Dry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabresfan44

Reaction score
First brew in this style and I have a couple questions.

1. Is it necessary to mash at 120 for 15min then 150 for 60min?
2. Is 4 weeks to ferment and age enough?

I'd say the mashing timings would depend on the amount/types of grains you're using. That said, I've never mashed for longer than 120min *total* for any batch, so my gut reaction would be no to 1.

For 2, "enough" is somewhat subjective, but I'd also be inclined to say no to that, pending some numbers. What's your OG? For a standard Dry Stout (somewhere 1.036-1.050), you could probably do a 4 week turnover plus a few days for force carbing (if kegging). If you're bottling, I'd expect it to taste a bit green until probably 6-8 weeks, minimum.

Im looking at 1048 OG and forced carbed so they 4 weeks should be fine. It will probably be 6-8 until its on tap anyways.

I generally mash at 150-54 for 60min on all batches. Would there be benefits from mashing at the schedule Jamil recommends?

I can't think of any benefits offhand that would apply to a stout, but I'll defer to those with more experience for a better response. I'm still young to the all-grain strategies, so there may very well be something I'm missing.

Mash low, about 148, for 60-90min. IMO 120 is overkill on such a small beer.

Use a high attenuating yeast, not Irish Ale. Try Dry English Ale (WLP007).

4 weeks is plenty for a Dry Stout.

the 120 is a protein rest and depending on the grains you're using could or could not be necessary... if there's a high percentage of under modified grains, do the protein rest, if not, don't bother - you could wind up thinning your brew down beyond what you like. with a stout, i'd think you'd want good mouthfeel and a protein rest counters that from my experience.

the 120 is a protein rest and depending on the grains you're using could or could not be necessary... if there's a high percentage of under modified grains, do the protein rest, if not, don't bother - you could wind up thinning your brew down beyond what you like. with a stout, i'd think you'd want good mouthfeel and a protein rest counters that from my experience.

Here's my grainbill.

7lbs Maris Otter
2lbs Flaked Barley
1lb Roasted Barley
3.50z Acid Malt

Doesn't appear to me I have a high percentage of under modified grains. Thoughts?

Plus, I want a nice heavy (in the best sense of the term) mouthfeel.

I generally have my dry stout kegged 10 days after it was brewed. I shoot for a lower OG though, around 1.040, fermented with S-04.

Lots of healthy yeast & temp control. Pro brewers swear by it & so do I.

Latest posts

Back