Dry yeast for German pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
Can dry yeast be used to make a good German pilsner? Or should liquid yeast be used?

If dry yeast can be used, which types do you recommend?

w34/70 is even better. :) Seriously, though, it's pretty much the gold standard. I also like Fermentis S-189. I've had success with both at warmer temps (low-mid 60s). At the moment, I slightly prefer S-189, but it's much harder to find.

I Use S-189 and 34/70 regularly, both are good. 34/70 seems more tolerant of less than optimal fermenting temps, and S-189 tastes a little cleaner.

I am making a German Pils today with 34/70 and am using 1 pack for 2.5 gallons and when it is done I will use that yeast to brew a 10 gal batch for my Festbier. 34/70 is a good all round choice for dry lager yeast. Here are some interesting comparison...

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/19/ye...-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-23-exbeeriment-results/

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/15/ye...w-3470-vs-saflager-s-189-exbeeriment-results/

http://brulosophy.com/2016/07/21/ye...wlp833-german-bock-lager-exbeeriment-results/

So it seems like you guys (and gals?) like 34/70 and S189.

How much should I use for about 20 liters of 1045 wort?

w34/70 is even better. :) Seriously, though, it's pretty much the gold standard. I also like Fermentis S-189. I've had success with both at warmer temps (low-mid 60s). At the moment, I slightly prefer S-189, but it's much harder to find.

WLP800 and WLP802 Czech Lager - also good liquid alternatives. S189 is ALWAYS available at my homebrew shop.
What I can never seem to find is the German liquid yeasts. If I want to drive to north Jersey Love2Brew usually has the Wyeast alternatives I want ... but if you're looking for dry lager yeast I agree with the S189 choice, definitely.

You could go by your"calcualtor" or the mfg's instructions. I'm looking at a 11.5g packet of S-189 and it says: "dosage 11.5g in 20-30 liters". it has always worked for me, but it is your money.

Probably will not hurt beer by over pitching, but over pitching is over rated from my experience.

Nottingham ale yeast fermented at 52 degrees F. would come seriously close to duplicating a lager yeast for cleanness. Lallemand states that it is acceptable to ferment with Nottingham at as low as 50 degrees F.

OTOH, virtually no one seems to discuss Lallemand's dry lager yeast.

Last edited:
So it seems like you guys (and gals?) like 34/70 and S189.

How much should I use for about 20 liters of 1045 wort?

Slightly more than one to two according to Fermentis Tips and Tricks:

IMG_1540.JPG

Last edited:
Indeed you're correct. I see that they only have one lager yeast (Diamond). I haven't heard anyone mention its use, good or bad.
It's my current favorite dry lager strain! It ferments fast and clean, and drops clear super quick. I've done two rauchbiers, a Vienna, a doppelbock, and a schwarzbier with it. I've read that it's tolerant of higher temps like 34/70, but I haven't tried that yet. Overall I'm really impressed with Diamond Lager and recommend it highly! Barring that, I've had good luck with W-34/70, S-189, and the Mangrove Jack strains as well.

Last edited:
It's my current favorite dry lager strain! It ferments fast and clean, and drops clear super quick. I've done two rauchbiers, a Vienna, a doppelbock, and a schwarzbier with it. I've read that it's tolerant of higher temps like 34/70, but I haven't tried that yet. Overall I'm really impressed with Diamond Lager and recommend it highly!

What temp(s) do you use Diamond at?

I've tried 1 pack of w34/70 around 60F (per the warm ferment threads) and got esters. Tried 2 packs at 54F and still wasn't impressed (esters). So I spoke with a head brewer that was well versed with this yeast (aka their old brewery used this strain a TON). They recommended a VERY heavy handed pitch around 49F to 51F. I got a pack of w34/70 and built it up over time on the stir plate to an estimated 800-900 billion cell count. I used this method because the homebrew shop charges almost $8 a pack for w34/70. Pitched that at 49F and I'll be damned...It was actually clean! Seems like this yeast is finnicky so if you were going to ferment at 54F I'd recommend 4 packs at the very least. 49F would need 8 packs.

Thank you for the 34/70 comment on flavor and temperature quirks.
I thought I'd gotten a foul packet or an infection when first using that dry strain near 60F. My first and only 34/70 beer turned out with a moderately acidic tang I didn't like and out the door it went.

Last edited:
Back