Dry Yeast In a Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcb317

Reaction score
Anybody have any good results using dry yeast in a wit, and if so which strains?

I want to brew a 10 gallon batch this weekend but I dont have time to grow up my yeast from a slant and I dont want to buy the liquid strain again. I was thinking of splitting the batch and pitching Safale S-33 and Safbrew T-58, sound good?

Thanks!

I was really happy with the Brewferm Blanche, but it was my first Wit, so you can take that with a grain of salt. I had rave reviews from everyone who tried it as well. It's also the most expensive dry yeast I've ever bought. it was about $5 at my LHBS.

I was really happy with the Brewferm Blanche, but it was my first Wit, so you can take that with a grain of salt. I had rave reviews from everyone who tried it as well. It's also the most expensive dry yeast I've ever bought. it was about $5 at my LHBS.

Ah, this one does sound good, i'll give this a shot in one of them if I can get a hold of it.

I used S-33 for some Wit and it worked well. I haven't tried another dry strain, but I'd recommend that one...

A second vote for Safbrew WB-06.

I fermented my last wit batch at 68F and got 82% attenuation in 4 days. It was nice and tart, just like I wanted. I'm going to start my next batch at 68F and let it rise to 74 over a couple of days to increase the ester/phenol character.

T-58 yeast worked pretty nice for me on a Wit partial mash..... ended with 1.010. Nice flavor after it sits about 10 days in the bottle.

I've tried the WB-06 on four different batches, and it never has worked out. It always gives a sour aftertaste.

yes, I was very impressed. nearly as good as wlp400..... and 1/4 the price.

Back