I found this in the recipe section and it looks cool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so here is another possible to move into a different style. Recipe was found in the recipe section of the forum I believe.

All Grain
Wyeast 2112
Batch size is 5.5 gallons
OG 1.054
FG 1.010
Boil Time 90 minutes
Primary Fermentation 3 weeks at 58
Additional info: Lager in keg for about 1.5 months.

Ingredient list:

10lbs Weyerman Bohemian Pilsen

Hop
1oz Perle at 90
.5oz Cascade at 15
.5oz Cascade at 5

Mash at 150 for 75 minutes

Now for my question. I have never had great luck with liquid yeast so I am thinking of trying to sub with a dry yeast. I am going to assume 2 packs are going to be needed at it seems to be fermenting at a lower temp. What is a good sub for the Wyeast listed in the recipe? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

i found this question was very easily answered with a simple google search.

https://www.morebeer.com/questions/205
it appears 2112 is L05 cable car California lager yeast.
i think thats hard to find
morebeer suggests s23 but i dont like the flavor profile of s23 i feel it throws esters more easily than the other dry lager yeasts.

i would use diamond lager yeast .

although recently i really like the cellarscience baja for clean lagers and its cheap.

Now for my question. I have never had great luck with liquid yeast so I am thinking of trying to sub with a dry yeast. I am going to assume 2 packs are going to be needed at it seems to be fermenting at a lower temp. What is a good sub for the Wyeast listed in the recipe? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I've done an extremely similar beer and one pack of 34/70 should be just fine. I always ferment at 58* with that strain and then do your lager practices after a couple weeks.

i found this question was very easily answered with a simple google search.

https://www.morebeer.com/questions/205
it appears 2112 is L05 cable car California lager yeast.
i think thats hard to find
morebeer suggests s23 but i dont like the flavor profile of s23 i feel it throws esters more easily than the other dry lager yeasts.

i would use diamond lager yeast .

although recently i really like the cellarscience baja for clean lagers and its cheap.
I actually did the google search as you suggested. I was looking more for real life users who could offer more than just a comparison. Thank you for your suggestion on the Diamond lager, that was one of the ones I was looking at.

I've done an extremely similar beer and one pack of 34/70 should be just fine. I always ferment at 58* with that strain and then do your lager practices after a couple weeks.
Awesome. Thank you so much. I think that is what I am going to go with. So, two weeks fermenting, move to a keg and then lager at say 35 or so for a month and a half?

I wouldn't overthink it. I'd personally use whatever dry lager strain you have the best experience with, or 34/70 if you're new to lagers, because it's the closest to a foolproof lager yeast you're going to get. In any case, sensory differences between lager strains are going to be subtle, and likely not too noticeable over those hops.

I'd probably pitch two packs, as that's the recommendation. 34/70 tends to be on the expensive side for dry yeast. Order 10 from RiteBrew for a better price.

Awesome. Thank you. If possible, would you be able to post a review of the brew?
The recipe I‘m doing today is 2-row instead of Pilsner and all Cascade hops. It’s a basic, 1.050, Fizzy Yellow Beer. I’ve brewed this recipe several times, some with Pilsen malt, some with 2-row, and some with American hops and some with Noble hops. If you want a good, basic, lager, that won’t scare lite beer drinkers, this simple recipe is hard to beat.

The recipe I‘m doing today is 2-row instead of Pilsner and all Cascade hops. It’s a basic, 1.050, Fizzy Yellow Beer. I’ve brewed this recipe several times, some with Pilsen malt, some with 2-row, and some with American hops and some with Noble hops. If you want a good, basic, lager, that won’t scare lite beer drinkers, this simple recipe is hard to beat.
I am in the process of doing single hop beers just to see what they bring to the party. I have a motueka priming in bottles. I have done Cascade, Chinook and one other than escapes me. My next one is going to be a Lemon Drop hop. They have all been good, but the Chinook was a bit more bitter than the rest. Good stuff though. I might try using different malts next time.

