English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have much experience with Imperial Malt? I've got it at 15% in a West Coast DIPA at the moment (yes, yes, I know, not British, humour me) instead of using Munich II and T50 Crystal. Rest of the grain bill is 52% GP, 25% pilsner and 8% invert.

I was attracted as I thought the dry sweetness (described as honey/plum) would play pretty well with the Centennial, Amarillo and Mosaic but now I'm wondering if it'll be a bit too much.

@Miraculix has used it a bit if I don't remember wrong.

I clamped the lid down on a 1890's Truman Runner(porter) inspired brew a few hours ago, the krausen had receded a bit compared to this photo from yesterday though. Brewed and pitched last sunday after-noon.

Attachments

• IMG-20230412-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230412-WA0002.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 0
I currently have a brew with 93% of the German Chevallier that I still have some leftovers of and 7% Pale Chocolate Malt, trying to aim for a Brown Ale sort of thing. Hopping with Fuggles according to the hop schedule of the Five Point Best Bitter, I hope that this will be a beer far from the ordinary. Kräusen Bram was gone within two days, so seems to be a rather quick fermentation.

Oh and this will be the first try using Simpsons darker brown malt.
The grains had that typical, slightly burned bread-crust type brown malt flavour, just a bit more pronounced.
I am starting to think brown malt might have been a bit darker back in the day, even after the introduction of the drum roaster.

@Miraculix has used it a bit if I don't remember wrong.

I clamped the lid down on a 1890's Truman Runner(porter) inspired brew a few hours ago, the krausen had receded a bit compared to this photo from yesterday though. Brewed and pitched last sunday after-noon.
Correct!

I've used it on a porter at 50%, other half chevallier and a dash of black malt.

IT IS SOOOOO GOOOOD!!!

I wanna brew a 100% Imperial lower og beer soon, kind of best bitter strength. This plus 20-25 ibus should be great.

Think of Imperial malt as all the goodness from brown malt without any of the possible downsides.

Off English ales slightly but brewing an Altbier at the moment using Wyeast1007, top fermenting wonderful yeast head on it.
Now is that Barm or krausen as it's German?? over to you
Pretty sure that's barm, except if you'd like to write your whole post in German? ;-)

I did not put that part in quotation marks, so you failed ;-)

@Erik the Anglophile The sentence was correct, but the word is Kräusen, not Kreuzen.
The whole sentence has a metaphoric meaning in English, which it does not have in German.

Closest would be something like "mein Kräusen ruft die ganzen Jungs auf den Plan!", But it doesn't really nail it....

Just to add some random German phrases that do not make any sense in English but are actually a thing in German:

I think my pig whistles!

He doesn't have all cups in the cupboard.

Now we have the salad.

Such a juice shop.

Nobody can hand us the water.

And last but not least:

That's not my beer. (Meaning, this doesn't concern me.)

The beauty of the German language.

It puts the crown on the whole thing.

If you don't get it, you're looking stupidly out of the laundry!

But maybe you just do have nothing at your hat with it in general.

We have a saying that someone doesn't have all the indians in the canoe, or that the elevator does not go all the way up.
The English equivalent is being several sandwiches short of a picnic (and variations thereof)

The act of getting drunk can sometimes be referred to as "going into the mist".
Hmm - where to begin on English words for drunk, it's like Eskimo words for snow!

Talking of comparisons between languages, this is a nice interview with Jorge Luis Borges on the differences :

The English equivalent is being several sandwiches short of a picnic (and variations thereof)

Hmm - where to begin on English words for drunk, it's like Eskimo words for snow!

Talking of comparisons between languages, this is a nice interview with Jorge Luis Borges on the differences :

My favourite English expression for getting drunk is to get shitfaced.

Let's get shitfaced tomorrow night.

I love it.

My favourite English expression for getting drunk is to get shitfaced.
Of course a German would favour a compound word...

I like the milder ones like tipsy - which you've had maybe 3 pints (of 4%) and are just starting to feel it a bit, but also works as a euphemism for being full-on wankered/plastered/bladdered etc. And then there's the really archaic ones where the references no longer work, like blotto (as in having absorbed liquid like blotting paper, except nobody uses ink pens any more), and three sheets to the wind (when a sailing ship has lost control of its sails).

Then there's rhyming slang, as embodied in the side rooms of the glorious Philharmonic Dining Rooms in Liverpool.

1681406012969.png

There are local words as well (of course), for a long while "Kramered" was common here in MN, after a Vikings quarterback that was habitually arrested for drunk driving.

Beer Question!

I've been making a "bitter" with EKG and First Gold hops. I've been tinkering with the malts, trying to get rid of an "earthy" flavor I do not like. I'm starting to think it's one or both of the hops. I have been here before with this subject but the question was different.

I'd like to get an orange marmalade flavor, but that's probably not going to happen. Citrus or berry work for me. Fruity, floral might as well. Could I please get a recommendation on a hop, or hop combo, to try? It could include EKG or First Gold if you don't think one or both are the "earthy" culprits. I don't have either on hand to sniff test a bag.

I'd like to stick with an English variety. No citra or Mosaic or anything for this.

OK! I've had it hammered in my head they are floral, citruisy, but not earthy. I've used them in a porter a ton of times and never noticed it there either. But then again, porters are so much more malty it probably blended right in or got covered up altogether.

I'll certainly drop them and see.

OK! I've had it hammered in my head they are floral, citruisy, but not earthy. I've used them in a porter a ton of times and never noticed it there either. But then again, porters are so much more malty it probably blended right in or got covered up altogether.

I'll certainly drop them and see.
Try phoenix in your porter, compliments the dark grains well.

Availability is an issue. I've found 1 Bramlinig Cross vendor in the US, and their order page and customer service page both are broken. I'll keep trying. Phoenix doesn't look too popular either.

I'd like to get an orange marmalade flavor, but that's probably not going to happen.
Marmalade should come largely from the Fuller's yeast. I find the Imperial Yeast "Pub" fullers strain to be superior to WLP002 or the Wyeast equivalent. (I have a fuller's cultured from the bottle, but haven't brewed with it yet.)

First Gold also has a description for Marmalade.

@Northern_Brewer Can you flesh out the marmalade flavor in more detail please?

Marmalade should come largely from the Fuller's yeast. I find the Imperial Yeast "Pub" fullers strain to be superior to WLP002 or the Wyeast equivalent. (I have a fuller's cultured from the bottle, but haven't brewed with it yet.)

First Gold also has a description for Marmalade.

@Northern_Brewer Can you flesh out the marmalade flavor in more detail please?
First Gold is usually how I get my marmalade into my British beers, it's my favourite Brit hop by a mile. Love the stuff.

Latest posts

Back