whitbread
WLP023 Burton Ale
WLP037 Yorkshire Square
WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast
WLP099 Super High Gravity
Wy1469 West Yorkshire
Wy1318 London Ale III
Nottingham
Windsor

I have been waiting on some of those yeasts to open up for quite some time, all the while maintaining the cultures I already have. Once I receive all of my vault orders, I am going to be doing some massive (for me) brew trials with all of these yeasts to whittle this library down to my favorite 4 (definitely no more than 6).

I will be brewing half barrel batches of a bitters, mild, and porter/stout. Each batch will be fermented in 1 gallon wine jugs and fermented simultaneously with the same fermentation schedule.

So I will test at a minimum I will test 51 beers (3 different batches x 17 yeasts) that I will do taste testing. If need be I will be willing to do a second round on some "top performers" to further narrow my choices.

I have brewed with all of these save for the one's I am waiting for from the vault, WLP099 Super High Gravity, and WLP041 Pacific Ale.

Originally I was going to finish and carb each beer in a 1 gallon polypin to best mimic how I typically consume my UK ales (cask conditioned and served via gravity or hand pump). However recently I have not been getting good conditioning in my polypins, so I may just have to bottle. That is less than ideal because I feel that is inviting some other variables that could influence results.

Oh well... I will be finding out (relatively) soon enough. I will update once I am through with this "grand endeavour"!

*Disclaimer: I probably use 1469 90-95% of the time right now, so I will be curious to see how it will get "judged" by me (and a few close friends whose opinions I value) against so many other yeasts.

:mug:

So with the vault being emptied I have ordered the following to try on my UK brews:

I applaud your enthusiasm! That said, having been on the same path for 10+ years now, keep in mind that many of these yeasts don't showcase their full potential until 2-3 generations in. Klassic and Essex are prime examples of how the first generations are pretty meh, but produce some really terrific beer with excellent fermentation properties by gen 3-4.

WLP006 Bedford British Ale Yeast
WLP022 Essex Ale Yeast
WLP026 Premium Bitter Ale Yeast
WLP033 Klassic Ale Yeast
WLP076 Old Sonoma Ale Yeast

These will be added to the yeast bank I currently have for my UK beers:

WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
WLP007 Dry English Ale
WLP013 London Ale
WLP017 Whitbread
WLP023 Burton Ale
WLP037 Yorkshire Square
WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast
WLP099 Super High Gravity
Wy1469 West Yorkshire
Wy1318 London Ale III
Nottingham
Windsor

I have been waiting on some of those yeasts to open up for quite some time, all the while maintaining the cultures I already have. Once I receive all of my vault orders, I am going to be doing some massive (for me) brew trials with all of these yeasts to whittle this library down to my favorite 4 (definitely no more than 6).

I will be brewing half barrel batches of a bitters, mild, and porter/stout. Each batch will be fermented in 1 gallon wine jugs and fermented simultaneously with the same fermentation schedule.

So I will test at a minimum I will test 51 beers (3 different batches x 17 yeasts) that I will do taste testing. If need be I will be willing to do a second round on some "top performers" to further narrow my choices.

I have brewed with all of these save for the one's I am waiting for from the vault, WLP099 Super High Gravity, and WLP041 Pacific Ale.

Originally I was going to finish and carb each beer in a 1 gallon polypin to best mimic how I typically consume my UK ales (cask conditioned and served via gravity or hand pump). However recently I have not been getting good conditioning in my polypins, so I may just have to bottle. That is less than ideal because I feel that is inviting some other variables that could influence results.

Oh well... I will be finding out (relatively) soon enough. I will update once I am through with this "grand endeavour"!

*Disclaimer: I probably use 1469 90-95% of the time right now, so I will be curious to see how it will get "judged" by me (and a few close friends whose opinions I value) against so many other yeasts.

099 isn’t a vault yeast, is it? I buy and use it all the time.

@bierhaus15 that is good to know about Klassic and Essex. I will take that in to consideration when I brew with them. Any others on my list that I already have behave similarly? I have been using slants of those yeasts for years, but for most I am still now only approaching the end of gen 2.

As for my trials, I've used all the yeasts, and done split batches, but never at this scale-- I think trying them all with the same base beer and tasting them side-by-side is going to be my best course of action to find the one's that I want to most work with.

When I have selected my fave 4 (or maybe 6) I may still keep a few slants going of yeasts if they are more difficult to acquire.

