Dry hopping using Kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
So I've used Hornindal and Voss and just threw in dry hops at whatever temp I was fermenting at.
Just curious what others are doing.
Drop temp or leave at fermentation temp?

I have been brewing 8 gallon batches and fermenting in two cornys, so ive been able to experiment a bit with cold side changes. I recently brewed a galaxy marris otter smash w hornindal. One keg recieved the dry hops during fermentation @ 92*, and the other was dryhopped after fermentation @ 65*.

The former took longer to ferment (3 days vs 2 days), had a really intense hop burn that lasted a few weeks, but had a much more complex flavor and aroma profile than the latter. The latter was much cleaner and straightforward in aroma and flavor— but a lot more subtle. Both were incredible.

I have been brewing 8 gallon batches and fermenting in two cornys, so ive been able to experiment a bit with cold side changes. I recently brewed a galaxy marris otter smash w hornindal. One keg recieved the dry hops during fermentation @ 92*, and the other was dryhopped after fermentation @ 65*.

The former took longer to ferment (3 days vs 2 days), had a really intense hop burn that lasted a few weeks, but had a much more complex flavor and aroma profile than the latter. The latter was much cleaner and straightforward in aroma and flavor— but a lot more subtle. Both were incredible.
Thanks for the reply. Last time I used Kveik I dry hopped in the 90's. Might try and see how I like it between 65-70.

I also dry hop my Hornindal in the low to mid 60's. I can't quite describe it but dry hopping in the 80's never gave me what I wanted and it took longer for the beers to be enjoyable to me and others who tried them. So, now, it's 60's and below.

To Beer-Lord’s point, one of the reasons I was interested in dry-hopping in the 90s and during fermentation was to shorten the grain to glass cycle; however, this style of dry hopping lead to hop burn that actually delayed the final product.

I only did one kviek beer, so can't compare it to any other method, but when I did it, I just dry hopped at ambient (about 90) for 24 hours, then cold crashed. Worked great

Let fermentation complete and drop it back down to 50-65. If you have the ability to drop yeast and soft crash with co2 connection than go 50-55. If you can’t, put the fermenter in the coolest ambient room in your house.

Back