I wouldn't overthink it. I'd personally use whatever dry lager strain you have the best experience with, or 34/70 if you're new to lagers, because it's the closest to a foolproof lager yeast you're going to get. In any case, sensory differences between lager strains are going to be subtle, and likely not too noticeable over those hops.

I'd probably pitch two packs, as that's the recommendation. 34/70 tends to be on the expensive side for dry yeast. Order 10 from RiteBrew for a better price.
Awesome. Thank you for the info. Going to go with 2 packs of whatever I use I think. The 34/70 is about a buck more than the Lailemand, so cost is not a huge issue.

have a look at cellar science you get an extra gram of yeast and its only 3.99 as opposed to diamond at 6.49 a pack and as alex kay said dont overthink it .
and i am happy so far with the results of cellarscience .

have a look at cellar science you get an extra gram of yeast and its only 3.99 as opposed to diamond at 6.49 a pack and as alex kay said dont overthink it .
and i am happy so far with the results of cellarscience .
Used there Cali yeast with really good results. Thought I would give something else a try just to see, but that is a good one. S05 and Bry97 are two others I have used with really good results.

Glad to read all the yeast suggestions you are getting. Also it's good to see you are searching for what yeast contributes to a brew. Certain yeast strains can really compliment a certain beer style.

As I was reading a suggestion came to mind I wanted to share, when you're looking at the different dry yeast maybe get an extra pack or two to have on hand. There are times when yeast won't take off or you spill some or some other mishap.

Dry yeast will keep for a long time. I just replenished my stock of Safale-05. When I get packs I date them too. I'm not saying keep every type, but a general purpose yeast might save a batch of beer.

Glad to read all the yeast suggestions you are getting. Also it's good to see you are searching for what yeast contributes to a brew. Certain yeast strains can really compliment a certain beer style.

As I was reading a suggestion came to mind I wanted to share, when you're looking at the different dry yeast maybe get an extra pack or two to have on hand. There are times when yeast won't take off or you spill some or some other mishap.

Dry yeast will keep for a long time. I just replenished my stock of Safale-05. When I get packs I date them too. I'm not saying keep every type, but a general purpose yeast might save a batch of beer.
That's a great idea. I have found that my go to's have been S05, Bry97 and Cali yeast so far. I have been thinking of trying to do the harvest thing with a couple of the liquids as well, but that is down to road a bit I think. I ordered two packs of the Lallemand for this last recipe, but might try pitching just one.

So, how many extra do you keep on hand? I have seen posts where you can get the S05 for less if you order 10, but since I only brew maybe once a month or so, 10 might be a bit much. I am thinking maybe 2 or 3 of each one?

Also, how to you keep them when you have the extra's? Fridge? I don't have a huge amount of room, but my beer fridge in my small shop I can put them in there at fridge temps.

Any input would be appreciated.

"Certain yeast strains can really compliment a certain beer style."
- this is really more important than one might think. i know i have read it many times before starting with papazian a million years ago but this has recently become more clear to me after brewing for 30 years or so. i had always generally stuck to a single yeast strain for ales and a single lager ( the cheapest i could find available) yeast strain to keep things simple and prices down. but after recently switching my house strain i was shocked to see how different the same beer tasted with two different lager yeasts. (these were side by side batches with nothing different except the yeast). one of the yeasts cleaned up the beer better but the other was more to style and made the beer much more enjoyable over all.

yeast keeps very well in the fridge redrocker and longer when frozen.