My end goal is to find a handful of yeasts that give me the flavor profile, mouthfeel, attenuation, and flocculation I want for my UK brews. And from there, to also to pare down how large a yeast bank I am maintaining (because reality is, most don't get used that often).

@ong you are correct, WLP099 is a year round yeast-- that one is in my list of yeasts I already have banked in my own personal yeast bank that I use. That second big list is my own personal yeast bank. The short list with only five yeasts are the yeasts from the vault. I was just trying to say that once I receive all of my vault yeasts, I can finally do my yeast trials I have been wanting to do.

@cyberbackpacker Like your list and the goal. Please share your "yeast off" competition results to date and when you get thru the new guys. I like doing split batches, and need to have

Are you aware of https://beer.suregork.com/?p=4030 and the genome mapping project done in cooperation with White Labs? I an using this to help with my yeast vault selections, in order to pick strains that are further away than what I have. For example, according to suregork, WY1469 W Yorkshire is the same strain or nearly same strain as WLP022.

I am adding
WLP017 whitbread II (mainly because Barclay Perkins has a ton of Whitbread recipes I want to try)
WLP026 premium bitter (it's genome is in Beer2 category along with Yorkie Squares and some saisons. So, want to give it a shot as it's far from all my other yeasties)
WLP013 London Ale given the description of estery with oak overtones (although this looks mighty close to S-04)

I have these English in the bank:
WLP02
Pub (supposedly the same strain as 02, but in a couple of blind yeast offs, I prefer Pub to 02)
WLP85 (one of my favs, blend of 02 and 06? 13? and drier than 02)
Notty (this is probably my "if you could only use one yeast for the rest of your life" yeast, can use for cider, cyser, Irish, Boddington, etc)
Windsor
W Yorkie WY1469 (pretty good one)
Yorkie Squares WLP37 (surrendered. This is beyond my brewing ability)
Burton Ale Yeast WLP23. (loses in yeast offs)
British Ale II Adnan's WY1335/WLP25 (this has won a couple of yeast offs)
Irish WLP04 (pretty good and wins yeast offs for dry stouts)
S-04

I brew low gravity beers. Usually 1032 or lower. A 1040 is a big beer to me. :)
02/Pub is great for low alcohol, but seems a tad "sweet" for me. 85 is not quite so low alcohol.
WLP11 European is on order. It has the same low attenuation as 02, so will be trying this to narrow down which is my low attenuation yeast.

Net net, my preferred English yeasts in no particular order are Pub, 85, W Yorkie, Adnan's & Notty.

@cyberbackpacker Like your list and the goal. Please share your "yeast off" competition results to date and when you get thru the new guys. I like doing split batches, and need to have

Are you aware of https://beer.suregork.com/?p=4030 and the genome mapping project done in cooperation with White Labs? I an using this to help with my yeast vault selections, in order to pick strains that are further away than what I have. For example, according to suregork, WY1469 W Yorkshire is the same strain or nearly same strain as WLP022.

I am adding
WLP017 whitbread II (mainly because Barclay Perkins has a ton of Whitbread recipes I want to try)
WLP026 premium bitter (it's genome is in Beer2 category along with Yorkie Squares and some saisons. So, want to give it a shot as it's far from all my other yeasties)
WLP013 London Ale given the description of estery with oak overtones (although this looks mighty close to S-04)

I have these English in the bank:
WLP02
Pub (supposedly the same strain as 02, but in a couple of blind yeast offs, I prefer Pub to 02)
WLP85 (one of my favs, blend of 02 and 06? 13? and drier than 02)
Notty (this is probably my "if you could only use one yeast for the rest of your life" yeast, can use for cider, cyser, Irish, Boddington, etc)
Windsor
W Yorkie WY1469 (pretty good one)
Yorkie Squares WLP37 (surrendered. This is beyond my brewing ability)
Burton Ale Yeast WLP23. (loses in yeast offs)
Irish WLP04 (pretty good and wins yeast offs for dry stouts)
S-04

I brew low gravity beers. Usually 1032 or lower. A 1040 is a big beer to me. :)
02/Pub is great for low alcohol, but seems a tad "sweet" for me. 85 is not quite so low alcohol.
WLP11 European is on order. It has the same low attenuation as 02, so will be trying this to narrow down which is my low attenuation yeast.

Net net, my preferred English yeasts in no particular order are Pub, 85, W Yorkie, Adnan's & Notty.
From what you've wrote, you are brewing exactly the styles I like and I also try to keep them below 1.03. pub is also my personal favourite and notty is also ranking pretty high in my ranks.

