Issues calibrating Inkbird ITC106VH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_SA

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've got a very annoying issue going on with one of my PID's. I've got a 3 vessel herms system with 3 Inkbird ITC106VH PID's

The issue is with the PID that is linked to my mash tun. The mash tun PID isn't hooked up to any SSR's and elements. It just takes a temp reading from a probe that is situated just before the wort goes back into the mash tun after exiting the herms coil in the HLT. Probes are PT100

The PID for the mash tun just cannot maintain its calibration. It goes all over the place from time to time. Usually by a couple degrees C. For instance sometimes if I switch the panel off and on again the reading is different. Sometimes by a lot. Also sometimes if I try and calibrate it when I press and hold the "Set" button to get into settings the temp immediately jumps by a couple degrees C, just by pressing the set button??

The temps don't swing if I don't interfere with the PID. It just goes off its set calibration from time to time and as I say, when I press buttons on the PID it goes all over the place.

Should I be tuning this PID in any particular way even though it doesn't have any elements connected to it? Is there some other issue at play? It doesn't seem like wiring is the issue cause when I don't interfere with the PID it's temps are steady, but often wrong by a few degrees. Leading to me to try calibrate it and then it goes all over the place. The issue is related to one PID although I must say that sometimes when I press buttons on my HLT PID it also tends to change reading by 0.1 or 0.2 C randomly.

Any possible reasons for this?

Few question
Have you updated your input probe type to Pt100 in the settings? Default value is K type thermocouple.
Have you ensured continuity on all (3) lines of the Pt100 sensor? This almost sounds like a loose connection.
Have you tried hooking up another Pt100 to the controller to figure out if the issue is the sensor or the Inkbird?

It's probably the connector. I had a similar problem and soldered on a new one. I have the same PIDs probably the same probes. My probe is on the exit port though. When the wire is not connected, there is little black cap that goes over the port. Can't say I always cover it when spraying down the disconnected mash tun. Also, the little pins inside I think loosen up the female port which is on the wire itself that runs back to the panel. That's what I replaced. Yours could be different as they make different connection fittings. Mine was the cheapest as I bought it myself but I was able to find just the fitting to solder on. You might be able to just jiggle the connector to see the numbers change. I don't think I saw that but I knew sometimes it was off a lot and I thought for a while there was gunk in there. Drove me nuts! I have a dial thermometer installed on the mash tun, plus a digital thermometer but they can all be a little different at times and need calibration as well.

You could just connect your HLT wire to your mash tun and see how it behaves. Hooking your Mash tun wire to your HLT may or may not show effects as the connector could fit those pins a little better.

Back