E-Brewing video series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-Brewing Video Series

• Yes do it.

• Nah don't bother

Results are only viewable after voting.

highland_brewer

Short Circuited Brewers
Reaction score
I have had quite a few different questions on my system, both here and on my youtube channel. I have been contemplating doing a complete video series on E-brewing. There are quite a few bits and pieces here and there. I am wanting to consolidate everything into one series of videos that anyone could watch and get some education on what E-brewing is. I am not the foremost authority on it, I would have to give that to Kal, He is the one that inspired my entire journey into E-brewing. Before I get start I wanted to see if there is any interest in such a thing.

I am making a poll on this thread. Also please comment if there is any particular area you would like me to cover. My plans is to try to cover everything I know, and have learned about the subject.

Look forward to hearing from all of you.

The people have spoken...

COMING SOON!!!

Thumbnail.jpg

Thanks! Already working on the series... got the the first episode shot yesterday.. now on to editing.. :D

Well done! Excellent overview/primer.

If I may... two small comments...

1. I think make-up air for electric systems is just as important in terms of volume in/out. Most fans are high volume, and if you dont replace that air locally, it will come from elsewhere in your home. For those times where your HVAC system is maintaining home temp, it will be working extra.
2. The magnetic coupling in magnetically driven pumps does not decouple when you close off the flow and it is not really the reason it is there. It is there to decouple in the event of a stuck impeller from a foreign particle. A decoupled impeller requires the motor to stop before becoming recoupled.

Keep up the great stuff!

Watched the first video of the new series...very well done!

Question: during the series will you be showing how your HERMS systems works...what I mean is discussing how much water you put in the HLT for mash in and recirculating...how much you get out of the mash tun into the BK...essentially process of the brew day and maybe how people new to the HERMS system can figure out their numbers?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Well done! Excellent overview/primer.

If I may... two small comments...

1. I think make-up air for electric systems is just as important in terms of volume in/out. Most fans are high volume, and if you dont replace that air locally, it will come from elsewhere in your home. For those times where your HVAC system is maintaining home temp, it will be working extra.
2. The magnetic coupling in magnetically driven pumps does not decouple when you close off the flow and it is not really the reason it is there. It is there to decouple in the event of a stuck impeller from a foreign particle. A decoupled impeller requires the motor to stop before becoming recoupled.

Keep up the great stuff!

Thanks for the feedback... I had a pretty hard time trying to shorten the explanations on most of the topics. I felt like my explanation of the mag pumps was a little incorrect after going back and watching it. There will be more to come so I can address some of those issues. GREAT system of yours BTW checked it out recently. You are right about the make up air. I will cover that detail in a future episode, maybe in a ventilation episode. I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

CHEERS!
-Brian

Watched the first video of the new series...very well done!

Question: during the series will you be showing how your HERMS systems works...what I mean is discussing how much water you put in the HLT for mash in and recirculating...how much you get out of the mash tun into the BK...essentially process of the brew day and maybe how people new to the HERMS system can figure out their numbers?

Cheers!

YES! I plan to got through a complete brew day from start to finish. With explanations along the way including how to measure your volume in the herms coil etc. I have a couple of different ways you can use the Herms setup (for the initial mash in) and I will try to go through a couple along the way.

Thanks for the feedback!

CHEERS!
-Brian.

YES! I plan to got through a complete brew day from start to finish. With explanations along the way including how to measure your volume in the herms coil etc. I have a couple of different ways you can use the Herms setup (for the initial mash in) and I will try to go through a couple along the way.

Thanks for the feedback!

CHEERS!

-Brian.

Excellent! Very much looking forward to the rest of the series Brian!

Cheers!

Sammy

2. The magnetic coupling in magnetically driven pumps does not decouple when you close off the flow and it is not really the reason it is there. It is there to decouple in the event of a stuck impeller from a foreign particle.

My understanding is that mag drive pumps are used because they don't have seals. It's why they're used in food grade applications. The driver can be completely isolated from the impeller without needing to use barrier/seal fluids that can contaminate the pumped fluid.

Decoupling due to a foreign particle is an added bonus for sure!

Not trying to poo poo your point. Was just a little contradictory to my understanding.

My understanding is that mag drive pumps are used because they don't have seals. It's why they're used in food grade applications. The driver can be completely isolated from the impeller without needing to use barrier/seal fluids that can contaminate the pumped fluid.