I just want that extreme with my testing, didn't check many liquid yeasts, so thanks for the new ideas, I will certainly check your favourites.

@kmarkstevens I am aware of suregork's work and was comparing to see what I should order from the vault; somehow I missed the fact that 1469 and wlp022 are literally right next to each other! That said, in the past I have experienced different results between white labs and wyeast even though they are the "same" strain. If not, it's already ordered so I'll just have more!

As for my previous yeast offs, as I said above, I use 1469 all the time these days; it isn't a perfect yeast, but performs consistently, and gives me results I am very happy with.

Thoughts off the top of my head (without looking at my notes) on my other "yeast-offs"

WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast- like you found, really nice in stouts/porters-- I also have used it in scottish shilling ales and even mild
WLP007 Dry English Ale- okay but not my fave
WLP013 London Ale- want to like, but has lost vs. some of my other faves
WLP017 Whitbread- I haven't done a "yeast-off" with this strain, but always thought it produced a nice beer
WLP023 Burton Ale-- for me this one is hit and miss; I wonder if as @bierhaus15 suggested, this might be a strain that does better after a few generations
WLP037 Yorkshire Square-- I have always pitched a vitality started with some boiled and cooled first runnings to get the yeast active, and then oxygenate my wort with a strong dose of pure O2. That said, I am curious now if this might be better after a few generations.
WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast-- one of my faves
WLP099 Super High Gravity-- another one that has won, but I need to brew with it more. Have had good success with not oxygenating as much as some other strains
Wy1469 West Yorkshire-- best overall performer for me
Wy1318 London Ale III- one of my favorites
Nottingham- typically co-pitch with windsor when I am brewing last minute and haven't prepped any other yeast
Windsor- see above

To
@cyberbackpacker Interesting. Please continue to share. I hadn't thought of a notty Windsor blend but that might be pretty interesting. I do have a Notty Sake #9 blend for cysers that works well if you can get past the first two 2 weeks of puke overtones that the sake produces.

1469 W Yorkie was introduced to me by a brew pub professional at Ecclectic brewing, and said it's his "if I had to pick a single yeast for the rest of my life yeast." It certainly holds its own in my first few tries.

Jamil podcast can you brew it Black Sheep Riggwelter ended up with the requirement that it had to be 1469 to clone.

to add,
London III to me is flat, dull, and disappointing. It sure as **** ain't the Boddington strain. Disappointed in about a half dozen beers.

CBC is another one that went into my recycle bin. It comes out with a saisony type sour bite. first time I kinda liked it, but thereafter was distracting

@kmarkstevens I will do so.

As for London III-- for me it has done well in milds where I am using 1-1 1/3 pounds (5g batch) of dark invert. That is primarily where I have used and enjoyed it.

Although I did a bitters with about 1 pound of invert #1, 1 1/2 pound of flaked maize, 1/2 pound torrified wheat, and the remainder a cocktail of GP, MO, and Chevallier (remainders of sacks I had). Came in at 1.044 and 1.009 and I found it quite "moreish" as they say.

I have never used CBC, but good to know. I have seen several people say they enjoy Pub, so I may have to throw that in the mix. And the fact you like the Adnams strain has me considering ordering it from the Vault.

But I will share as I go through my trials. Probably won't be until the fall, but I will report back.

@cyberbackpacker I haven't used WLP041, but supposedly* it's from the Red Hook Brewery (which is in my backyard these days, and I have enjoyed their brewski's since the 1990's). Please share why you like this one? deciding if I need to add to my library. If I understand suregork correctly, WLP02, WLP07, WLP30 and WLP41 are all from the same branch.

*S-04 was supposedly Whitbread, but suregork disproves that assertation. Likewise, brewing cannon has London III as the Boddington's strain, but both geographically and taste wise, that seems to be a stretch. Northern Brewer has a pretty good take down partway down this page: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...r-london-ale-iii-aka-boddintons-yeast.654324/

@cyberbackpacker

02/Pub is great for low alcohol, but seems a tad "sweet" for me.

You just have to look at the attenuation to see that 1335 and WLP025 are not the same yeast - _if_ they both come from AdnaMs then they may represent the two halves of the multistrain.

If 002 is coming off too sweet then you need to look at your recipe (% simple sugar) or mash temperatures, or at the very least rouse it once in a while.

If 002 is coming off too sweet then you need to look at your recipe (% simple sugar) or mash temperatures, or at the very least rouse it once in a while.