"Certain yeast strains can really compliment a certain beer style."
- this is really more important than one might think. i know i have read it many times before starting with papazian a million years ago but this has recently become more clear to me after brewing for 30 years or so. i had always generally stuck to a single yeast strain for ales and a single lager ( the cheapest i could find available) yeast strain to keep things simple and prices down. but after recently switching my house strain i was shocked to see how different the same beer tasted with two different lager yeasts. (these were side by side batches with nothing different except the yeast). one of the yeasts cleaned up the beer better but the other was more to style and made the beer much more enjoyable over all.
That is good info. I might one day do a double recipe of the same single hop and add two different yeasts to them. I am not sure if s05 and Bry97 are so different to try. But, I am finding in my research that lager strains seem to be very different. Once I get the hang of it, I might do two batches and use two different yeasts to see what I end up with. Good stuff.

also i repitch yeast slurry from the bottom of the fermenter all the time. i dont even wash the yeast i throw in the dead cells and all. i'm not sure why more people dont do this. i usually get 5-6 beers out of one pack of yeast. even with lager yeast instead of pitching two packs i pitch one in 2 gallons of wort and use the cake as a starter for the next 5 gallon batch . ive never had a problem as long as you pitch light to dark and i cant seem to go more then 6 batches without risking it. the beers taste great and i (and swimbo and the friends) cant tell the difference from a repitch vs new pack of dry yeast. except the repitches take off much quicker. with almost no lag time. which i think is prolly a good sign.

i got a split batch of a german lager right now. one with diamond and another with a mexican lager strain - both repitched yeast.

also i repitch yeast slurry from the bottom of the fermenter all the time. i dont even wash the yeast i throw in the dead cells and all. i'm not sure why more people dont do this. i usually get 5-6 beers out of one pack of yeast. even with lager yeast instead of pitching two packs i pitch one in 2 gallons of wort and use the cake as a starter for the next 5 gallon batch . ive never had a problem as long as you pitch light to dark and i cant seem to go more then 6 batches without risking it. the beers taste great and i (and swimbo and the friends) cant tell the difference from a repitch vs new pack of dry yeast. except the repitches take off much quicker. with almost no lag time. which i think is prolly a good sign.

i got a split batch of a german lager right now. one with diamond and another with a mexican lager strain - both repitched yeast.
Great info. Thank you. I think my next batch with the Cali yeast I am going to get a couple of mason jars and sanitize them and store the yeast. It seems to be a good one for my single hop beers. I do want to try and do the freeze them in tubes thing. It looks pretty easy and it could be a fun way to save some of the liquid yeasts I have not tried because I am just too afraid. LOL.

Great advice from fluke tamer! I practice a lot of those suggestions too with my brews. I brew ten gallon batches so I don't always save yeast. There's a kolsch strain from wyeast I will keep. It's in their private collection and only gets released every three years.

For dry yeast keep it in the fridge or freezer. I just bought ten packs of the 05. I use it with many of my brews so I don't mind keeping a lot on hand.

I buy bulk when I can of the items I know I'll use in a year. Also I brew many of the same recipes/styles so I don't need a bunch if different ingredients. Still though, I have accumulated lots of small bags if grain. They'll get used, just like the yeast.

I’m not getting the “different style” thing mentioned in the original post. It looks a whole lot like a steam beer recipe. 2112 is allegedly Anchor’s yeast even. Anchor went out of business this year, They were known to use Northern Brewer and Cascade.

From what I recall, 2112 is a lager yeast, but Steam beer would be made using 2112 at the low end of the ale temp range. If you do it at lager temps then I guess its an American lager.

What is making this a “different style? Or are you just saying its something different from what you usually brew?

I’m not getting the “different style” thing mentioned in the original post. It looks a whole lot like a steam beer recipe. 2112 is allegedly Anchor’s yeast even. Anchor went out of business this year, They were known to use Northern Brewer and Cascade.

From what I recall, 2112 is a lager yeast, but Steam beer would be made using 2112 at the low end of the ale temp range. If you do it at lager temps then I guess its an American lager.

What is making this a “different style? Or are you just saying its something different from what you usually brew?
Sorry, something different for me.

I did a Irish red lager with the steam yeast @46F and it came out like Killian's. It didn't attenuate that well but man it was malty and slightly sweet, went well with the roasted barley.

Back