Not trying to poo poo your point. Was just a little contradictory to my understanding.

Nope you are 100% correct you ever have one of those times when you know what you're trying to say but it doesn't come out right that was one of those times I'm going to fix it in a future episode

Yes, you are absolutely right - the reason for the magnet is for the seal-less function. Of course it's silly to do this for food-grade application when that same pump head has threaded connections, but hey what the heck!

I was responding to the OP's video about the magnet design allowing the flow to be throttled down, but should have added that point.

Yes, you are absolutely right - the reason for the magnet is for the seal-less function. Of course it's silly to do this for food-grade application when that same pump head has threaded connections, but hey what the heck!

I was responding to the OP's video about the magnet design allowing the flow to be throttled down, but should have added that point.

IMHO threaded connections are much less of an issue than pump shaft seals. All shaft seals will eventually leak, and who knows what might grow in them. And, threaded connections are much easier to clean periodically than shaft seals.

Brew on :mug:

Some intentionally leak. But some are very good at sealing without buildup.

Anyway, fair enough. I'm just saying, they might claim food friendly, but threads eliminate that.

Honestly what we need is an open standard foor interconnect on a smaller scale. Like TC but smaller and more approachable for us HB's. I think camlocks are pretty good but would be better with the gasket more accessible for cleaning.

Ok, Part 2 of the series is up. Thanks to @doug293cz for the diagram!!

Electric Brewing Series Part 2 E-BIAB

The 2nd part of the series focuses on a simple E-BIAB system.

Let me know if I missed something. Let me know where I should go with the series next.

Cheers!

Brian

Nice job on the video. I like the way you animated the circuit diagram.

Great job on another video!! Well done, accurate and to the point! The animation was super cool.

One quick point, I would suggest SJOOW cord over SJEOOW. Difference is the jacket.

So just what is the difference between the jackets?

Looks like the circuit diagram animation was a big hit. How did you do it?

Great job on another video!! Well done, accurate and to the point! The animation was super cool.

One quick point, I would suggest SJOOW cord over SJEOOW. Difference is the jacket.

Thanks the comment I appreciate it. Had a lot of fun making it hard to keep it under 15 minutes I'll tell you that much.

It would seem that there's interest in these type of videos I haven't found too many of them online so I'll keep doing them.

Thanks for the info on the cord I think I used the other one in my system because it's more of a power tool jacket is that correct? More flexible?

Thanks again!

Cheers!

I vote for wiring up a panel next. How to crimp, dealing with 2 wires at one terminal, wire routing, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Here is the latest. It turned out a bit lengthy as well... Can't seem to get the time down! Too much to cover all at once I guess. Have a look and let me know if I missed something. Got the RIMS diagram from @doug293cz and I will be working on that next.

Here is the link. Electric Brewing Series - Part 3

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thumbnail.jpg

I like your vids! Well done, easy to understand and informative. Will help many seeking this type of info. Nice job! I also like your Kal clone! I built one with Sabco kegs and tri clover fittings on portable stands for the kettles and control box. I love electric!

John

John

I like your vids! Well done, easy to understand and informative. Will help many seeking this type of info. Nice job! I also like your Kal clone! I built one with Sabco kegs and tri clover fittings on portable stands for the kettles and control box. I love electric!

John

John

Thanks John! They might be boring for some, but i know when i was building my system it was alot of reading and figuring it out on my own. I hope to remove some of the mystery around it. Best thing i ever did IMO.

Thanks for watching !
Cheers
Brian

Well done. One comment... it would be helpful to explain what the different wire guages (AWG) mean and their respective current carrying capacity. Would help people understand what color terminal will be used at each connection (e.g. a yellow terminal at an element becaue it is carrying 25A).

Well done. One comment... it would be helpful to explain what the different wire guages (AWG) mean and their respective current carrying capacity. Would help people understand what color terminal will be used at each connection (e.g. a yellow terminal at an element becaue it is carrying 25A).

Good point! Will address it in the next video . Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers!

Nicely done..looking forward to seeing more! :) Am also enjoying your Friday beer reviews..

Thanks! I have a much more advanced RIMS diagram/build coming up. Stay tuned! Thanks on the beer reviews too. Have not had much feedback on those, we like doing them though.

Cheers!
Brian

Back