Agree, 002 can get pretty "lazy" in my experience. Recipe formulation and mash temps are certainly something to think about, but rousing it helps as does raising the temp a couple degrees toward the end of fermentation.

I've only done 20+ batches and only now get hit on the head with the blindingly obvious. Ya, I mashed all of those 20+ real high at say 158-160F. So, taking a note to drop the mash temp, add some invert, rouse this little buggers at the end and actually use my hydrometer.

NB - as always, appreciate your words of wisdom.

Agree, 002 can get pretty "lazy" in my experience. Recipe formulation and mash temps are certainly something to think about, but rousing it helps as does raising the temp a couple degrees toward the end of fermentation.

But doing that will encourage the yeast to clean up too much, which is not what you want for a British beer, it's better to let it free-rise initially and then keep it on the cool side. See this thread : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...emps-and-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts.221817/

Don't obsess too much about attenuation though - attenuation <75% is a feature not a bug for many British beers with some exceptions.

I've only done 20+ batches and only now get hit on the head with the blindingly obvious. Ya, I mashed all of those 20+ real high at say 158-160F. So, taking a note to drop the mash temp, add some invert, rouse this little buggers at the end and actually use my hydrometer.

Perhaps the most common mistake that North American brewers seem to make is going way too heavy on the crystal. Fuller's use 7.2% crystal and no sugar, and personally that's about as high as I'd want to go for my taste - on the rare occasions I make a southern-style bitter I use about 6% crystal with no sugar and a spit of chocolate malt. But up north it would be more like half that if no sugar was used, or even no crystal at all.

But doing that will encourage the yeast to clean up too much, which is not what you want for a British beer, it's better to let it free-rise initially and then keep it on the cool side. See this thread : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...emps-and-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts.221817/

Don't obsess too much about attenuation though - attenuation <75% is a feature not a bug for many British beers with some exceptions.

Interesting, I'll have to work my way through that. I always had some of what I considered typical English yeast character, but I suppose it could have been more. Mostly I got tired of beers saying they were done, only to be over carbed when I bottle conditioned to 1.5 volumes. At that time I was also using invert and often mashing under 150F. So, attenuation percentage isn't the goal I was looking for, just to make sure it was actually finished before going through the bottling process.

I got tired of beers saying they were done, only to be over carbed when I bottle conditioned to 1.5 volumes.

Maybe you need to listen to them more carefully. ;) Some of that is just experience and knowing your yeast - Windsor seems to have a bit of a reputation for slowly chomping away like that - and adjusting your carbonation accordingly. Personally I aim a bit higher than that for eg bitter in bottles - maybe 1.7vol for 500ml bottles and 1.8vol for 330ml bottles seems to come about "right", as you lose a bit of carbonation in a bottle relative to the One True Serve in cask.

Edit - if you're having problems with the heavy floccers like 002, then rousing is what you're missing.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know how much more carefully to listen to them when 2 or 3 hydrometer readings, several days apart that are consistent, it looked done, and was certainly within an acceptable range. I did start rousing and it basically did the trick. I moved to 007 and also found it a bit less finicky while still producing good results. As far as carb I often did it a bit lower because I was packaging some into polypins as well, and couldn't be bothered priming individual units. I'll have to try 1.7 next time I'm bottling a whole batch.

One of these days I'm going to get a cask and beer engine. Just have to convince the wife that I need it as well as a two tap kegerator :rolleyes:

After some problems with inconsistent bottle carbing I've got into the habit of making up sugar solution and pipetting it into each bottle - it's not that tedious given the general tedium of bottling...

Even CAMRA use gravity at many of their festivals, including their flagship GBBF - but the northern ones tend to make a point of using dozens of handpulls which is quite a sight to behold (but a PITA from a plumbing POV!).

Going to be brewing a London Pride clone tomorrow-- although I'll be using 1469 as I have some ready to pitch.

Inspired by picking up this beauty of a sign today... found it on Facebook marketplace and it was just a few blocks from the house amazingly!

full

Going to be brewing a London Pride clone tomorrow-- although I'll be using 1469 as I have some ready to pitch.

Inspired by picking up this beauty of a sign today... found it on Facebook marketplace and it was just a few blocks from the house amazingly!

full
If you want it authentic, I would recommend Imperial yeast pub next time, this one really got the Fuller's flavour if you ask me. Others here in the forum have also confirmed this from their brews.

Nice sign btw!

@Northern_Brewer I have indeed seen that thread; that is how I built my recipe.

