Dry Hopping with Rose Petals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandphan

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently started homebrewing and am making a Rose Petal IPA. I just siphoned it into a secondary two days ago. I boiled 1 cup of water and 2oz of rose petals and then put the rosewater in the bottom of my secondary and the steeped roses in a muschlin bag and inside of the carboy. I however forgot to put marbles inside of the bag so the rose petals should sink on to the bottom. The muschlin bag is currently floating on top of the brew.

Would this have a huge affect on the turn out? Can I still open my secondary and move the bag around or add a bag of marbles so it sinks?

Thanks!

I would have made a small amount of simple syrup to make the rose water so that when you put it and the rose petal filled bag in there is some fermentation to scrub oxygen out of the petal addition. I’m no believer in LODO but IPA is so delicate with regards to oxidation that I would be nervous about repeatedly opening it and dunking more stuff into the beer.

If You think that the rose ‘dry hop’ would make a big difference - go for it. I am guessing that the boiled rose water will make a much, much greater impact than the petal addition and that most of your planned flavor made it into the beer.

Please report back how it turned out.

I think you can sink them with sanitized marbles. There may be some risk of oxidation, but no more than any other dry hopping. On the other hand, if they're wet, they'll affect the beer. Also, your steep will provide flavor. Keep us posted.

So I may have just ruined my entire batch and am sad. I opened my carboy just now to try to get the rose petals to sink but failed. I was splashing around the carboy to get the petals to sink but it didnt work. I continued to close the carboy and put it away to continue the secondary fermentation process. Did i just ruin my entire batch my splashing and opening the carboy?

sanitize those marbles and your dirty dick beaters (hands) and chuck em down the chute!

Wow, no one jumped in to say SECONDARY BAD!
Rose petals must make the cut for when to use secondary :)

Just open it to add marbles. The headspace is already full of oxygen.

Last edited:
So I may have just ruined my entire batch and am sad. I opened my carboy just now to try to get the rose petals to sink but failed. I was splashing around the carboy to get the petals to sink but it didnt work. I continued to close the carboy and put it away to continue the secondary fermentation process. Did i just ruin my entire batch my splashing and opening the carboy?
If you didn't displace too much of the CO2 sitting on top of the beer, you should be OK.

Did you introduce more oxygen? Yes.
Will that adversely affect the beer? Yes.
Will it be enough to ruin it? Probably not.

At this point just let it ride for a few days and proceed to packaging. It's still going to be beer and it's still going to be fine, maybe even great. I don't think anything you do to try to sink that bag of rose petals is going to help your case though, so my advice would be to RDWHAHB.

Back