Dunkelwiezen Recipe. Does it look OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
Sorry about the wierd mix of measurement systems, its what I get my stuff in.

One can of Muntons pre-hopped wheat extract (1.8 kilos)
.5 kilos Muntons light DME
1 kilo Muntons dark DME
.5 pound Chocolate malt seeped
.5 oz of Saaz for 30 minutes
.5 oz of Saaz for 10 minutes

Yeast harvestd from two bottles of Hoegarteen and put in a starter.

In primary until gravity stops moving then bottles for at least two weeks.

Basic idea would be a fairly mild-tasting Belgiany-flavored Dunkelwiezen. Moderately sweat with a bit of light roastyness and just a bit of some Saazy spicy goodness.

Sounds OK?

I generally like to get the color from the grains and use the lightest *ME available. Maybe just switch the 1 kilo of Dark to Light for a total of 1.5 k light, then tinker with the chocolate malt to get the color you want.

Do you have access to Munton's wheat DME? Maybe use that instead of 100% barley? The Wheat *ME are already a blend of wheat and barley, so you'd be down to a pretty small percentage of wheat in this recipe.

Also, why the pre-hopped LME? If you haven't already purchased it, consider non-pre-hopped and just get your own for bittering too.

Well what's up is a few constraints:
1. The only wheat I can get in Korea are grain, Mr. Beer pre-hopped LME and Muntons pre-hopped LME.
2. I've got a crap-load of Muntons dark DME that I've got to use up (mom visited me in Korea, I told her to bring a little wheat and a little dark and the homebrew supply guy where she lives convinced her to bring 50 pounds of Dark DME and a bunch of dark grains instead).
3. My cooling system (giant kimchi bucket full of water that I throw bottles of ice into occasionally) works fairly well, but not well enough to keep the beer cold enough for most strains of yeast in the summer, so will have to do something Belgiany or otherwise resistant to heat.
4. Wife loves Hoegaarten and wants me to brew something at least vaguely like that.

i think your beer will be too strong in alcohol for a weizen if you add all of that dme. just add 0.5 lb of the dark if you have to use it...that will bring you right about where you want to be.

i love saaz...and that's what i've seen in some hoegaarden clones. hoegaarden also uses bitter orange peel and coriander if you can get them.

Deathbrewer: thanks for the advice and the PM.
I should probably cut back on the Dark DME, but I've got 50 pounds of it and I'm itching to start using it :)
As far as the adjuncts go, I've got coriander and I can used dried out mardarin peels as a substitute for bitter organge but do you think those would be appropriate if I'm making it dark?

Well the way I figure it, as stated in the OP, you have a dunkelweizen at the strong end of the style.

Does the pre-hopped extract give Alpha Acid content? Given 4.3% you're at 5.2 IBUs, not counting the pre-hopped extract.

Bosh said:
Deathbrewer: thanks for the advice and the PM.
I should probably cut back on the Dark DME, but I've got 50 pounds of it and I'm itching to start using it :)
As far as the adjuncts go, I've got coriander and I can used dried out mardarin peels as a substitute for bitter organge but do you think those would be appropriate if I'm making it dark?
i've found that most dunkelweizen's are still pretty light beers...they're just darker in color. IMO it would be fine to go for a dark hoegaarden style, especially since you are already using that yeast.

Damn, can't make this one. Homebrew supply is out of Munton's wheat LME and I'm not paying over $20 for a bit over a pound of Mr. Beer wheat LME.

Back