@Miraculix thanks for the suggestion on Imperial Pub. This was a super last minute brew, so I am using what I have ready and available! But that will be good to know for future batches!

Nevertheless, just wrapping up the brew... came in at 1.043; was shooting for 1.042 so I am happy with that!

@Northern_Brewer I have indeed seen that thread; that is how I built my recipe.

@Miraculix thanks for the suggestion on Imperial Pub. This was a super last minute brew, so I am using what I have ready and available! But that will be good to know for future batches!

Nevertheless, just wrapping up the brew... came in at 1.043; was shooting for 1.042 so I am happy with that!

I brewed a 1.026 low gravity ale two days ago, same approach, trying to use what's on hand and had 04 and Windsor so I used a third 04 and two thirds Windsor. Let's see how that goes. Otherwise I would have loved pub in this one for sure. Actually, I think I would love this yeast in almost everything.

To continue the Fuller's trend. I believe many of us in this thread also, at least occasionally, enjoy Ron Pattinson's Shut Up About Barclay Perkins. It was recently my birthday and my eldest took the hint and gifted me a Ron's birthday recipe. I requested a low ABV yet hoppy beer, and Ron went back to 1925 to dig out what looks to be a lovely sessionable Fuller's 1.032 OG 43 IBU "AK" from a parti-gyle (PA > XK > AK) brewed on that day. Very nice write up and photos from the brewing log. I've got a "Pub" yeast starter going strong, and will run by the local HBS in the morning for a Saturday brew.

Here's a link to a Fuller's AK search, and a somewhat similar "XK" (albeit a 1041 OG) recipe from 1923.

@cyberbackpacker @Miraculix I've never been to the UK nor had a real cask ale Fullers, so I can't speak directly to an authentic Fuller's taste. That said, I've done several yeast off split batches between 02 and Pub, and I prefer the "Pub" version every time for what that is worth. forgot how much it flocculates. Looks like a snow globe on steroids on the stir plate

Last edited:
To continue the Fuller's trend. I believe many of us in this thread also, at least occasionally, enjoy Ron Pattinson's Shut Up About Barclay Perkins. It was recently my birthday and my eldest took the hint and gifted me a Ron's birthday recipe. I requested a low ABV yet hoppy beer, and Ron went back to 1925 to dig out what looks to be a lovely sessionable Fuller's 1.032 OG 43 IBU "AK" from a parti-gyle (PA > XK > AK) brewed on that day. Very nice write up and photos from the brewing log. I've got a "Pub" yeast starter going strong, and will run by the local HBS in the morning for a Saturday brew.

Here's a link to a Fuller's AK search, and a somewhat similar "XK" (albeit a 1041 OG) recipe from 1923.

@cyberbackpacker @Miraculix I've never been to the UK nor had a real cask ale Fullers, so I can't speak directly to an authentic Fuller's taste. That said, I've done several yeast off split batches between 02 and Pub, and I prefer the "Pub" version every time for what that is worth. forgot how much it flocculates. Looks like a snow globe on steroids on the stir plate
Yes, it's the only yeast I ever saw flocking in the glass leaving s clear beer after a few minutes, after being poured from a bottle that got shaken a bit.

Fullers ESB Clone!
My first attempt and really good! My next batch going to cut the choc from 1.4% to 1% to see if I can lighten a tad. Hell probably should just remove completely.

IMG_6502.JPG

Fullers ESB Clone!
My first attempt and really good! My next batch going to cut the choc from 1.4% to 1% to see if I can lighten a tad. Hell probably should just remove completely.

I've posted a link above to actual Fuller's brewing records which say they use just under 0.2% - why are you trying to guess it?

And as an aside, it's a common mistake to try and use "flavour" ingredients to try and match the colour of British beers. Concentrate on getting the flavour right, and then use "colour" ingredients like caramel to hit the colour if necessary, otherwise you end up with a beer that looks right but tastes wrong.

Northern Brewer Actually had a brain fart! My actual ESB recipe came in 1.4oz of choc malt which put me at 0.7%. I am going to back it down a little to .2%.

Forgive me but couldn’t find the recipe you shared?

I came across an article on Ragus and their brewing sugars which may be of interest :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...ff-alworths-method.628857/page-2#post-8634153

As of 2015 brewing sugar accounted for just 6% of turnover (and just 2% is solid blocks), down from 25% a generation ago, it sounds like it doesn't really make them much money but they feel an obligation to keep making brewing inverts for heritage reasons.

Latest posts

Back