Dry Hoppin' but I forgot somethin'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Ok, so I was racking my RedRock Blonde Ale clone to the Secondary and thought.. hey why not drop hop! So, without thinking I just tossed .5oz of Czech Saaz Hops in the Carboy and racked. The only problem is the hops are dissolved into fine material that are floating on the top layer of my blonde... Question is.... what is the best method to filter the hops when bottling?? Any techniques? thanks!!

Primary = Guinness Draught Clone
Primary = Brutus Bavarian Lager
Secondary = Blonde Ale
Bottled = Old Rasputin Clone Imperial Stout, Nut Brown Ale
Next = Imperial Oatmeal Stout

:mug:

Put a paint strainer or pantyhose over the bottom of your racking cane before racking tovyou bottling bucket.

Rack out from under them. I don't filter them with anything, and I don't have any problems until I get to the last couple bottles and the wand wants to clog up with little leaf pieces.

They really won't matter too much, but it might be a good time to buy some paint strainers. Get the 5 gallon size and put it in your bottling bucket. Fill it up and then lift out the bag. It should grab most chunky stuff.

Don't fret over the hop junk though. They usually mostly settle out. But I still think the paint strainers are very handy to have.

Dry hopping with pellets is a PITA. Hell, fry hopping at all is a PITA when it comes to racking and bottling. The best way I've found to do it is rack to another carboy, let it settle out for a few days or a week, and then bottle. Your bottle filler will thank you.

Back