E-Brewing video series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-Brewing Video Series

• Yes do it.

• Nah don't bother

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looking forward to this as well. I've got the nuts and bolts of how to put it together, just seeing someone wire one from start to finish would be a great comfort and resource as I put my long delayed panel together.

And then this happened!! Long time coming...

https://youtu.be/86L_GWFkeXw

Electric Brewing Series Announcement.00_00_00_21.Still001.jpg

Subscribed to the YouTube channel. This is going to be so helpful to me. I've been eyeing up this kit for a while but have been hesitant with the wiring myself.

Subscribed to the YouTube channel. This is going to be so helpful to me. I've been eyeing up this kit for a while but have been hesitant with the wiring myself.

Cool! Glad to have you should be fun. Looking to start putting out the videos end of this month first part of next.
Cheers! 🍻

Thanks! Already shot and in post production in the next one.. Lots more worrying than the first one.. Cheers! 🍻 New video every Monday until it is done.

Really sweet work again Brian! I don't know if people appreciate this, but you clearly put a lot of work into proper capture and production. The lighting, audio, and scripting are really top notch. Congrats and keep up the great (and no doubt laborious) work!

Really sweet work again Brian! I don't know if people appreciate this, but you clearly put a lot of work into proper capture and production. The lighting, audio, and scripting are really top notch. Congrats and keep up the great (and no doubt laborious) work!

Thanks!! It is a lot of work! Once this one is done, I think it will be time to do an automated panel for myself!! Know anyone that has any knowledge of a good reliable automated brewing solution??

Cheers!!
Brian

My hat is off to you, that was a huge endeavor to take the time to document the complete wiring process. This will help countless brewers out there looking to take the plunge into building this kind of system! Your the man! :mug:

John

My hat is off to you, that was a huge endeavor to take the time to document the complete wiring process. This will help countless brewers out there looking to take the plunge into building this kind of system! Your the man! :mug:

John

Thanks!! I have had several comments on how easy it looks.. And really it is pretty easy of you take your time and tackle it a little at a time..🍻

Doug293cz, I started a conversation with you. I'm not sure if notifications are sent for that.

Glad I found you on YouTube. I have an automated system (dead) that has most of the components. I run 20 gallon system (3 pots) to yield 12 gallons for my Blichman 14 gallon conicals (been brewing since '91). Anyway I want to gut my system changing it to PID control (I run HERMS exclusively). I cannot seem to get to the schematic/electrical drawing to print it, and I noticed that your HERMS parts list only has two of the PID units listed. Thanks for all the work and links for surportive purchasing, I will do that as soon as I finish my buy list.

Glad I found you on YouTube. I have an automated system (dead) that has most of the components. I run 20 gallon system (3 pots) to yield 12 gallons for my Blichman 14 gallon conicals (been brewing since '91). Anyway I want to gut my system changing it to PID control (I run HERMS exclusively). I cannot seem to get to the schematic/electrical drawing to print it, and I noticed that your HERMS parts list only has two of the PID units listed. Thanks for all the work and links for surportive purchasing, I will do that as soon as I finish my buy list.

There is a 3 PID diagram in this post in his thread (post# 58)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/e-brewing-video-series.597915/page-2#post-7946733

Great video series.

Would you or Doug have an Australian 240V version of this circuit diagram?
Don't have an Aussie (or European) version of this yet, but might be able to get one done over the next few days. I won't call out plug/receptacle types, since I am not familiar with what's used in Australia. Do you happen to know what typical breaker sizes are in the 20 - 60 amp range?

Brew on :mug:

Don't have an Aussie (or European) version of this yet, but might be able to get one done over the next few days. I won't call out plug/receptacle types, since I am not familiar with what's used in Australia. Do you happen to know what typical breaker sizes are in the 20 - 60 amp range?

Doug
That would be much appreciated. Breakers usually come in 10, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 63 Amps here.

I am checking out the different designs for control boxes and I want to keep it simple since I only plan on using one heating element and one pump. The only problem I am running into is that my 240v 30A GFCI circuit is 3 wire. In your schematics, I see you have a 4 wire setup and can use one hot and one neutral to get 120V to power the pump and the SSR. In short, am I screwed? I do have a separate circuit that is 120 nearby, but it would mean I would have to run two different power inputs into the box that I would like to avoid, if possible. What are my options? Thanks in advance!

Just on the plug types. Here in Aus we typically use three pin plugs, the three pins being live, neutral and earth. It's ok about not determining the plug size/type etc as I have a sparky mate that can help on that as well as check the final build. Thanks

I am checking out the different designs for control boxes and I want to keep it simple since I only plan on using one heating element and one pump. The only problem I am running into is that my 240v 30A GFCI circuit is 3 wire. In your schematics, I see you have a 4 wire setup and can use one hot and one neutral to get 120V to power the pump and the SSR. In short, am I screwed? I do have a separate circuit that is 120 nearby, but it would mean I would have to run two different power inputs into the box that I would like to avoid, if possible. What are my options? Thanks in advance!

If you don't want do mess with any wiring, you can use a 240v pump or use the cheap solar dc pumps with a ac 240v to dc 24v power supply. You can use any component you want just make sure its able to handle 220 volts. I have been using the solar pumps for years with out problems. They work great and are cheap, they just don't like to be dropped. Chugger makes a 240 pump or you can get one off aliexpress if you would like a little more pumping ability or the stainless heads.

Here's an example of dc power supply if you want to use the solar pumps, just quick searches might be cheaper elsewhere:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078RYWZMH/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V...hash=item1ca57e0e84:m:m-7SmGH8D0p7tpSGwv5uVIg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back