E-Herms Beginner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dloucks

Reaction score
Ok, I know I'm overlooking this, and I've used the search function tirelessly and could probably find my answer in video format if I wasn't stuck on slow internet.

When using an electric HERMs, after your mash is over, and you want to mash out and begin the sparge, what is the process?

I guess my confusion is that you are holding the HLT at a temp that ensures you have a proper mash temp, but then when you are ready to mash out you want to up the mash temp quickly, how is this accomplished if your HLT is holding a temp that is maintaining, say 155 degrees?

Or am I looking at this wrong, do you step-up the temperature of the mash through the recirculation of the wort, PRIOR to taking your first runnings? Then use the ~170ish degree HLT water to sparge with?

Maybe I'm stuck in a "batch sparge" state of mind and that is what is messing up my logic here.

Again all apologies as I'm sure another hour or so of searching and I would have found my answer.

Just dug up a nearly 2 year old post from Kal that answered all my questions. Sorry for the wasted post.

It's funny I searched all day today while building my system in my head, and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. It wasn't until I actually typed out the question to post that i figured out exactly the phrasing I should be searching for.

Thanks
Dave

If you want to use a HERMS to step mash, consider a stand alone heat exchanger, rather than using your HLT. My heat exchanger is a 2 gallon cooler with a 1500 watt element. I can much more quickly change the temp of the HEX in 2 gallons of water than 5 or more in an HLT.

If you want to use a HERMS to step mash, consider a stand alone heat exchanger, rather than using your HLT. My heat exchanger is a 2 gallon cooler with a 1500 watt element. I can much more quickly change the temp of the HEX in 2 gallons of water than 5 or more in an HLT.

While I'm not in a rush to do a stepped mash, it is definitely on my list for the future. My "system" that I've mentally constructed over the last 24 hours involves 3 keggles (I've already have these in my possession, however two of them are being used a giant primaries), a pair of PID's, SSR's and 5500w elements, as well as two pumps (already have these as well). I figure the 5500w HEX will step-up a mash pretty quickly, especially on a 5g batch.

Back