Dry hopping using Kveik

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

brew703

Reaction score
So I've used Hornindal and Voss and just threw in dry hops at whatever temp I was fermenting at.
Just curious what others are doing.
Drop temp or leave at fermentation temp?

gonefishin2

Reaction score
I have been brewing 8 gallon batches and fermenting in two cornys, so ive been able to experiment a bit with cold side changes. I recently brewed a galaxy marris otter smash w hornindal. One keg recieved the dry hops during fermentation @ 92*, and the other was dryhopped after fermentation @ 65*.

The former took longer to ferment (3 days vs 2 days), had a really intense hop burn that lasted a few weeks, but had a much more complex flavor and aroma profile than the latter. The latter was much cleaner and straightforward in aroma and flavor— but a lot more subtle. Both were incredible.

OP
brew703

brew703

Reaction score
I have been brewing 8 gallon batches and fermenting in two cornys, so ive been able to experiment a bit with cold side changes. I recently brewed a galaxy marris otter smash w hornindal. One keg recieved the dry hops during fermentation @ 92*, and the other was dryhopped after fermentation @ 65*.

The former took longer to ferment (3 days vs 2 days), had a really intense hop burn that lasted a few weeks, but had a much more complex flavor and aroma profile than the latter. The latter was much cleaner and straightforward in aroma and flavor— but a lot more subtle. Both were incredible.
Thanks for the reply. Last time I used Kveik I dry hopped in the 90's. Might try and see how I like it between 65-70.

Beer-lord

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I also dry hop my Hornindal in the low to mid 60's. I can't quite describe it but dry hopping in the 80's never gave me what I wanted and it took longer for the beers to be enjoyable to me and others who tried them. So, now, it's 60's and below.

gonefishin2

Reaction score
To Beer-Lord’s point, one of the reasons I was interested in dry-hopping in the 90s and during fermentation was to shorten the grain to glass cycle; however, this style of dry hopping lead to hop burn that actually delayed the final product.

tyrub42

Reaction score
I only did one kviek beer, so can't compare it to any other method, but when I did it, I just dry hopped at ambient (about 90) for 24 hours, then cold crashed. Worked great

Dgallo

If you ain’t first, you’re last Ricky Bobby
Reaction score
Let fermentation complete and drop it back down to 50-65. If you have the ability to drop yeast and soft crash with co2 connection than go 50-55. If you can’t, put the fermenter in the coolest ambient room in your house.